Coaching Changes

Scscsc89

It looks like it's the story that's being run with though. He did miss a radio show and press conference earlier this month and said it was a personal matter. I did notice that when he was leaving on his early flight out to LA that some people taking video of the whole thing his assistants looked like they barely had time to pack and some were still wearing OU gear to the airport, not that it means much. But the whole thing seemed hastily put together. At least in past hiring situations, there was some small prep-work before a final decision was made public. I'm just glad he got to address the team before leaving. It seems like the Brian Kelly news broke before he could let anyone know. I heard someone was visiting a recruits home and when he left he found out that Kelly was leaving for LSU. 

LA Times

It seems like the $90 to $110 million 10-year head coach contract is now the going rate for blueblood college football programs.  Tucker, Riley, and Kelly, and Franklin are all in that rarified territory. Still not the $18 million a year that Belichick pulls in, but not a bad payday.

What is less clear in all of the situations is what the assistant coach salary pool is, and what the buyout details are, particularly the buyout owed to the school if the coach decides to leave.  Franklin reportedly owes a buyout of $12 million if he leaves PSU the first year, $8 million the second.  In an eye-opening contrst, Tucker only would owe Michigan State a buyout of $2.5 million if he were to leave this year, the perfect contract for a set of wandering eyes.

Tucker is reported to have an assistant coach salary pool north of $7 million.  That compares with a 2021 salary pool of $7.6 million at Ohio State and $5.4 million at Michigan.  I haven't seen the assistant salry pools being offered at LSU, USC, and PSU.

Where does all of this leave schools like Washington State, Syracuse, West Virginia, and Colorado?  The gap is growing wider in the world of mega-power college football.

On 11/30/2021 at 3:26 PM, EastCoastFan said:

It seems like the $90 to $110 million 10-year head coach contract is now the going rate for blueblood college football programs.  Tucker, Riley, and Kelly, and Franklin are all in that rarified territory. Still not the $18 million a year that Belichick pulls in, but not a bad payday.

What is less clear in all of the situations is what the assistant coach salary pool is, and what the buyout details are, particularly the buyout owed to the school if the coach decides to leave.  Franklin reportedly owes a buyout of $12 million if he leaves PSU the first year, $8 million the second.  In an eye-opening contrst, Tucker only would owe Michigan State a buyout of $2.5 million if he were to leave this year, the perfect contract for a set of wandering eyes.

Tucker is reported to have an assistant coach salary pool north of $7 million.  That compares with a 2021 salary pool of $7.6 million at Ohio State and $5.4 million at Michigan.  I haven't seen the assistant salry pools being offered at LSU, USC, and PSU.

Where does all of this leave schools like Washington State, Syracuse, West Virginia, and Colorado?  The gap is growing wider in the world of mega-power college football.

As long as conference pool/TV money stays even for all P5 conference teams, I think things stay pretty much the same as now.  The blueboods have the best "donation" and brand marketing money outside of the pool money so they will always pay elite salaries and huge buyouts.

The rest of the P5 teams will pay market value and double or triple the amount of the best G5 jobs, to keep the step up from a G5 league attractive.  Even the weakest P5 programs are still far better off than the best of the G5.

As far as P5 performance, It's pretty much the same bluebloods in the playoff hunt every year with the exception of USC and Texas, so I don't see anything changing here either.

With the market for college head coaches shifted I think the more interesting thing to follow is to see how it impacts the NFL market.  With the market in college now set with 9.5 as kind of the baseline for elite coach or elite job that puts it above everyone but Belichick, Carroll and Payton on the NFL scale.

On 11/30/2021 at 5:05 PM, clpp01 said:

With the market for college head coaches shifted I think the more interesting thing to follow is to see how it impacts the NFL market.  With the market in college now set with 9.5 as kind of the baseline for elite coach or elite job that puts it above everyone but Belichick, Carroll and Payton on the NFL scale.

Just for shits and giggles, I looked up the average coaching lifespan for the NFL and CFB. NFL coaches on average last 4.35 years. CFB coaches last on average 3.8 years..

Which makes these high paid salaries even more interesting.  I have a feeling Mel Tucker is a fraud and MSU just sold the farm to keep him there.

BTW, the average coaching lifespan for NBA coaches in 2.6 years.. Yikes.  All these are high risk, high reward professions. Better not unpack your moving boxes.

• Like 1

His buyout is zero after January 16th so they could make a move but it's probably too late to get someone not named Tom Herman. I could see an extension with a lower buyout for 3 years or similar to that structure. I'd saying finishing 8-4 did save his job,along with th 9 million dollar buyout. He definitely needs to make a change on the defensive side and nobody worthwhile is coming with a one year lame duck head coach.