Texas and Oklahoma leaving Big 12?

DenverUte13

• Replies 225
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 8/17/2021 at 3:17 PM, EastCoastFan said:

I don't know what you saw in the census data, but it doesn't show a decline in population in most of the western US.  What it does show is that farm-belt states, rust-belt states, and New England all have slowed growth, while the west and south are gaining in population.

What's more telling (and worrisome) about college football in the west is the rate of high school participation in the sport.  The prime resevoir of Pac-12 football talent comes from California, a state that saw participation in HS football drop by 12,435 players from 2014 to 2019, highest in the nation.  Washington also lost a lot, almost 3,000 players, to rank 7th nationally in player decline.  Along with a number of Big Ten states, these numbers are telling about the talent base for recruiting.  On the reverse side, Texas gained 1,643 players and Alabama nearly 900.

It's a combination of the changing demographics in CA in addition to those HS football participation numbers that has the future of football out west in question.  That is something that the new NIL rights could reverse but in order to get the best NIL deals, having a passionate fan base is probably a requirement and the P12 doesn't have that in spades.

This does have the potential to benefit CU football over the long run since CU is the closest P12 school to anything east of the Rockies so I should be excited at this prospect but I am not since we very well could be past the golden age of college football.  That is why I have watched more soccer this summer than in the last decade or two.

On 8/22/2021 at 7:00 PM, Jalapeno said:

It's a combination of the changing demographics in CA in addition to those HS football participation numbers that has the future of football out west in question.  That is something that the new NIL rights could reverse but in order to get the best NIL deals, having a passionate fan base is probably a requirement and the P12 doesn't have that in spades.

This does have the potential to benefit CU football over the long run since CU is the closest P12 school to anything east of the Rockies so I should be excited at this prospect but I am not since we very well could be past the golden age of college football.  That is why I have watched more soccer this summer than in the last decade or two.

Ah yes, the fabled "how many kids in your house play HS football" question on the census....

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/7/2021 at 12:13 PM, HLB said:

The PAC12 only has ten teams, and yet they call themselves he PAC12.  The Big Ten has 14 teams, and yet they call themselves the Big Ten.

Are you trying to be parody account or something?  like your best impersonation of a Maga/SEC troll?  The Pac 12 indeed has 12 teams.

Archived