PAC 12 Basketball 21-22

KUGRDON

On 1/18/2022 at 5:57 PM, Chile_Ute said:

I’m laughing through the tears....looking at extending the streak to 8 this week.  Farkin eh!!

Well my friend, we broke a record tonight. And not the good kind. Prior to this season, our longest losing streak in school history was 8, two times. 2011-2012 and 1942-1943.. 114 seasons of basketball and Smith broke his first significant Utah record tonight with our 9th straight loss and got rolled by about 20 points.  

The kids play hard and have decent defense but really, it's a hodge podge of a team put together with duct tape. We have no set, consistent lineup and a bunch of confusion.  We give away leads, if we can ever get one. Zero player leadership and closers.

Smith was 79-24(76%) in three seasons at Utah State. His first year there, he went 28-7 with other coach's kids, went to the Dance 2 of his 3 years there, with one year of no Dance in 2019-2020 due to Covid.  That year, they won the MWC tourney. 

The PAC is a step up in play but there's obviously a bigger disconnect.  Way too early to give up on Craig but these numbers are pathetic.  Smells like Jim Boylen in the Huntsman Center. Even Jim went 18-15 his first season. 

Have a whiskey shot tonight for our sorrows.  Cheers.

• Replies 189
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 1/26/2022 at 10:21 PM, utenation said:

Well my friend, we broke a record tonight. And not the good kind. Prior to this season, our longest losing streak in school history was 8, two times. 2011-2012 and 1942-1943.. 114 seasons of basketball and Smith broke his first significant Utah record tonight with our 9th straight loss and got rolled by about 20 points.  

The kids play hard and have decent defense but really, it's a hodge podge of a team put together with duct tape. We have no set, consistent lineup and a bunch of confusion.  We give away leads, if we can ever get one. Zero player leadership and closers.

Smith was 79-24(76%) in three seasons at Utah State. His first year there, he went 28-7 with other coach's kids, went to the Dance 2 of his 3 years there, with one year of no Dance in 2019-2020 due to Covid.  That year, they won the MWC tourney. 

The PAC is a step up in play but there's obviously a bigger disconnect.  Way too early to give up on Craig but these numbers are pathetic.  Smells like Jim Boylen in the Huntsman Center. Even Jim went 18-15 his first season. 

Krystkowiak’s attrition woes and the transfer portal didn’t help anything.  This is a ‘from the ground up’ rebuild of our program.  Smith is a heads and shoulders better coach than Boylen.  Despite their streak, the guys are playing hard throughout which I think is important.  Smith has his work cut out for him.

I remember when I used to drink through FB season knowing that BB season would soothe the pain.  Just need to flip the script for the next season or 2.

On 1/26/2022 at 9:21 PM, utenation said:

This sounds eerily similar to how any reporter would write up my coaching of my son's 3rd/4th grade basketball team.  I want to declare here and now that I am eminently unqualified and welcome a replacement.  Sadly, I volunteered, so fuck me.

On 1/27/2022 at 7:33 AM, Chile_Ute said:

Krystkowiak’s attrition woes and the transfer portal didn’t help anything.  This is a ‘from the ground up’ rebuild of our program.  Smith is a heads and shoulders better coach than Boylen.  Despite their streak, the guys are playing hard throughout which I think is important.  Smith has his work cut out for him.

I remember when I used to drink through FB season knowing that BB season would soothe the pain.  Just need to flip the script for the next season or 2.

This is how I felt about FB  and BB while waiting for baseball season.

Now it seems even our baseball program may fall into mediocrity.

On 1/27/2022 at 8:33 AM, Chile_Ute said:

The Boylen touch was just for shock value. Boylen was an embarrassing goon with his antics.. Craig is a positive guy. I just don't know if he can coach Utah. We have some talent with Carlson and Gach and yes Branden has missed more than a few games with injuries/surgery along with a few others but every team has injuries at this point.

I haven't checked every game but I see a whole bunch of dudes getting 15 min or so a game, which speaks to the rotation issue. A good coach finds a way to make average guys better and I don't think it's unrealistic to think we can be better than last place in the PAC given Smith's record at USU.

Like I said, I'm not giving up on Craig but he better get his shit together next year. I'll even take average to small progress but we've seen too much good basketball at our school to accept failure. Sadly, you have to be kinda old like us to remember big Rick's era. Larry had a few good years and even Giac rode Bogut to a S16 run but pretty lean these days..

Rant over.🤢

On 1/27/2022 at 8:45 AM, Orange said:

This sounds eerily similar to how any reporter would write up my coaching of my son's 3rd/4th grade basketball team.  I want to declare here and now that I am eminently unqualified and welcome a replacement.  Sadly, I volunteered, so fuck me.

Maybe you should have a team movie day and watch Hoosiers. lol

On 1/27/2022 at 8:29 AM, utenation said:

Maybe you should have a team movie day and watch Hoosiers. lol

May as well, considering all the practice in the world doesn't seem to be helping.  I really can't overstate how much these kids suck.  Dear god.  My tongue hurts from biting it constantly.

On 1/28/2022 at 9:13 AM, Orange said:

May as well, considering all the practice in the world doesn't seem to be helping.  I really can't overstate how much these kids suck.  Dear god.  My tongue hurts from biting it constantly.

Dude. Have fun. Teach them the basics and remember, you being their coach means you are helping kids play organized sports, learn teamwork and not spend that time on video games or snap chat etc. Even if they suck, if they have fun, they will come back for more.

That's what I tell myself when I deal with the kid who has "anxiety" about gym noise and therefore his parents make him wear earplugs in practices & games.  So he never hears a single fucking instruction I give.

In all sincerity, I'm glad I'm doing it.  It's just a bigger challenge than Little League or soccer.  The disparity among children's size/experience is never more stark than in hoops.

On 1/28/2022 at 3:10 PM, Orange said:

That's what I tell myself when I deal with the kid who has "anxiety" about gym noise and therefore his parents make him wear earplugs in practices & games.  So he never hears a single fucking instruction I give.

In all sincerity, I'm glad I'm doing it.  It's just a bigger challenge than Little League or soccer.  The disparity among children's size/experience is never more stark than in hoops.

You'd should find an assistant coach like Shooter. ;)

Archived