Coaching Changes

Scscsc89

On 12/6/2021 at 10:02 AM, Mano said:

I'm head scratching a bit on this one. I get that it's his home turf and he has to walk a mile to find 5 star talent but when Oregon is on their game, they get top 10 recruiting classes and have unlimited Nike money and top shelf facilities.  At Oregon, you also don't have to worry about Florida and FSU. Not to mention all the other P5 teams in the south.

On 12/6/2021 at 10:25 AM, utenation said:

I'm head scratching a bit on this one. I get that it's his home turf and he has to walk a mile to find 5 star talent but when Oregon is on their game, they get top 10 recruiting classes and have unlimited Nike money and top shelf facilities.  At Oregon, you also don't have to worry about Florida and FSU. Not to mention all the other P5 teams in the south.

It's his alma matter, he is getting a shit ton of money, and at Miami they don't worry about those pesky NCAA rules and stuff.

On 12/6/2021 at 10:27 AM, glduck said:

A few prominent members of the Oregon sports media crew are spiking the football this morning, saying they were right all along and Oregon should have never fired Mark Helfrich.

Is local media insane everywhere, or is ours just extra weird?

They pretty much suck in Utah.

On 12/6/2021 at 10:30 AM, utenation said:

I think Oregon had a nice deal on the table as well. It's not like they're poor.

I wonder if Cristobal felt he had reached his peak at Oregon? (not saying that Oregon isn't capable of a CFP berth, because they clearly are) With Clemson coming back down to earth and Florida and Florida State currently reeling, there is a window for Miami in the ACC/state of Florida. 

The question is, with all of the resources, a winnable division and conference, a history of 10-win seasons, and persumably competitive salaries, why would coaches be leaving Eugene?  Sure, the local high school talent pool isn't there, so you have to travel to get blue chips.  But the path to the playoffs sure is more direct for the Ducks than for many other schools that are in conferences with several heavyweights.  My take is that stability is overrated.  It's what got Colorado to go with Dorrell, after they got burned, and while it might be stable, it sure doesn't shout "winner!"  Wilcox?  Oregon should be shooting higher at a number of candidates.

I agree in principle. I just have yet to see evidence that Oregon can actually land a big name coach, so my prediction skews pessimistic. We had to drop down to Willie Taggart after we fired Helfrich, and our other finalists last time were Wilcox and Kevin Sumlin. Our last basketball search was an unmitigated disaster until we accidentally stumbled into Dana Altman. I need to see it before I will believe it.

On 12/6/2021 at 10:51 AM, EastCoastFan said:

The question is, with all of the resources, a winnable division and conference, a history of 10-win seasons, and persumably competitive salaries, why would coaches be leaving Eugene?  Sure, the local high school talent pool isn't there, so you have to travel to get blue chips.  But the path to the playoffs sure is more direct for the Ducks than for many other schools that are in conferences with several heavyweights.  My take is that stability is overrated.  It's what got Colorado to go with Dorrell, after they got burned, and while it might be stable, it sure doesn't shout "winner!"  Wilcox?  Oregon should be shooting higher at a number of candidates.

moral of the story for Oregon, stop hiring guys from Florida

As for Oregon shooting higher I have just the guy in mind

Pete Carroll Nfl GIF by Seattle Seahawks

On 12/6/2021 at 9:25 AM, utenation said:

Also, his $700k home in Eugene costs $5M in Coral Gables..

On 12/6/2021 at 12:05 PM, Mano said:

Guessing the Ducks make a hard push for Chris Petersen to come out of retirement

Not sure Oregon wants to go through an “our kinda guy” purge & subsequent  2-3 season rebuild for a coach who has already walked away from a job once