Sun River, OR?

Scscsc89

On 7/9/2021 at 11:26 AM, Scscsc89 said:

I was thinking of taking my family there in a few weeks but have no reservations -- am I screwed?

It looks pretty great for kids.

I don't spend much time there, but I would imagine you could still book an AirBnB if you tried.  You could also stay in bend and cruise down there; it's only 20 mins away.

Great bike paths, Oregon Observatory is cool, and I think they recently expanded their pool facilities, etc.  Def a good vacation.  Enjoy the trails, obviously, too.

Are you a golfer, SC? If so, you'll want to lose the family for a few hours.

Some cool geological stuff close by, if you're a geek like me. The Lava Cast Forest, Lava River Cave, Lava Butte (there's a reason Bend High School is the Lava Bears), even Fort Rock and Crack-In-The-Ground (a little further away).

The Lava River cave was closed last year due to COVID, but I think it's open now.  It's badass, but there are lots of cool caves in the region.  Bring multiple light sources and warm clothing (temps are static at like 40 degrees down there).  Arnold Ice Cave, Boyd Caves, etc., are cool, have stairways, but aren't as mobbed with tourists as the Lava River Cave.

Also, we wary of the fires.  We've got shit burning everywhere right now.  

I recommend Tokyo Starfish for your weed.

2 hours ago, Quack 12 said:

Yeah, but I was thinking Lava River would be more suited to California sensibilities. In the latter case, Wind Cave is really great.

It's definitely more suitable for Boomers.  Lots of stairs and flat ground.  Echoing makes it easier to hear people who are warning you of obstacles (no need for a trumpet horn).

As for Californians, they already own this place anyway.  There's no distinction anymore.

• 4 weeks later...

You really should have stopped for some smoke along the way. You were right there in Humbolt County! 😄

But yeah, the death of logging really depressed much of the rural PNW, and decades later it still hasn't rebounded. Basically, beer and weed are the only industries.

There's been pushes to turn towns like Oakridge into recreation meccas (mountain biking, fishing, maybe some rafting), but largely that doesn't lay a foundation for strong industry.  So far only Bend has really been able to make that kinda thing work.

Just went camping out in the Strawberry Mountains last weekend; it was a repeat of a trip from 2019.  The lakes and glaciers appear to be about 80% diminished since 2 years ago.

We are absolutely buttfucking the planet.  To our own detriment.

• 10 months later...

OK -- the Oregon family vacation idea has been resurrected!

Here's what I am thinking:

Fly up, rent a car, 3-4 days in SunRiver and then drive up & stay a night or two along the Columbia Gorge (Hood River?) and then a night in Portland with family. Fly home.  (I could also drive but that compresses the time we are up there)

@Orange

Thoughts?  Suggestions on places to stay along the gorge?

On 7/5/2022 at 12:09 PM, Scscsc89 said:

OK -- the Oregon family vacation idea has been resurrected!

Here's what I am thinking:

Fly up, rent a car, 3-4 days in SunRiver and then drive up & stay a night or two along the Columbia Gorge (Hood River?) and then a night in Portland with family. Fly home.  (I could also drive but that compresses the time we are up there)

@Orange

Thoughts?  Suggestions on places to stay along the gorge?

Sounds like an awesome trip!  You can't go wrong in Hood River, but there are also some incredible hikes -- and perhaps some col Air BnBs -- on the Washington side of the river.  Specifically in Lyle, WA, our family stayed in a nice air BnB, and the hiking trails were far less crowded than on the Oregon side (which has most of the attractions, more shade, etc.).

Hood River is growing like a weed and has no shortage of on-the-water breweries if you're into that kind of thing.

How old are the kids?

My son is 11.    He loves playing in waterfalls & splashing around on banks of creeks but I am kind of guessing that the Colombia is more of a watercraft river.

Right now I am wondering if we do one less night in Sun River so we have two nights on the Gorge but my gut says no.

Good advice to look on the WA side.

On 7/7/2022 at 4:31 PM, Scscsc89 said:

My son is 11.    He loves playing in waterfalls & splashing around on banks of creeks but I am kind of guessing that the Colombia is more of a watercraft river.

Right now I am wondering if we do one less night in Sun River so we have two nights on the Gorge but my gut says no.

Good advice to look on the WA side.

If he likes creeks, then the Mount Hood Nat'l Forest on the Oregon side has incredible hikes and waterfalls.  Tamanawas Falls Trailhead has a great, pretty easy hike (tho it might be a little busy).

Archived