Jump to content

Sun River, OR?


Scscsc89
 Share

Recommended Posts

On 7/16/2022 at 12:02 PM, Scscsc89 said:

 

When we're driving from Bend to Hood River, do you suggest taking 26 via Mt. Hood or 97/197 through the Dalles?

You'll want to go 26, then turnoff at hwy 30, just before Government Camp to head north to HR.  Very pretty drive, right along the river and beneath Mount Hood.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 7/16/2022 at 12:48 PM, KUGRDON said:

Sorry SC, got the numbers mixed up.  I prefer bend to Biggs to hood river.  Easiest drive.

If you want to add an hour (at least) to the trip and drive in a wasteland, sure.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 7/18/2022 at 9:42 AM, Orange said:

You'll want to go 26, then turnoff at hwy 30, just before Government Camp to head north to HR.  Very pretty drive, right along the river and beneath Mount Hood.

 

I'm a little confused but I think you mean 35 right before GovCamp & now realize you're probably talking about the Hood River when you say "the river" while I was thinking the Columbia River! 

Thanks to both of you for your patience and advice!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 7/18/2022 at 11:26 AM, Scscsc89 said:

 

I'm a little confused but I think you mean 35 right before GovCamp & now realize you're probably talking about the Hood River when you say "the river" while I was thinking the Columbia River! 

Thanks to both of you for your patience and advice!

Crap, you're right.   Hwy 30 is up NW of Portland to Astoria, sorry for the confusion!  And yes, Hood River.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 7/18/2022 at 11:32 AM, Scscsc89 said:

Nobody is mentioning The Dalles so I am assuming it's not a highlight.  I mean, it does have THE in the title but maybe that's just marketing

They've done a little work to make it more of a destination (there are some newer breweries, and a spruced-up downtown), but yeah, you can afford to skip The Dalles.   I can't think of anything it has that Hood River doesn't.

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 7/18/2022 at 11:32 AM, Scscsc89 said:

I mean, it does have THE in the title but maybe that's just marketing

Ha! Actually, it's a French reference to rapids that used to run along that stretch of the Columbia, but the dams took care of those.

And I would take small issue with Orange. While the Washington side does have some great trails, it isn't nearly as spectacular as the Oregon side. Be sure you take Columbia River Scenic Highway if you're traveling from Hood River to Portland. It's longer and slower than I-84, but there are a ton of waysides and waterfalls to visit, most with short trails. When it was built during the WWI era, it was touted as the "eighth wonder of the world," which wasn't all hyperbole. While some portions of the highway were destroyed when I-84 was built, good stretches of it remain, and it's pretty amazing. Crown Point, which my dad used to call "The Million Dollar Shithouse," is one highlight. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 7/19/2022 at 4:15 PM, Quack 12 said:

Ha! Actually, it's a French reference to rapids that used to run along that stretch of the Columbia, but the dams took care of those.

And I would take small issue with Orange. While the Washington side does have some great trails, it isn't nearly as spectacular as the Oregon side. Be sure you take Columbia River Scenic Highway if you're traveling from Hood River to Portland. It's longer and slower than I-84, but there are a ton of waysides and waterfalls to visit, most with short trails. When it was built during the WWI era, it was touted as the "eighth wonder of the world," which wasn't all hyperbole. While some portions of the highway were destroyed when I-84 was built, good stretches of it remain, and it's pretty amazing. Crown Point, which my dad used to call "The Million Dollar Shithouse," is one highlight. 

If one has never visited the Columbia river gorge, of course they should check out all Oregon has to offer. I guess I was trying to be original and offer alternatives to crowds (which are terrible right now).  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Great trip although my son caught Covid so I drove Portland-San Jose yesterday instead of flying.    Saved $165 on the car rental for keeping it for 2 extra days and returning it to SFO instead of PDX 🤷🏻‍♂️ 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

We really enjoyed tubing down the deschutes & the lava cave hike outside Sun River.   The waterfront park in Hood River has a great beach for kids

 

staying on the Washington side was a great call.

 

Don — we went by the alpine slide but it was too hot/crowded to try it.

 

thanks for all the suggestions.  Beautiful country

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
  • Donate

    Please donate to support this community. We appreciate all donations!



    138% of donation goal reached.
    Donate Sidebar by DevFuse
×
×
  • Create New...