Coaching Changes

Scscsc89

On 11/28/2021 at 7:49 PM, HLB said:

Riley was not happy with OU joining the SEC.  He vocalized that fact.

At OU, he had one, maybe two games a year to contend with (Texas or Oklahoma State, and sometimes Kansas State or Baylor).

In the SEC he would have been in the West, and had to deal with BAMA, LSU, Auburn, Arkansas, Ole Miss, Miss State and Texas every year.

In the PAC12, he can raise the program to the level of OU, and only have one, or two opponents to contend with.  It's an easier path, and he can win conference championships and make te playoffs, much, much, much easier than winning the SEC and making the playoffs.

With OU jumping to the SEC, USC was a more desirable destination, compared staying at OU or going to LSU, and having to compete in the SEC.

It's going to be interesting to see who OU is able to land.  

All I got from that was that jobs in the SEC aren't very prestigious.

• Like 1

On 11/28/2021 at 9:44 PM, Scorcho said:

Chip Kelly was 1-1 in the playoffs, Riley is 1-3

Kelly has coached in "1" NC game (2010 v. Auburn).  Other than that, he has never coached a team in the current 4-team CFP format.

So, he is 0-1, in NC games

Riley is 20 years younger, more currently relevant and will be a better recruiter.  Riley's teams have been relevant in each of his four years at Oklahoma.  Kelly hasn't had a team that was relevant on the national scene, in 9 years, (Fiesta Bowl, 2012).

On 11/28/2021 at 9:50 PM, MrBug708 said:

All I got from that was that jobs in the SEC aren't very prestigious.

Then let me be more direct:  The USC job is an easier job to come in and win games, win a conference championship, and possibly make the playoffs - because the competition is not as strong.

In the SEC, winning a conference championship, let alone a NC, will be much harder to accomplish.  So Riley chose the route that will be the easiest, and will elevate him in the eyes of public perception.  Staying at OU, or jumping to an SEC program (like LSU), would have put Riley in a position that would make "winning" more difficult.  And at schools like LSU, if you're not in the conference championship, or NC discussions within 3 years - they fire you; just like Orgeron.

I'm remember 15-20 years ago when FSU was invited to join the SEC.  Bobby Bowden said, "no".  His reason - "I ain't stupid", he said.  "Staying in the ACC, we can win our conference and play for a NC.  Jumping to the SEC, the competition is too strong, and if we ever hope to win a NC at FSU, we have to stay in the ACC, because we won't be able to do it in the SEC."

That's the same reason why Riley left OU, and the SEC, for USC and the PAC12.

• Like 1

On 11/28/2021 at 9:23 PM, glduck said:

I could have saved you a word salad — the actual reason he left was money.

Have to believe it was more than money, OU isn't exactly hurting in the pocketbooks and that is before they make the jump to the SEC and start pulling in 75 million a year from their tv deal.  Given how much he has been recruiting the west I'm guessing his preference was west and not southeast.

Speaking of recruiting, not that it wasn't expected but the OU class has imploded.

Riley is going to take half his recruiting class with him to USC.

On 11/28/2021 at 7:08 PM, Pac12Fan said:

The only consistency is that Utah keeps fucking everything up as they always tend to be a top 3 team in our league. Why does this happen? They should be a bottom third team as they don’t have the same advantages. 

Bottom 3rd? I think that's a huge stretch.  While Utah will likely never pull in top 10 recruiting classes on a consistent basis, even on paper, our recruiting classes are never bottom 3rd in the conference. 

Look at the number of players Utah has put in the NFL since joining the P12, it's right up there with the top teams, so obviously talent isn't lacking. SLC is a good sized city with a shitload to do here. Not some podunk shithole in the middle of nowhere. 

Obviously Whittingham is a huge part of our success but there is nothing the Utes don't have when it comes to facilities, packed houses and passionate fans. I believe Utah is also top 4 in the conference on football spending. So resources aren't an issue. 

Utah has spent the most weeks in the CFP rankings in the P12 since 2014 and it's not even close.  I'm not shocked Utah keeps "fucking" things up.

• Like 1

On 11/29/2021 at 11:13 AM, utenation said:

Bottom 3rd? I think that's a huge stretch.  While Utah will likely never pull in top 10 recruiting classes on a consistent basis, even on paper, our recruiting classes are never bottom 3rd in the conference. 

Look at the number of players Utah has put in the NFL since joining the P12, it's right up there with the top teams, so obviously talent isn't lacking. SLC is a good sized city with a shitload to do here. Not some podunk shithole in the middle of nowhere. 

Obviously Whittingham is a huge part of our success but there is nothing the Utes don't have when it comes to facilities, packed houses and passionate fans.

Utah has spent the most weeks in the CFP rankings in the P12 since 2014 and it's not even close.  I'm not shocked Utah keeps "fucking" things up.

with UCLA's money, name and inherent advantages they haven't defeated Utah since 2015 and the average margin of defeat in those 5 losses is 47-20. Maybe UCLA should change its nickname to the Sloths because footballs been asleep since Terry Donahue

On 11/29/2021 at 12:40 PM, Scorcho said:

with UCLA's money, name and inherent advantages they haven't defeated Utah since 2015 and the average margin of defeat in those 5 losses is 47-20. Maybe UCLA should change its nickname to the Sloths because footballs been asleep since Terry Donahue

@Pac12Fan has been pretty high on the Utes in the past. Been to SLC a few times for games etc.. I get his point.  On paper, Utah shouldn't be winning division titles as much as we have compared to the LA schools or even UW and Oregon but my point is, Utah isn't homeless with their money cup out on the street begging for pennies. 

We spend money, invest in facilities and recruiting budget, coaching salaries etc..  We also have had AD's that have their shit together. Huge plus. 

On 11/28/2021 at 10:23 PM, glduck said:

I could have saved you a word salad — the actual reason he left was money.

OU would have given him any amount of money he wanted, if he stayed.  But in order to command money, a coach has to be successful, and success if measured with wins and playoff appearances.

Had he stayed at OU, and entered the SEC, the wins would go down and the playoff appearances would go away - and so would his ability to command big money.

On 11/29/2021 at 4:21 PM, glduck said:

Glorious SEC fan fiction aside, that does not seem to match the current reporting. 

Even Plaske said he absolutely left OU because he was pissed about the move to the SEC.  OU got greedy and it cost them a coach.  

Also Kelley to LSU?