Coaching Changes

Scscsc89

On 12/6/2021 at 3:40 PM, Jalapeno said:

If it was just about the coaching money, I don't know if Cristobal makes that move because that UO offer was a real good one.  But this NIL thing has made some coaching jobs where the school is located in a large metro area pretty attractive.

You think anyone better positioned to take advantage of NIL than Oregon? Think it through.

On 12/6/2021 at 9:40 PM, duckfandan said:

lol good try on the troll.

Stop fucking replying to him. 

edit: oh my bad, I thought it was someone I had on ignore. Well, welcome don, you ignorant dipshit. BTW, Miami paid Oregon 9 million for that brick for brains Cristobal. 

On 12/6/2021 at 3:18 PM, Scscsc89 said:

Not sure Oregon wants to go through an “our kinda guy” purge & subsequent  2-3 season rebuild for a coach who has already walked away from a job once 

He left Boise because he was tired of their whiny fans and their bloated expectations as a G5.

He left UW because he needed to relax, recharge and refocus. That’s what he told the public. Not sure if there were internal issues at UW but he seems to go into mental breakdowns and or leave me the fuck alone periods. 

If he was invested, he’d have Oregon in the NC hunt in 3-4 years but like you said, will Oregon be patient enough to do it his way? 

I’d take my chances if he was refocused.

On 12/6/2021 at 8:36 PM, utenation said:

He left Boise because he was tired of their whiny fans and their bloated expectations as a G5.

He left UW because he needed to relax, recharge and refocus. That’s what he told the public. Not sure if there were internal issues at UW but he seems to go into mental breakdowns and or leave me the fuck alone periods. 

If he was invested, he’d have Oregon in the NC hunt in 3-4 years but like you said, will Oregon be patient enough to do it his way? 

I’d take my chances if he was refocused.

Legitimate question, but why do you think it’d take much time for him to instill his way at Oregon? The talent, infrastructure, and recent history is all in place for a great coach to be successful immediately. 

Whole lotta stupid people who think Wilcocks/Ted/Kelly should even be on the radar. If Mullens goes anywhere near those nobodies/hasbeens there will be flickering torches and sharpened pitchforks. 

Pete would be crazy tho, I just dunno in what way. 

On 12/6/2021 at 8:54 PM, dtd said:

Whole lotta stupid people who think Wilcocks/Ted/Kelly should even be on the radar. If Mullens goes anywhere near those nobodies/hasbeens there will be flickering torches and sharpened pitchforks. 

Pete would be crazy tho, I just dunno in what way. 

Saw a thread elsewhere that unironically floated Primetime and Jon Gruden.

On 12/6/2021 at 3:46 PM, Mano said:

You think anyone better positioned to take advantage of NIL than Oregon? Think it through.

Let's see...Eugene/Portland/Nike versus Los Angeles, Dallas-Ft. Worth, Austin, Houston, New York City, Miami, Atlanta, etc.  Those metro areas have more NIL opportunities than what Portland/Nike can offer.  The majority of those cities are east of the Rockies where at least 2/3 of the country lives.  

NIL isn't focused solely on Nike and Uncle Phil isn't going to live forever.  That's like saying Arkansas' players should benefit from Walmart HQ being in the area.  No one shopping at Walmarts outside of the southeastern US will know who those Arkansas players are.  It doesn't mean that GM will always offer Michigan player NIL deals since Ann Arbor isn't far from GM HQ in Detroit.  It doesn't mean that national insurance companies and P&G based in Ohio will give Ohio State players exclusive NIL deals nor defense contractors will be doing that to UVA, VT, UMD, and even CU.  It doesn't mean that Google and Apple will be exclusive for Stanford & Cal players and the same goes for Amazon, Microsoft, and Starbucks for UW & WSU.  Oklahoma City is home to at least two of the largest oil & gas companies in the US and they are not always going to give OU players NIL deals.  I could go on and on.  Even Nike is not obligated to offer UO athletes NIL deals.

It's the local companies such as the used car lots (think Big Red Motors in Norman...remember Rhett Bomar), restaurants, businesses, etc.  In those large metropolitan areas, there are lots of businesses that will be vying to get the star player into their ads so the fans who see those players will stop by for a drink and perhaps some good BBQ when their favorite team is on the road or after the home game. 

Those businesses even from those small college towns with large football stadiums can still reach the alumni in those large metropolitan areas by having their favorite team's star players in those ads especially those targeted online ads.  That's another way to recruit athletes in that case.  UO could offer Nike but that is limited in scope and many other schools are sponsored by Nike.  I'm sure Oregon has some of those businesses that happily supports those Duck athletes but if I'm a recruit that knows for certain that I can end up in the NFL, maybe UO isn't the best solution but USC is.  My likeness could end up on a NYC building too.  Tell me how UnderArmour has helped Maryland recruit elite athletes.  And the CEO of Apple did go to a SEC school and could direct Apple advertising dollars to Auburn athletes but are there better schools aligned for Apple in that case and Apple could target athletes from those schools instead of Auburn...yep that can happen.

UO could do well in the NIL arena but again, Nike is not obligated to sponsor UO players only.  Same thing for the Jordan brand and North Carolina.

Perhaps you are the one who needs to do that thinking through.

On 12/6/2021 at 9:53 PM, duckfandan said:

Legitimate question, but why do you think it’d take much time for him to instill his way at Oregon? The talent, infrastructure, and recent history is all in place for a great coach to be successful immediately. 

Only because of the OKG (Our Kinda guy) factor.  Not saying that Oregon has low character players, just that Pete seems to have different standards for his system. I think he broomed(or they left) more than a few players at the beginning of his UW tenure. 

• Like 1

On 12/7/2021 at 7:28 AM, Jalapeno said:

Let's see...Eugene/Portland/Nike versus Los Angeles, Dallas-Ft. Worth, Austin, Houston, New York City, Miami, Atlanta, etc.  Those metro areas have more NIL opportunities than what Portland/Nike can offer.  The majority of those cities are east of the Rockies where at least 2/3 of the country lives.  

NIL isn't focused solely on Nike and Uncle Phil isn't going to live forever.  That's like saying Arkansas' players should benefit from Walmart HQ being in the area.  No one shopping at Walmarts outside of the southeastern US will know who those Arkansas players are.  It doesn't mean that GM will always offer Michigan player NIL deals since Ann Arbor isn't far from GM HQ in Detroit.  It doesn't mean that national insurance companies and P&G based in Ohio will give Ohio State players exclusive NIL deals nor defense contractors will be doing that to UVA, VT, UMD, and even CU.  It doesn't mean that Google and Apple will be exclusive for Stanford & Cal players and the same goes for Amazon, Microsoft, and Starbucks for UW & WSU.  Oklahoma City is home to at least two of the largest oil & gas companies in the US and they are not always going to give OU players NIL deals.  I could go on and on.  Even Nike is not obligated to offer UO athletes NIL deals.

It's the local companies such as the used car lots (think Big Red Motors in Norman...remember Rhett Bomar), restaurants, businesses, etc.  In those large metropolitan areas, there are lots of businesses that will be vying to get the star player into their ads so the fans who see those players will stop by for a drink and perhaps some good BBQ when their favorite team is on the road or after the home game. 

Those businesses even from those small college towns with large football stadiums can still reach the alumni in those large metropolitan areas by having their favorite team's star players in those ads especially those targeted online ads.  That's another way to recruit athletes in that case.  UO could offer Nike but that is limited in scope and many other schools are sponsored by Nike.  I'm sure Oregon has some of those businesses that happily supports those Duck athletes but if I'm a recruit that knows for certain that I can end up in the NFL, maybe UO isn't the best solution but USC is.  My likeness could end up on a NYC building too.  Tell me how UnderArmour has helped Maryland recruit elite athletes.  And the CEO of Apple did go to a SEC school and could direct Apple advertising dollars to Auburn athletes but are there better schools aligned for Apple in that case and Apple could target athletes from those schools instead of Auburn...yep that can happen.

UO could do well in the NIL arena but again, Nike is not obligated to sponsor UO players only.  Same thing for the Jordan brand and North Carolina.

Jesus Christ, this is even more intense than your usual crazy.  Are you ok?

On 12/7/2021 at 8:28 AM, Jalapeno said:

Your word salad aside, NIL had absolutely no bearing on why Cristobal left.