Coaching Changes

Scscsc89

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...
On 10/2/2022 at 1:21 PM, azgreg said:

Guessing Jalapeño happy about this. Was always a headscratcher hire, may be time for a new AD as well. CU needs to make a football hire, not go for splashy guy.  Maybe Sitake? Not sure who all is out there that CU can attract.

Sad that a once proud program has been down this long, but one would think they could right the ship with the right hire and support from the administration. 

On 10/3/2022 at 9:29 AM, Mano said:

Guessing Jalapeño happy about this. Was always a headscratcher hire, may be time for a new AD as well. CU needs to make a football hire, not go for splashy guy.  Maybe Sitake? Not sure who all is out there that CU can attract.

Sad that a once proud program has been down this long, but one would think they could right the ship with the right hire and support from the administration. 

Do you think Kalani leaves BYU? He seems pretty entrenched there as it’s a calling more so than a job. 

If a Blue Blood job came calling, he might go but I’m not sure the CU job moves the needle enough, especially with BYU joining the B12.

On 10/3/2022 at 9:39 AM, utenation said:

Do you think Kalani leaves BYU? He seems pretty entrenched there as it’s a calling more so than a job. 

If a Blue Blood job came calling, he might go but I’m not sure the CU job moves the needle enough, especially with BYU joining the B12.

Depends on how cheap BYU is.

If CU offers Sitake 3-4M and BYU won't go over 2M, I would think he would leave. Never know exactly what their financials are since they are a private institution, but have heard many times they try to play the "serving the church" or "it's your calling" card and lowball the coaches. I know LaVell put up with it and never made over 1M, but I think it is a reason Bronco always seemed to be interviewing for every opening and wanting out. Low pay and dealing with unrealistic expectations from some of their crazy ass fans isn't the recipe to keep great talent, but we'll see. Ryan Smith could open up his checkbook and keep him there, but if he doesn't make a competitive salary to what he can get elsewhere, I don't think he will be there long term. 

On 10/3/2022 at 6:52 PM, Mano said:

If CU offers Sitake 3-4M and BYU won't go over 2M, I would think he would leave. Never know exactly what their financials are since they are a private institution, but have heard many times they try to play the "serving the church" or "it's your calling" card and lowball the coaches. I know LaVell put up with it and never made over 1M, but I think it is a reason Bronco always seemed to be interviewing for every opening and wanting out. Low pay and dealing with unrealistic expectations from some of their crazy ass fans isn't the recipe to keep great talent, but we'll see. Ryan Smith could open up his checkbook and keep him there, but if he doesn't make a competitive salary to what he can get elsewhere, I don't think he will be there long term. 

Wouldn't it be odd if CU, with $4+ million to offer, ended up choosing between Sitake and Mendenhall.

On 10/3/2022 at 4:52 PM, Mano said:

Agree on Bronco. He was never a lifer. 

In finding a new HC at Colorado, the Buffs have to compete with Nebraska, ASU, Wisconsin and soon-to-be Auburn - and that's just the schools that we know of, for now.  And other than ASU, each of the other three (Nebraska, Wisconsin and Auburn) are more desirable landing spots.

One name I think Colorado should give consideration to is Gary Patterson, former TCU coach.  His last couple of years at TCU were down from expectations, but only because in his first ten years he set a standard never before seen at TCU.  I don't see Nebraska, Wisconsin or Auburn going after Patterson, and he seems like a better fit for Colorado than ASU.

Tom Herman is another name out there.  I could see him going to Nebraska, but I don't know that that would be a good fit for either party.

If not Gary Patterson, perhaps Brian Harsin at Auburn.  He's going to be terminated in a week or two, and he's a Midwest guy.  I think he would do well at Colorado.

Perhaps Eric Bieniemy would be willing to leave the NFL and come home to Colorado.

Charlie Weis, Jr. is a young hot name that would bring a lot of energy and enthusiasm to the program.

There are several names out there, but I wouldn't be surprised if Colorado doesn't make a lame hire.

On 10/3/2022 at 8:29 AM, Mano said:

I wonder if it's less a coach thing, and more an institutional thing.  Like maybe CU just isn't capable of fielding a good program anymore.

On 10/5/2022 at 11:09 AM, Orange said:

I wonder if it's less a coach thing, and more an institutional thing.  Like maybe CU just isn't capable of fielding a good program anymore.

Seems like the program has gone downhill since they got busted for/quit using hookers for recruiting.

• 1 month later...