Rose Bowl

HLB

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 12/26/2021 at 8:43 PM, Scorcho said:

you had to be a member of Utah’s Crimson club in order to purchase Rose Bowl tickets from Utah and they did it in tiers over a couple of weeks based on your donation level. Ohio St fans couldn’t purchase tickets from Utah’s allotment. Many Ute fans got frustrated so they purchased their tickets from Ohio St because it was easier and quicker. 

Ute fans recognize this might be a once in a lifetime event

I said "Perhaps" .... We don't know how tOSU fans might obtain their tickets.  What we do know is that their own ticket allotment through the university isn't the only way they can (and will) obtain tickets. Bottom line, to suggest that there won't be many tOSU fans in the stands is ridiculous.

On 12/26/2021 at 12:15 PM, glduck said:

It’s like you’re in a competition with yourself to say the dumbest thing possible, but because you make things up on a whim so regularly you can’t remember which dumb thing you’re contradicting yourself on.

A2E73A7F-0AE0-4D58-AF2F-33959A110BD0.jpeg

35F0FD5C-C8B4-4244-A48E-EDDB1CD1EFA3.jpeg

Wow.  Talk about taking statements out of context.

I never said the B1G teams don't want to win and don't care to play in the bowl game.  I only said that the Rose Bowl isn't revered as it used to be - even by B1G teams.

PAC12 fans still seem to relish the Rose Bowl as the biggest bowl of all bowls.  In reality, everyone outside the PAC12 footprint no longer see the Rose Bowl as "the pinnacle" of bowls, including the B1G.

People used to watch it religiously, every year (including myself).  Not so much, anymore.

On 12/29/2021 at 12:06 AM, HLB said:

I never said the B1G teams don't want to win and don't care to play in the bowl game.  I only said that the Rose Bowl isn't revered as it used to be - even by B1G teams.

PAC12 fans still seem to relish the Rose Bowl as the biggest bowl of all bowls.  In reality, everyone outside the PAC12 footprint no longer see the Rose Bowl as "the pinnacle" of bowls, including the B1G.

People used to watch it religiously, every year (including myself).  Not so much, anymore.

None of us think this.

Please stop posting here.

I imagine folks will tune in to watch the Rose Bowl in large numbers. I am reading in SD Tribune that Utah had three games this year with over 3 million viewers and two of those games had over 4 million viewers.  I think people love the underdog story and will view Utah as the underdog.  Utah is building a following. 

Ohio State better be careful. Utah is basically the same team as Michigan and the Rose Bowl crowd will be pro Utah. There were thousands of Utah fans here in San Diego last night. I believe (hope) many came to cheer on my Bruins and go to Sea World. I’m driving up to my office in Carson right now and seeing a lot of Utah flags all over Southern California. 

I still don’t get how Utah is our best team but I’ll be there in the stadium with my Bruin shirt and my Ute hat. Love the Utah helmets for the game. Go Utes. 

On 12/29/2021 at 1:06 AM, HLB said:

HLB pretzel logic

- Rose Bowl isn't as revered as it used to be

- Ohio St returns 7,000 tickets

- previous Rose Bowl travel agents sold 400 different packages to Ohio St groups - this year they sold 2

- Ohio St will travel well to the Rose Bowl

how-to-make-homemade-pretzels-SQUARE.jpg

On 12/25/2021 at 6:35 AM, HLB said:

So, you admit that all of the other PAC12 bowl games are garbage.

As for the Rose Bowl, it's the only game that matters to you (and other PAC12 fans).

You're right - it is 2021.  And you fail to understand is that the Rose Bowl, in 2021 - known throughout history as the "Grandaddy of Them All" - is no longer revered by anyone, outside the PAC12 footprint.

> It no longer has national appeal

> It matters to the PAC12. but not so much to the B1G teams who miss making the playoffs.

> And to most across the country, it's just another meaningless bowl game that doesn't matter.

Sorry to have to break that news to you.

Too Funny.  Let's look at a few facts.

1.  You thought the P12 has 10 teams

2. You thought the P12 Champ would play in the Sugar Bowl or Fiesta Bowl. Not having a clue what our bowl ties are. When you were called out on 1 and 2, you made it sound like you were "kidding" or it was just a small "oversight".

And now you are trying to educate the board on traveling fans from different conferences, bowl reputations, current interest levels and a national radar of what's important. LOL.  You don't even have a clue where the Rose Bowl is played without looking it up first. 

Here's my guess. You've never been to a live college football game, a bowl game and most certainly, you've never set foot in a CFB stadium out West. I highly doubt you've ever left your own state in any capacity.  You live with your grand parents, they pay all your bills because your job as a Walmart greeter part time barely covers your bus fair and or your rent for living in their basement. 

Here's a hint numb nuts. People aren't impressed with morons that brag about what they know or claim they are. 95% of the time, anyone with common sense doesn't need to try to brag behind a keyboard especially once they've been exposed dozen's of times as a liar, fake and downright just stupid. 

On 12/27/2021 at 12:49 PM, Scorcho said:

Utah's trajectory is up, but its razor close, if not at its ceiling. USC, Oregon and UW have the ability to land top 10 recruiting classes, Utah does not. That needs to happen be the next step in a programs progression. Utah doesn't have the $$$, history or culture to compete nationally with schools who can recruit top 10 classes. 

Maybe saying this is a once in a lifetime is extreme, maybe its more like once every 20 years. 

Utah will never be a blueblood. And we will likely never land top 10 recruiting classes consistently.  There's a reason the CFP has most of the same teams year after year.  When USC has their head out of their ass, they should be in this group.

But the top bluebloods double up just about everyone else on spending, revenue and just about anything else important when it comes to resources for success. But when it comes to spending money on football, Utah is right up there with the best teams in the P12 according to financials in Equity in Athletics. 

UW: $38 Mill per year on football

USC: $36 Mill

Oregon: $33 Mill

Utah: $32 Mill

ASU: $32 Mill

UCLA: $32 Mill

Cal: $31 Mill

Stan: $28 Mill

WSU: $23 mill

CU: $23 Mill

OSU: $22 Mill

AZ:  $22 Mill

Utah is clearly in the game on being competitive, top shelf facilities and fan interest. 

We typically get top half of the conference recruiting classes and I think it's fair to say, we do more with less. As long as we can keep this work ethic and coaching success(big question going forward after KW), I think we can be a consistent top 20 team and flirt with NY6 bowls and if the stars line up, get a shot at the CFP once in a great while. If they expand the playoffs, even more so. 

On 12/29/2021 at 7:08 PM, utenation said:

Utah will never be a blueblood. And we will likely never land top 10 recruiting classes consistently.  There's a reason the CFP has most of the same teams year after year.  When USC has their head out of their ass, they should be in this group.

But the top bluebloods double up just about everyone else on spending, revenue and just about anything else important when it comes to resources for success. But when it comes to spending money on football, Utah is right up there with the best teams in the P12 according to financials in Equity in Athletics. 

UW: $38 Mill per year on football

USC: $36 Mill

Oregon: $33 Mill

Utah: $32 Mill

ASU: $32 Mill

UCLA: $32 Mill

Cal: $31 Mill

Stan: $28 Mill

WSU: $23 mill

CU: $23 Mill

OSU: $22 Mill

AZ:  $22 Mill

Utah is clearly in the game on being competitive, top shelf facilities and fan interest. 

We typically get top half of the conference recruiting classes and I think it's fair to say, we do more with less. As long as we can keep this work ethic and coaching success(big question going forward after KW), I think we can be a consistent top 20 team and flirt with NY6 bowls and if the stars line up, get a shot at the CFP once in a great while. If they expand the playoffs, even more so. 

Utah's recruiting has improved nicely, but it might be a stretch to say that it's typically top half of the conference.  From the 247 Composite rankings:

• 2015: 10th
  • 2016: 8th
  • 2017: 7th
  • 2018: 5th
  • 2019: 7th
  • 2020: 5th
  • 2021: 6th
  • 2022; 3rd (incomplete as of this date)

On 12/29/2021 at 5:05 PM, utenation said:

Too Funny.  Let's look at a few facts.

1.  You thought the P12 has 10 teams

2. You thought the P12 Champ would play in the Sugar Bowl or Fiesta Bowl. Not having a clue what our bowl ties are. When you were called out on 1 and 2, you made it sound like you were "kidding" or it was just a small "oversight".

And now you are trying to educate the board on traveling fans from different conferences, bowl reputations, current interest levels and a national radar of what's important. LOL.  You don't even have a clue where the Rose Bowl is played without looking it up first. 

Here's my guess. You've never been to a live college football game, a bowl game and most certainly, you've never set foot in a CFB stadium out West. I highly doubt you've ever left your own state in any capacity.  You live with your grand parents, they pay all your bills because your job as a Walmart greeter part time barely covers your bus fair and or your rent for living in their basement. 

Here's a hint numb nuts. People aren't impressed with morons that brag about what they know or claim they are. 95% of the time, anyone with common sense doesn't need to try to brag behind a keyboard especially once they've been exposed dozen's of times as a liar, fake and downright just stupid. 

Let's review some facts:

1.)  I've always known the number of teams in the PAC (8, 10 or 12).  I simply didn't proofread what I wrote, because it's not that important to me that I be "perfect" on these meaningless threads.  But you all seem to enjoy my blunders, because you simply don't like me - which doesn't matter to me.

2.)  I've always known that the PAC12 and B1G play in the Rose Bowl, and that the SEC plays in the Sugar Bowl.  AGAIN, I didn't go back and proofread what I wrote, because it doesn't matter that much to me, if I make a blunder.  

3.)  If you think that writers - at all levels - don't make grammatical errors, or mistakes in their writing, then you fail to understand the roles of editors.

4.)  Over the last 20-25 years, the Rose Bowl has lost its edge.  Fans outside of the PAC12 footprint do not view the Rose Bowl as being any different than the Orange Bowl, Sugar Bowl, Fiesta Bowl, etc.  Only PAC12 fans continue to think that the Rose Bowl is the pinnacle of bowls, and the media continues to try and sell that narrative.

5.)  The two schools whose fanbase travels greater than any other schools in the country are Notre Dame and Ohio State.  To suggest (as was suggested on this thread) that tOSU won't travel well is shallow thinking.

6.) I'm 60 years old.  I've traveled extensively, and I've been to over half of the major college football stadiums, and I've covered bowl games as a sportswriter.  And I'm not bragging.  I'm just stating facts that you don't want to hear. 

7.) My guess is that you've never been to a stadium outside of the PAC12 footprint.

On 12/29/2021 at 6:13 PM, EastCoastFan said:

Utah's recruiting has improved nicely, but it might be a stretch to say that it's typically top half of the conference.  From the 247 Composite rankings:

• 2015: 10th
  • 2016: 8th
  • 2017: 7th
  • 2018: 5th
  • 2019: 7th
  • 2020: 5th
  • 2021: 6th
  • 2022; 3rd (incomplete as of this date)

With the exception of 8th and 10th ranked classes on your list, I don’t think saying top half is a huge stretch.  Especially since 2018. Did you use overall ranking or average star ranking? 

Either way, I think there’s a few P12 teams that recruit much better consistently and have much less success than Utah. Bottom line, to my point, we won’t get many if any top 10 classes but we certainly are competitive on the field.

We put more than a few guys in the NFL as well.

On 12/29/2021 at 6:52 PM, HLB said:

6.) I'm 60 years old.  I've traveled extensively, and I've been to over half of the major college football stadiums, and I've covered bowl games as a sportswriter.  And I'm not bragging.  I'm just stating facts that you don't want to hear.

LMAO. You just made my day with this one.. Thank you.🤣

On 12/29/2021 at 5:52 PM, HLB said:

4.)  Over the last 20-25 years, the Rose Bowl has lost its edge.  Fans outside of the PAC12 footprint do not view the Rose Bowl as being any different than the Orange Bowl, Sugar Bowl, Fiesta Bowl, etc.  Only PAC12 fans continue to think that the Rose Bowl is the pinnacle of bowls, and the media continues to try and sell that narrative.

Ah yes, that famous west coast-biased media.

On 12/29/2021 at 6:52 PM, HLB said:

Yes, clearly. The Rose Bowl has lost it's edge. Nobody cares. Even though in 2020, it was the second most watched non playoff NY6 Bowl.

https://deadline.com/2020/01/rose-bowl-ratings-slip-but-game-still-second-most-watched-non-semifinal-new-years-six-game-1202819778/

And it failed again the year before in 2019 when The Rose Bowl was the most watched non playoff NY6.

https://espnpressroom.com/us/press-releases/2019/01/espn-begins-2019-with-record-setting-viewership-for-the-rose-bowl-game-presented-by-northwestern-mutual-and-allstate-sugar-bowl/

I mean unless of course you actually have some stats and facts on your claim? Or are you just "spit balling" ideas again?

By all means, share your dead on balls accurate sources with us. 

On 12/29/2021 at 9:02 PM, utenation said:

With the exception of 8th and 10th ranked classes on your list, I don’t think saying top half is a huge stretch.  Especially since 2018. Did you use overall ranking or average star ranking? 

Either way, I think there’s a few P12 teams that recruit much better consistently and have much less success than Utah. Bottom line, to my point, we won’t get many if any top 10 classes but we certainly are competitive on the field.

We put more than a few guys in the NFL as well.

This is from the composite overall 247 point rating.  In other words, Utah has slowly been inching up, with most years mid-pack.  The 2022 ratings will likely change, with Utah already with 18 recruits, but USC (7), Oregon (10), and Washinton (6) at this point have far fewer, and are likely to jump up.  In terms of average recruit rating for 2022, Utah at 87.02 currently is in 6th place.

On 12/29/2021 at 8:32 PM, EastCoastFan said:

This is from the composite overall 247 point rating.  In other words, Utah has slowly been inching up, with most years mid-pack.  The 2022 ratings will likely change, with Utah already with 18 recruits, but USC (7), Oregon (10), and Washinton (6) at this point have far fewer, and are likely to jump up.  In terms of average recruit rating for 2022, Utah at 87.02 currently is in 6th place.

Rivals, which seems to cover Utah better has them slightly higher than 247 in some years but since 2015, they average out to 6th as well.  And I agree, we are inching up the last few years. We've done well with average ranked classes, kinda makes you wonder what we could do with a few top 10 classes. We have a coaching change coming soon. So that could continue to trend well or go south. My guess is our DC will be our next HC. If that happens, I'd expect recruiting to stay on the same path.

If we can win the Rose Bowl, I think that pays off well in recruiting. 

Archived