Coaching Changes

Scscsc89

On 12/11/2021 at 6:44 PM, Jalapeno said:

Solid hire by the Ducks...hopefully they attached a large buyout to the deal.  Who did UW hire again?

I think that UCLA-USC next year is going to be big with Riley-Kelly.

I have not felt this optimistic about the Pac-12 in quite awhile.

When does Colorado get better? 

On 11/29/2021 at 11:13 AM, utenation said:

Bottom 3rd? I think that's a huge stretch.  While Utah will likely never pull in top 10 recruiting classes on a consistent basis, even on paper, our recruiting classes are never bottom 3rd in the conference. 

Look at the number of players Utah has put in the NFL since joining the P12, it's right up there with the top teams, so obviously talent isn't lacking. SLC is a good sized city with a shitload to do here. Not some podunk shithole in the middle of nowhere. 

Obviously Whittingham is a huge part of our success but there is nothing the Utes don't have when it comes to facilities, packed houses and passionate fans. I believe Utah is also top 4 in the conference on football spending. So resources aren't an issue. 

Utah has spent the most weeks in the CFP rankings in the P12 since 2014 and it's not even close.  I'm not shocked Utah keeps "fucking" things up.

I’m actually a fan of the Utes and am glad they have contributed greatly to our conference (unlike Colorado).  

My point is that there are schools that have huge advantages based on talent, history, money and population. Utah is not one of those schools yet they are ALWAYS one of the top teams. 

It’s not a knock on Utah. Don’t offend so easily. 

On 12/12/2021 at 3:27 PM, Pac12Fan said:

When does Colorado get better? 

I recall when Utah and Colorado joined the conference, there was a poster, I think named BuffaloSoldier, who went on and on about how Colorado would dominate the south and Utah would be perennial cellar dweller. Funny how he quit and never came back.

I give props to Jalapeño sticking by his team through the bad times and not hiding. I lived through a very long stretch in 70's and 80's where the Utes were awful, so I appreciate fans who stick by their teams when times are hard, and don't just come out chirping during good times and hide during tough times.

I’m the guy who assumed our scorned AD would end up with Wilcox in the first place, so I think there is some truth to this report. However, since we’re only ever likely to hear Wilcox’s agent’s side of things, I assume there’s a bit more to it… I’d wager Wilcox was told he’s our guy “depending on other outcomes,” and he declined to be our fallback option. So I assume there was an offer, and he did turn it down, it’s just a bit more involved than “Oregon scorned by native son.” 

Its seems the Oregon AD did in fact offer Wilcox, given that three different journalists have confirmed it on Twitter (Canzano, Fentress and Kyle Bonagura), as well Geoff Schwartz. 

This is pretty fascinating. I would love to know what Wilcox's reservations were. I can imagine that he may not have appreciated being the fall-back plan for the ducks, or that a majority of the fans were against his hire. Wilcox would have provided a nice link to duck history before the program became what it is now, IMO. 

Taking a wider view, I think 3 of the 4 Pac12 hires are unconventional and chart new ground: 1) I don't believe USC has poached a sitting P5 coach before; 2) I don't believe UW has hired a G5 head coach since Don James; and 3) I don't believe Oregon has hired an outside coordinator with no head coaching experience before. All three programs are experimenting with a different approach. Only WSU has stayed within their comfort zone by elevating a coordinator.  

On 12/12/2021 at 3:58 PM, azgreg said:

Define no one.

Most UO fans and living in Seattle most UW fans didn’t want him either.  Lots of emails got sent last week to the AD not wanting him or Chip.  He is what he is, and 6-8 win guy at best. Wilcox was a low risk low reward hire, that fans would have wanted fired in 3 years.  Glad he didn’t get the job, and even happier Chip isn’t back.  

https://www.oregonlive.com/sports/john_canzano/2021/12/canzano-ex-oregon-ducks-greats-wrote-letter-to-ad-rob-mullens-worried-about-programs-lost-identity.html

Pretty interesting article about the letter 14 prominent former duck players wrote to Mullens advocating for a hire "within the Oregon family," in part because of concern about the program losing its identity.  

On 12/12/2021 at 8:43 PM, row Z said:

https://www.oregonlive.com/sports/john_canzano/2021/12/canzano-ex-oregon-ducks-greats-wrote-letter-to-ad-rob-mullens-worried-about-programs-lost-identity.html

Pretty interesting article about the letter 14 prominent former duck players wrote to Mullens advocating for a hire "within the Oregon family," in part because of concern about the program losing its identity.  

That was horrible, hypocritical, ignorant, garbage. They'd rather lose the "right way". Let's go back to when we were 11 years old and going 7-4 was occasion for joy. 

"This feeling comes not from wins and losses" 

Not exactly the place to start from in a, you know, sport. Like...how fucking stupid are people? Remember the guy from Coos Bay who used to play at Oregon, his dream school, and coached there for 8 years and then got fired for taking the team from 13-1 to  4-8 in two years? Yeah...That was the last hire from "inside the Oregon box", you idiots. 

Can you imagine getting the call from Joey? "oh hey...Joey...yeah I'll sign  your thing, I saw you texted 37 times last night, okay cool, gotta go yeah okay bye."