Coaching Changes

Scscsc89

On 11/15/2021 at 11:11 AM, clpp01 said:

But they do give you 4 wives as a signing bonus

Since BYU is a bunch of cheap bastards, the 4 wives bonus seems even worse considering the wallet takes a hit with just one wife. 4 would be poverty. 

BYU really does manipulate their coaching situations.. They spin the job as more of a church calling and service to the church and get away with paying coaches pennies compared to market value. There is a reason coaching salaries aren't published there.  BYU has plenty of money and any smart coach would move on with success but their puppet mastering seems to keep them there for the most part.

I'd bet Sitake makes mid level G5 pay..

On 11/15/2021 at 11:27 AM, utenation said:

Since BYU is a bunch of cheap bastards, the 4 wives bonus seems even worse considering the wallet takes a hit with just one wife. 4 would be poverty. 

BYU really does manipulate their coaching situations.. They spin the job as more of a church calling and service to the church and get away with paying coaches pennies compared to market value. There is a reason coaching salaries aren't published there.  BYU has plenty of money and any smart coach would move on with success but their puppet mastering seems to keep them there for the most part.

I'd bet Sitake makes mid level G5 pay..

It works for them, plenty of sheep within the cult who are willing to accept poverty and Frey women as wives.

On 11/15/2021 at 11:40 AM, clpp01 said:

It works for them, plenty of sheep within the cult who are willing to accept poverty and Frey women as wives.

Ironically, BYU's potential coaching pool is very small. Not many sane people would go their and uphold their unrealistic standards for players and recruits. And they want their coach squeaky clean and LDS.

Last guy that tried to bend the standards and get better athletes ended up in an embarrassing scandal. Granted, these clowns would not be tolerated at most schools but BYU didn't look good with this.

https://www.deseret.com/2004/12/4/19864973/4-former-y-players-indicted-in-scandal#karland-bennett

On 11/15/2021 at 9:09 AM, utenation said:

Thoughts on replacements? 

I think Kalani Sitake at BYU is going to be a hot name for a few jobs. BYU doesn't pay coaches..

I would prefer a coach with head coaching experience, and not another first time head coach (Sark, Lake). I have read a few lists and am intrigued by the following candidates:

• Kalen DeBoer at Fresno State: seems like a very promising candidate that will get offers for a bigger job this cycle, so there will be competition although not sure the top programs (USC, LSU) are looking at him. His record at NAIA Sioux Falls was 67-3. His current offense looks really good. 
  • Bob Stoops.  His record is obviously excellent (190-48, with a national championship). He's been out of the game for a while, but he must have great connections for assistant coaches. Does he have the fire for the brave new world of college football with NIL and transfer portal?
  • Tom Herman. Don't know enough about him. 
  • Billy Napier. Just learning about him, but seems on par with DeBoer. 
  • Justin Wilcox.  I like him (has a certain Tom Osborne vibe), and he could potentially be good with a top level OC. His record at Cal is really not good though.  Is UW so different from Cal that we could expect hugely different results? I think that is wishful thinking. 
  •  Kalani Sitaki. He would be very solid, but i doubt he would leave BYU. 
  • Jeff Choate / Joe Moorhead. Intriguing, but need to learn more.  

I really don't know what i'm talking about. See above.

On 11/15/2021 at 6:36 PM, row Z said:

I really don't know what i'm talking about. See above.

This podcast summarizes & ranks 50 something USC candidates in an hour something if you want to know a little about a lot.

https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/reign-of-troy-radio-on-usc-football/id541033361?i=1000541182378

https://www.stitcher.com/show/reign-of-troy-radio/episode/episode-424-tier-ranking-uscs-head-coaching-candidates-88149260

On 11/15/2021 at 11:50 AM, utenation said:

Ironically, BYU's potential coaching pool is very small. Not many sane people would go their and uphold their unrealistic standards for players and recruits. And they want their coach squeaky clean and LDS.

Last guy that tried to bend the standards and get better athletes ended up in an embarrassing scandal. Granted, these clowns would not be tolerated at most schools but BYU didn't look good with this.

https://www.deseret.com/2004/12/4/19864973/4-former-y-players-indicted-in-scandal#karland-bennett

Not to mention their university standards and punishment are about 1,000% more likely to be enforced against athletes, and in particular athletes of color.

BYU and Mormonism are virulently racist institutions who gloss it over with a veneer of Wednesday game night and hot blondes who don't show shoulders.

On 11/15/2021 at 6:36 PM, row Z said:

Justin Wilcox.  I like him (has a certain Tom Osborne vibe), and he could potentially be good with a top level OC. His record at Cal is really not good though.  Is UW so different from Cal that we could expect hugely different results? I think that is wishful thinking. 

He was doing fine until COVID came along, and the most-strict-covid-standards in the conference cut about 25 players from his roster and made an already difficult place to recruit even tougher, just from game to game.  I think it's a totally different situation at any other program, and that includes UW.

On 11/16/2021 at 8:58 AM, Orange said:

He was doing fine until COVID came along, and the most-strict-covid-standards in the conference cut about 25 players from his roster and made an already difficult place to recruit even tougher, just from game to game.  I think it's a totally different situation at any other program, and that includes UW.

Agree. He was definitely trending in the right direction.  5-7, 7-6, 8-5 then Covid sunk him.

On 11/16/2021 at 8:27 AM, azgreg said:

Agree. He was definitely trending in the right direction.  5-7, 7-6, 8-5 then Covid sunk him.

Hmm. He would need to explain the COVID impact on his program really well in the interview, and also outline a plan for his offense with potential OCs, and for recruiting. Positives are that the knows the conference very well, has had consistently good defenses, and presents well. If UW strikes out on some top names, I could see Wilcox being a candidate and i would be open to it.  

I’d love him — although everyone is saying that LSU is going to go after Mel Tucker, I think they may be interested In Aranda, especially after his win against Oklahoma this last weekend.  He was their DC for their most recent NC.

Aranda, Fickell, and Campbell are definitely the cream of the crop but may not want to head west.  

On 11/16/2021 at 10:58 AM, Orange said:

Cal and Stanford are the only two P5 schools in the top ten universities in the world.  For football and basketball, the minuses can outweigh the plusses.  Both schools have standards that make consistent winning difficult, and with the Bay Area Covid issues, another layer is added.  Pre-Covid, for a good while Stanford seemed to have figured out how to deal with the the academic threshold by having special admissions, athletic course tracking, and over-the-top tutoring.  Stanford also branded themselves as a "If you don't make it to the pros, we can land you a $100,000+ a year job" school.  Cal has been less successful at all of that, and is a graveyard for coaches.  Wilcox?  He could be great at the right location.