ACC is out

HLB

With Clemson's loss, the ACC will not be represented in the CFP.  The remaining undefeated ACC teams (Wake Forest, Boston College) will not go undefeated, nor win the ACC.  This opens the door for an undefeated, or 1-loss PAC12 Champion, Oregon, to make a case for the CFP.

As it stands right now, BAMA, Georgia, Oregon and either ND or the BIG TEN Champion look to be in the CFP.  Oklahoma won't go undefeated and will miss out.

But things could be different next week.

Stanford over Oregon, Ole Miss over BAMA, Arkansas over Georgia and Cincinnati over ND are all very real possibilities.  Some potentially epic games coming up on Saturday.

On 9/27/2021 at 9:25 PM, Jalapeno said:

Still a little early...let's play the rest of the season out and find out.

Oregon has a legitimate shot to make the playoffs.  The loss to Fresno State will keep UCLA out, even if they win out and win the PAC12 Championship.

Clemson is out.  Who in the ACC do you think can make it?  Boston College?  Wake Forest?  Neither will go undefeated, and the ACC won't have an undefeated, or one-loss conference champion.

Oklahoma keeps skating by against average competition.  I think Kansas State upsets them this week (just as they did last year).  And OK State looks to be the stronger team.  OU is going to lose two games.  They're not playing well enough to do better.  However, OK State may finish the year as a 1-loss Big 12 Champion and make the CFP.

Notre Dame has one team remaining on their schedule, that is a valid threat to beat them, and that team is this week:  Cincinnati.  I'm no so sure ND will beat Cincy.

On 9/26/2021 at 10:41 PM, HLB said:

But things could be different next week.

I think you missed this statement, that I made ....

Right now:  I think Georgia is stronger than BAMA; Ole Miss is a valid threat to beat BAMA, and if they do, win the SEC West.  Arkansas is playing very well, and while I think Georgia is the better and more complete team, it wouldn't surprise me to see Arkansas beat UGA on Saturday .... Of course, it also wouldn't surprise me to see Georgia win handily.

On 9/28/2021 at 2:24 PM, HLB said:

Notre Dame has one team remaining on their schedule, that is a valid threat to beat them

Just FYI, that's a un-necessary comma. 😂

I'm not sure how you define "valid threat," but it certainly helps that five of ND's last eight are at home. Obviously Wisconsin is the Irish' most impressive win, but the jury's out on Wiscy.

On 9/28/2021 at 2:24 PM, HLB said:

Oregon has a legitimate shot to make the playoffs.  The loss to Fresno State will keep UCLA out, even if they win out and win the PAC12 Championship.

Clemson is out.  Who in the ACC do you think can make it?  Boston College?  Wake Forest?  Neither will go undefeated, and the ACC won't have an undefeated, or one-loss conference champion.

Oklahoma keeps skating by against average competition.  I think Kansas State upsets them this week (just as they did last year).  And OK State looks to be the stronger team.  OU is going to lose two games.  They're not playing well enough to do better.  However, OK State may finish the year as a 1-loss Big 12 Champion and make the CFP.

Notre Dame has one team remaining on their schedule, that is a valid threat to beat them, and that team is this week:  Cincinnati.  I'm no so sure ND will beat Cincy.

I think you missed this statement, that I made ....

Right now:  I think Georgia is stronger than BAMA; Ole Miss is a valid threat to beat BAMA, and if they do, win the SEC West.  Arkansas is playing very well, and while I think Georgia is the better and more complete team, it wouldn't surprise me to see Arkansas beat UGA on Saturday .... Of course, it also wouldn't surprise me to see Georgia win handily.

You realize Clemson only has one loss, right?  They could very easily finish with 1 loss.

On 9/28/2021 at 3:24 PM, HLB said:

UO wins out and they are in the CFP.  If not, it's not going to be a good look for college football in general.

Norte Dame very well could take the ACC's playoff spot even without playing in the ACC CCG.  All they have to do is win out and that includes beating Cincinnati.  It doesn't mean the rest of the road will be easy as they have @VT, USC, UNC, and @Stanford on their remaining schedule who will want to give the Irish all they can handle.  They make the CFP this year, they will not bat an eye when it comes to joining the ACC in football until next decade perhaps.

OU wins out, they could be in.

If the B1G championship has one loss while Oregon, Norte Dame, and Oklahoma are undefeated, there will be only one SEC team in the CFP this year.

Archived