Motorsports Thread

PAC MAN

http://motorsportstalk.nbcsports.com/2013/07/23/nascar-returning-to-nbc-sports-starting-in-2015/related/

NASCAR is returning to NBC starting in 2015 and will split the season with Fox.  I guess ESPN realized that people actually watch football during the NASCAR Chase for the Championship.

This runs from 2015 to 2024 which I think is around the same time the Pac-12 and Big 12 media deals expire.  

http://www.nascar.com/en_us/news-media/articles/2013/07/22/eldora-speedway-dirt-nascar-news-camping-world-truck-series.html

NASCAR returns to its roots by having a dirt race for the trucks. 

• 5 months later...

Almost forgot that there was a thread for motorsports such as NASCAR.

Anyone catch the news about NASCAR's new qaulifying format?

http://espn.go.com/racing/nascar/story/_/id/10334175/nascar-moves-knockout-qualifying-format

No more single care qualifying for two laps!  Watching paint dry finally reclaims its rightful place in the top spot of boring stuff to watch.

The system is similar to formats used for non-oval Formula One and IndyCar events.

On tracks of 1.25 miles in length or longer, all cars will qualify collectively for up to 25 minutes, with the top 24 based on fastest laps advancing for a subsequent 10-minute session.

The top 12 from that group will advance to the final, five-minute round.

On tracks shorter than 1.25 miles in length, all cars will begin qualifying in a 30-minute group session, with the field narrowed to the top 12 for a 10-minute final period. Cars or trucks knocked out after the initial round will be sorted based on their times from the first round, in descending order. The fastest remaining cars from the second session will earn positions 13th through 24th based on their times posted in qualifying in descending order.

It would have been awesome to have twin qualifying races like the ones before the Daytona 500 for every single race.

NASCAR FAQ on Qualifying: http://www.jayski.com/pages/pdfs/qualifying_fastfacts_faqs_012214.pdf

You're on to something, West Coast, but that is too broad of a stroke. I, myself, am a fat white guy, with facial hair. Often times, mainly because I don't care all that much, I cut my shit poorly, and it's crooked. I will trim the length of my beard/goatee and miss spots. Uneven sideburns like a muh.

And, I don't get NASCAR.

I understand there is strategy and stamina involved, but when all the cars have specific guidelines which they must follow, it would seem wise to have the highest performance possible, like everyone else, so the human factor is what wins the race... I get all that. But is it athletic enough to be considered a sport? I guess it's hard in that you have to control a race car, and your bladder, for hours, and be super focused, and it's dangerous, but athletic? I guess it is more of a sport than poker, which is more of a sport than chess, which is more of a sport than fantasy football. But it is less of a sport than horse racing, and gymnastics and table tennis (pro).

But the stereotype, like most stereotypes, is truth-borne at some point. There are a grip of fat white dudes who shave poorly that like NASCAR, no doubt, just not me.

The most common reason I've found that people get in to NASCAR is if their parents were in to NASCAR. There are a couple employees at my work that have 88 tattoos (Earnhardt, maybe?). They're women. I bet their dads liked the mess out of some NASCAR.

And beer too. Though not like everyone who drinks lots of Silver Bullets is a NASCAR fan- but most NASCAR fans drink beer in cans by the dozen.

However, I will concede that it looks like a fun time to go watch a race live. I never have. I'm referring to NASCAR on TV only. It's like hockey, that way, I would imagine. I have been to a WinterHawks game, and it was fun, but I hate hockey on TV. If I ever go to a race, maybe it will be fun.

homie. this is the pac 12 board, not the big12/sec board.  people who like nascar are fat white dudes, white dudes with bad facial hair and fat white dudes with bad facial hair. 

haha jp. but not really. 

LOL...I think I could say the same thing about Raiders fans...they probably dress up that way to cover themselves up.  Southerners love their college football, racing, and pro wrestling.  Being born in Oklahoma and living there and Texas at points in my early childhood, I guess there is some southerner in me.

The funny thing is that a good number of NASCAR Sprint Cup drivers are from California.  Namely Jimmie Johnson, Jeff Gordon, and Kevin Haravick to begin with.  The Busch brothers are from Vegas as well.

Rat: My parents were never into NASCAR but I was exposed to that sport when I watched ESPN a lot in the 1990's.  NASCAR has been trying to get away from its southeastern US roots with some mixed success.  I think they will eventually do that at the same time return to their roots as Brad Kelowski said on his Twitter page.  It was used until the 1990's.

If anyone has other racing interests besides NASCAR, here is this thread.

You're on to something, West Coast, but that is too broad of a stroke. I, myself, am a fat white guy, with facial hair. Often times, mainly because I don't care all that much, I cut my shit poorly, and it's crooked. I will trim the length of my beard/goatee and miss spots. Uneven sideburns like a muh.

And, I don't get NASCAR.

I understand there is strategy and stamina involved, but when all the cars have specific guidelines which they must follow, it would seem wise to have the highest performance possible, like everyone else, so the human factor is what wins the race... I get all that. But is it athletic enough to be considered a sport? I guess it's hard in that you have to control a race car, and your bladder, for hours, and be super focused, and it's dangerous, but athletic? I guess it is more of a sport than poker, which is more of a sport than chess, which is more of a sport than fantasy football. But it is less of a sport than horse racing, and gymnastics and table tennis (pro).

But the stereotype, like most stereotypes, is truth-borne at some point. There are a grip of fat white dudes who shave poorly that like NASCAR, no doubt, just not me.

The most common reason I've found that people get in to NASCAR is if their parents were in to NASCAR. There are a couple employees at my work that have 88 tattoos (Earnhardt, maybe?). They're women. I bet their dads liked the mess out of some NASCAR.

And beer too. Though not like everyone who drinks lots of Silver Bullets is a NASCAR fan- but most NASCAR fans drink beer in cans by the dozen.

However, I will concede that it looks like a fun time to go watch a race live. I never have. I'm referring to NASCAR on TV only. It's like hockey, that way, I would imagine. I have been to a WinterHawks game, and it was fun, but I hate hockey on TV. If I ever go to a race, maybe it will be fun.

I agree too broad of a stroke. And rat, u may be fat, white and have bad facial hair but

You were on my favorite college team ever, and hopefully got some unnecessary roughness calls... You're cool in my eyes

I do like f1 racing tho. But again I don't care about racing cars. Just something about the pageantry... Aka hot ass

International girls.

That would explain why NASCAR fans want to go to the racetracks even if it's with their ugly girlfriends or wives.

I agree too broad of a stroke. And rat, u may be fat, white and have bad facial hair but

You were on my favorite college team ever, and hopefully got some unnecessary roughness calls... You're cool in my eyes

You slipped me the tongue yesterday ( :P) and now are telling Rat he's cool.  No inter-board dating.

Archived