No Playoffs this Year for Pac-12 Again

Pac12Fan

On 11/10/2021 at 12:36 AM, HLB said:

I know they lost to Stanford.  I was thinking about their win over Ohio State and stated incorrectly.  Not the end of the world.

The point is, if they beat Utah once, they can beat them a second time, with the motivation of playing in the CFP.

Sure. Honest mistake right? When does your book come out? I know this board is on pins and needles in anticipation for the release. 

They might have to bring in the local police for crowd control at your first book signing. 

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 11/10/2021 at 1:56 PM, clpp01 said:

Was always going to be the case.  tOSU & Alabama are the playoff committees love children and they'll pick and ignore whatever datapoints they need to in order to push them.  Oregon's role from the committees pov is schedule fluff for tOSU and a barrier to keep the riffraff (Cincy & to an extent Oklahoma) on the outside looking in.

List for me each and every time that tOSU & BAMA were picked, regardless of data points, in order to push those teams, when those teams have had multiple losses and were undeserving.

And the media, as well as the committee, are trying hard to get Oregon into the CFP - because people are tired of hearing all of the crying from PAC12 fans.

There's a path for Oregon to get in - if they win out.  Oregon wins out, and they're in.

My guess:  Oregon loses to Utah once, if not twice, before all is said and done, and not make the playoffs, while Ohio State loses to either Michigan State or Michigan, if not both, and will be out of the CFP.

On 11/11/2021 at 9:40 PM, utenation said:

Sure. Honest mistake right? When does your book come out? I know this board is on pins and needles in anticipation for the release. 

They might have to bring in the local police for crowd control at your first book signing. 

It was an honest mistake.

Just like you were an honest mistake by your parents.

On 11/14/2021 at 9:08 PM, HLB said:

And the media, as well as the committee, are trying hard to get Oregon into the CFP - because people are tired of hearing all of the crying from PAC12 fans.

P12 fans? Don't you mean P10 fans? Maybe I missed something but when did the P10 expand?

On 11/14/2021 at 9:08 PM, HLB said:

List for me each and every time that tOSU & BAMA were picked, regardless of data points, in order to push those teams, when those teams have had multiple losses and were undeserving.

There's a path for Oregon to get in - if they win out.  Oregon wins out, and they're in.

My guess:  Oregon loses to Utah once, if not twice, before all is said and done, and not make the playoffs, while Ohio State loses to either Michigan State or Michigan, if not both, and will be out of the CFP.

Can you name a single time where the committee made a decision on two comparable teams and that decision didn't benefit the team that is apart of college football royalty?  I can answer that for you because the answer is no, see TCU being kicked to the curb for tOSU, see Alabama being given a spot as a non conference champion with a mediocre resume, see Alabama sitting at #2 looking at a playoff spot as a 2 loss non conference champion if they lose to Georgia, see undefeated Central Florida being kept out, see undefeated Cincinnati being kept out, see Houston & SMU not even being ranked just because the committee doesn't want to give Cincinnati the opportunity of posting another ranked win.

Fact is the committee only cares about the name on the front of the jersey and will bend and twist their narrative on a case by case basis to fit their "logic" and when they can't even twist far enough to support it they fall back to the "eye test".

On 11/21/2021 at 12:27 PM, azgreg said:

I think Bama loses in the conference championship. I think they take an undefeated Cincy over a 2 loss Bama that didn't win the conference.

BCS took a 2.loss Florida team over an undefeated Utah. I don't think things have changed just because Utah is now in the P5. I heard pundits yesterday saying to take ND over Cincy right now, despite their loss. I could be wrong, but I doubt it.

On 11/15/2021 at 12:02 PM, clpp01 said:

Can you name a single time where the committee made a decision on two comparable teams and that decision didn't benefit the team that is apart of college football royalty?  I can answer that for you because the answer is no, wee TCU being kicked to the curb for tOSU

TCU and Ohio State were not comparable.  Ohio State played a 13th data point, conference championship game, TCU did not.  If TCU had played a 13th game, and won their conference championship, I would agree that the two teams were comparable - to a degree.  That degree is that the overall body of competition in the B1G is greater than that of the Big12.  And tOSU validated their place in the playoffs, by winning the playoffs.

And just to be clear, I loath tOSU, and have always liked TCU.  No one would have preferred to see TCU in that playoff, than myself.  But tOSU had a 13th game, that TCU did not, and that is an issue when comparing the two teams.

see Alabama being given a spot as a non conference champion with a mediocre resume

The rules do not require a team to win their conference championship.  They require the best four teams.  BAMA had wins over four ranked opponents, and lost to #6 Auburn.

What team should have made the playoffs ahead of BAMA?

And let's not forget, BAMA beat #1 Clemson and #3 Georgia (who beat #2 Oklahoma) to win the NC.  BAMA was better than any team you can name, that did not make the playoffs.

see Alabama being given a spot as a non conference champion with a mediocre resume, see Alabama sitting at #2 looking at a playoff spot as a 2 loss non conference champion if they lose to Georgia, see undefeated Central Florida being kept out, see undefeated Cincinnati being kept out, see Houston & SMU not even being ranked just because the committee doesn't want to give Cincinnati the opportunity of posting another ranked win.

If BAMA doesn't beat UGA in the SEC Championship, BAMA won't go to the playoffs.  If they beat UGA, both BAMA and UGA will make the playoffs.

UCF and Cincy:  If either of those teams played a P5 schedule (in 2017 and now 2021), neither of them finish undefeated.  And the committee recognizes this fact.  And if any number of P5 teams played the G5 schedules of UCF, or Cincy, they would be undefeated, too.  Cincy would not beat TXA&M (BAMA's lone loss).  And if they get in at #4, UGA, tOSU or BAMA would easily run over them.

The rankings that matter don't come out until the first weekend of November.  Houston was not ranked by the AP, but the CFP committee ranked Houston (and they are still ranked).  With back-to-back losses, SMU didn't make the rankings - and rightfully so.

On 11/21/2021 at 1:38 PM, Mano said:

BCS took a 2.loss Florida team over an undefeated Utah. I don't think things have changed just because Utah is now in the P5. I heard pundits yesterday saying to take ND over Cincy right now, despite their loss. I could be wrong, but I doubt it.

The only way BAMA makes the CFP is if they beat Auburn, and then UGA in the SEC Championship.

Any loss by BAMA will knock them out.

If BAMA doesn't make the playoffs, I would expect UGA, 1-loss B1G Champion, 1-loss Big12 Champion, and Cincy.

On 11/21/2021 at 1:44 PM, HLB said:

TCU and Ohio State were not comparable.  Ohio State played a 13th data point, conference championship game, TCU did not.  If TCU had played a 13th game, and won their conference championship, I would agree that the two teams were comparable - to a degree.  That degree is that the overall body of competition in the B1G is greater than that of the Big12.  And tOSU validated their place in the playoffs, by winning the playoffs.

And just to be clear, I loath tOSU, and have always liked TCU.  No one would have preferred to see TCU in that playoff, than myself.  But tOSU had a 13th game, that TCU did not, and that is an issue when comparing the two teams.

That is the excuse the committee gave to put tOSU in the playoff, if you remember TCU played their 12th game the same day that tOSU played in the conference title game so that if the extra data point was the deciding factor then tOSU should have jumped TCU 3 weeks earlier when that extra game was played but instead they kept TCU ahead until the last week where they dropped them 3 spots following a 52 point win against Iowa St.  Also if the conference title game did matter that much to the committee then they would have put a B1G champion Penn State who had a head to head victory over tOSU in the playoff instead of the Buckeyes.

The fact is all the committee cares about is picking the teams with the biggest brands and then going back and using whatever reasoning they can find to argue why they picked them and when they can't find a reason they just fall back to "eye test".  One year it is who has the best win, another team is who has the better loss, another is who played the stronger schedule and when they can't fall back on any of those they break out the "well we think there was clear separation between these two teams" excuse they throw out there which is the equivalent of a "because I said so".

On 11/21/2021 at 1:52 PM, HLB said:

I think UGA, a 1-loss B1G Champion (Ohio State or Michigan), a 1-loss Big12 Champion, and Cincy

My guess is Notre Dame with (chuckles) a win over Stanford would get them in over a 1 loss B12 champion.

- Baylor already has 2 losses so they are out

- Oklahoma State would have to beat OU twice in 2 weeks when beating OU twice in a decade is a tough ask of them or beat both OU and then Baylor which would devalue their previous win against Baylor.

- OU needs OK State to be ranked high to boost their resume but beating them twice in 2 weeks would send OK State tumbling down the rankings.

The wildcard would still be Alabama imo.  Alabama has looked mortal this season in several games but they are still Alabama and we know the committee loves them.  A close loss to Georgia might still not be enough to push Bama out.

On 11/21/2021 at 4:24 PM, clpp01 said:

My guess is Notre Dame with (chuckles) a win over Stanford would get them in over a 1 loss B12 champion.

- Baylor already has 2 losses so they are out

- Oklahoma State would have to beat OU twice in 2 weeks when beating OU twice in a decade is a tough ask of them or beat both OU and then Baylor which would devalue their previous win against Baylor.

- OU needs OK State to be ranked high to boost their resume but beating them twice in 2 weeks would send OK State tumbling down the rankings.

The wildcard would still be Alabama imo.  Alabama has looked mortal this season in several games but they are still Alabama and we know the committee loves them.  A close loss to Georgia might still not be enough to push Bama out.

- Notre Dame won't get in ahead of a 1-loss P5 Champion (in part because ND doesn't play a conference championship, and the absence of that data point hurts them).

- OK State is ranked in the Top-10, and ahead of OU and Baylor .... Defeating OU would give OU their second loss.  They would lose out to Baylor, for an opportunity to play for the conference championship, because Baylor (also 10-2) will won head-to-head against OU.  OK State only has to beat them once.  The winner of the OU/OK State game will play Baylor in the Big12 Championship

- If BAMA loses to UGA, by any margin, they won't make the playoffs.  They have to beat UGA to make the playoffs.  I'm not so sure they can, because UGA has the better defense.

Archived