Rose Bowl

HLB

What's the big scheme of things? That we're destroying the earth for semi-conductor materials for cell phones and smart microwaves? 

BTW, Oregon is an unlovable loser. My comment had nothing to do with Utah. Losers say "goly gee" while winners fuck the prom queen and then cut down the rain forests. 

Winning matters, but losing doesn't, is why we have "every" major west coast commit going to Clemson. 

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 1/2/2022 at 12:28 AM, dtd said:

What's the big scheme of things? That we're destroying the earth for semi-conductor materials for cell phones and smart microwaves? 

BTW, Oregon is an unlovable loser. My comment had nothing to do with Utah. Losers say "goly gee" while winners fuck the prom queen and then cut down the rain forests. 

Winning matters, but losing doesn't, is why we have "every" major west coast commit going to Clemson. 

Are you masturbating by yourself again while you post?  Don't you get the keypad sticky?  Why don't you calm down, and maybe find a human somewhere (there's gotta be someone...) who might find you attractive?  Anger isn't the best way to start a New Year.

On 1/2/2022 at 12:00 AM, EastCoastFan said:

Are you masturbating by yourself again while you post?  Don't you get the keypad sticky?  Why don't you calm down, and maybe find a human somewhere (there's gotta be someone...) who might find you attractive?  Anger isn't the best way to start a New Year.

yikes. Do you often masturbate with others? When you don't have a leg to stand on, get personal. There's no surer sign you're defeated. 

On 1/1/2022 at 6:20 PM, Trojan209 said:

Numbers don't lie. During the CFP era, in years when the Rose Bowl is not a semi-final/national championship game it is the most-watched bowl game.

In 2015 it overtook the Fiesta, Sugar, and Peach Bowls as the most-watched NY6 bowl games despite having Stanford and Iowa represent the PAC-12/B1G conferences and are not known for having massive fan bases like Ohio State, Notre Dame, or even Michigan/UF in the Citrus Bowl that year.

In 2016 the USC/Penn State Rose Bowl game once again outdrew the other non-semifinal NY6 games Sugar (OU/Auburn), Cotton (Wisconsin/W. Michigan), and Orange (FSU/Michigan) and the numbers weren't even close. 

In 2018 the traditional B1G/PAC-12 matchup included Ohio State/Washington that drew 16.781M viewers while the Sugar (Texas/UGA) drew 13.298M, Fiesta (LSU/UCF) drew 8.471M viewers and the Peach (Florida-Michigan) game drew 8.366M viewers. Literally doubled viewership compared to mighty SEC powers like LSU, Florida, Georgia and soon-to-be SEC member Texas. 

In 2019, the Oregon/Wisconsin matchup drew in 16.30M viewers while other NY6 matchups didn't really come that close either. Sugar (UGA/Baylor) 10.22M, Cotton (PSU/Memphis) 6.22M, Orange (Florida/UVA) 6.07M viewers. Some of these are practically home games (Georgia/Florida). I guess they could have been at the game, but that doesn't explain the poor showing in viewership compared to the Rose that also seats more fans. Even the Alabama/Michigan Citrus bowl game managed to outperform the other NY6 games, minus the Rose Bowl with 14M viewers. 

When looking at the years when the Rose Bowl was a semi-final game the numbers get a little interesting as well. In 2014 The FSU/Oregon game drew 28.16M fans meanwhile the OSU/Alabama Sugar Bowl drew in 28.28M viewers, which is even despite FSU/Oregon not having arguably not as massive followings as OSU/Alabama. In 2017 the Georgia/Oklahoma Rose Bowl game drew in 27.913M viewers while the Alabama/Clemson Sugar Bowl was a little short of that at 21.473M viewers. Now, I get that in 2020 COVID affected a lot and even caused the Rose Bowl to be moved to Texas. However, the Rose Bowl had 18.89M viewers and managed to be outperformed, slightly, by the Sugar Bowl (OSU/Clemson) with 19.15M viewers but both games managed to outperform the Alabama/OSU national championship game with 18.65M viewers. 

My long drawn-out point is that the Rose Bowl game is consistently the most-watched non-semifinal NY6 bowl game and has the potential to outperform the other semi-final game and even the national championship game. So to say that nobody outside of the PAC-12 cares to watch the game simply isn't true. 

2014:

Wednesday, December 31
8.94M
8:00 PM Miss. State/Georgia Tech
Orange Bowl
ESPN
7.41M
4:00 PM Boise State/Arizona
Fiesta Bowl
ESPN
5.01M
12:30 PM Mississippi/TCU
Peach Bowl
ESPN
Thursday, January 1
28.27M
8:30 PM Ohio State/Alabama
Sugar Bowl (Semifinal #2)
ESPN
28.16M
5:00 PM FSU/Oregon
Rose Bowl (Semifinal #1)
ESPN
9.09M
12:30 PM Michigan State/Baylor
Cotton Bowl
ESPN
6.42M
12:00 PM Auburn/Wisconsin
Outback Bowl
ESPN2
6.12M
1:00 PM Missouri/Minnesota
Citrus Bowl
ABC

2015:

Thursday, December 31
9.6 18.552M Alabama/MSU
Cotton Bowl (semi)
8:20 PM ESPN
9.1 15.640M Clemson/Okla.
Orange Bowl (semi)
4:10 PM ESPN
3.7 5.604M Houston/FSU
Peach Bowl
11:58 AM ESPN
Friday, January 1
7.4 13.552M Stanford/Iowa
Rose Bowl
5:09 PM ESPN
5.6 9.759M Ohio State/ND
Fiesta Bowl
12:56 PM ESPN
5.1 8.940M Miss./Okla. St.
Sugar Bowl
8:39 PM ESPN
5.1 8.761M Michigan/UF
Citrus Bowl
1:00 PM ABC
2.821M N’Wstn/Tenn.
Outback Bowl
12:00 PM ESPN2

2016:

Friday, December 30
6.2 11.461M FSU
Michigan
Orange Bowl 8:11 PM ESPN
3.1 5.026M Tennessee
Nebraska
Music City Bowl 3:30 PM ESPN
3.128M Georgia
TCU
Liberty Bowl 12:00 PM ESPN
1.9 2.926M Stanford
UNC
Sun Bowl 2:00 PM CBS
Saturday, December 31
10.7 19.344M Alabama
Washington (semi)
Peach Bowl 3:12 PM ESPN
ESPN2
9.8 19.237M Clemson
Ohio State (semi)
Fiesta Bowl 7:10 PM ESPN
ESPN2
3.9 6.390M LSU
Louisville
Citrus Bowl 11:01 AM ABC
1.6 2.647M Ga. Tech
Kentucky
Gator Bowl 11:00 AM ESPN
Monday, January 2
8.6 15.740M USC
Penn State
Rose Bowl 5:13 PM ESPN
5.6 9.515M Oklahoma
Auburn
Sugar Bowl 9:29 PM ESPN
3.6 6.106M Florida
Iowa
Outback Bowl 1:00 PM ABC
3.1 5.442M Wisconsin
W. Michigan 
Cotton Bowl 1:02 PM ESPN

2017:

POSTSEASON RATINGS
RTG VWRS
(+ Stream)
GAME BOWL DATE/TIME NET
15.6 (28.443M) Alabama
Georgia
CFPNC Jan. 8, 8:00 PM ESPN,
ESPN2,
ESPNU
13.7 (26.913M) Georgia
Oklahoma
Rose (Semi) Jan. 1, 5:00 PM ESPN &
ESPN2
11.4 (21.473M) Alabama
Clemson
Sugar (Semi) Jan. 1, 9:00 PM ESPN &
ESPN2
6.3 (11.727M) Wisconsin
Miami
Orange Dec. 30, 8:00 PM ESPN 
5.7 (10.167M) Penn State
Washington
Fiesta Dec. 30, 4:00 PM ESPN
5.3 (9.468M) Ohio State
USC
Cotton Dec. 29, 8:00 PM ESPN
5.1 (8.713M) Notre Dame
LSU
Citrus Jan. 1, 1:00 PM ABC
4.6 (8.377M) UCF
Auburn
Peach Jan. 1, 12:30 PM ESPN
2.8 (5.050M) So. Carolina
Michigan
Outback Jan. 1, Noon ESPN2
2.8 (4.626M) Northwestern
Kentucky
Music City Dec. 29, 5:15 PM ESPN
2.7 (4.424M) Miss. St.
Louisville
Gator Dec. 30, Noon

ESPN

2018:

RTG VWRS
(+ STREAM)
GAME BOWL DATE/TIME NET
13.8 (25.280M) CLEM-ALA CFPNC 1/7, 8:00P ESPN MEGACAST
9.9 (19.069M) ALA-OKLA (semi) Orange 12/29, 8:00P ESPN/ESPN2
9.4 (16.809M) CLEM-ND (semi) Cotton 12/29, 4:00P ESPN/ESPN2
8.9 (16.781M) OSU-WASH Rose 1/1, 5:00P ESPN/ESPN2
7.3 (13.298M) TEX-UGA Sugar 1/1, 8:30P ESPN/ESPN2
4.7 (8.471M) LSU-UCF Fiesta 1/1, 1:00P ESPN
5.0 (8.366M) UF-MICH Peach 12/29, NOON ESPN
4.4 7.709M UK-PSU Citrus 1/1, 1:00P ABC
3.2 (5.547M) WASH ST-IA ST Alamo 12/28, 9:00P ESPN
2.7 (5.142M) T A&M-NC ST Gator 12/31, 8:00P ESPN

2019:

Bowl season

DATE/TIME GAME NET RTG. +/- VWRS. +/-
1/13, 8:00p LSU-CLEM
NATIONAL CHAMPIONSHIP
ESPN MEGACAST 14.3 +4% 25.59M +1%
12/28, 8:00p CLEM-OSU
FIESTA BOWL (CFP SEMI)
ESPN MEGACAST 11.1 +12% 21.15M +11%
12/28, 4:00p LSU-OU
PEACH BOWL (CFP SEMI)
ESPN MEGACAST 9.5 +1% 17.21M +2%
1/1, 5:00p ORE-WISC
ROSE BOWL*
ESPN
ESPN2
8.7 -2% 16.30M -3%
1/1, 1:00p ALA-MICH
CITRUS BOWL
ABC 8.0 +82% 14.00M +82%
1/1, 8:30p UGA-BYLR
SUGAR BOWL
ESPN
ESPN2
5.7 -22% 10.22M -23%
12/28, Noon PSU-MEM
COTTON BOWL*
ESPN 3.8 -28% 6.22M -34%
12/30, 8:00p UF-UVA
ORANGE BOWL*
ESPN 3.5 -44% 6.07M -48%
12/31, 7:30p TEX-UTA
ALAMO BOWL
ESPN 3.1 -3% 5.61M

+1%

2020:

DATE/TIME GAME NET RTG. +/- VWRS. +/-
1/1, 8:00p Sugar: OSU-CLEM* ESPN Mega 9.8 -12% 19.15M -9%
1/1, 4:00p Rose: ND-ALA* ESPN Mega 9.6 +1% 18.89M +10%
1/11, 8:00p CFPNC: ALA-OSU ESPN Mega still to come 18.65M -27%
1/1, Noon Peach: UGA-CIN** ESPN Mega 4.9 -2% 8.73M +4%
1/2, 8:00p Orange: T A&M-UNC ESPN 4.3 +23% 7.58M +25%
1/2, 4:00p Fiesta: IA ST-ORE** ESPN 3.8 -19% 6.68M -21%
12/30, 8:00p Cotton: OKLA-UF ESPN 3.2 -16% 5.77M -7%
1/1, 1:00p Citrus: AUB-NWSTN ABC 2.8 -65% 4.78M -66%
1/2, 12:30p Outback: MISS-IND ABC 2.5 +4% 4.11M +3%
12/31, 4:00p Liberty: ARMY-WVU ESPN 2.2 +5% 3.74M +12%

You need to go back and read what I said.

I said, "Outside of the Rose Bowl, does anyone really care" (in reference to the other bowl games that the PAC12 is playing in).

That being said, the Rose Bowl is no longer revered by fans across the country, as it once was.  They watch it, (I never said people won't watch it) but they don't look at it as the pinnacle of all bowls, as they once did.

Only the PAC12 looks at the Rose Bowl as the pinnacle of all bowls.   But People outside of the PAC12 footprint do not look at it any differently than they do some other bowls.  They just don't.

On 1/1/2022 at 7:54 PM, dtd said:

What horrific clock management by both teams. Why in the world would Whit not use any of this three timeouts? And why in the world would Day call a timeout with 12 seconds left? 

If they start listening to you then they will be at home on chat boards with you, instead of coaching these teams in the Rose Bowl

On 1/1/2022 at 10:55 PM, dtd said:

It's not an indictment of Utah. It's what losers say. Just win. Being proud about losing is what gets us Pac-12 football. The lovable losers always have guts and poise and moxie and heart. People hate Belichik and Saban because they win. Nobody hates Mike Riley. 

Like it or not, Utah was representing the PAC12, just as Ohio State was representing the B1G.

And as an outsider who doesn't pull for either conference, Utah gave Ohio State all they wanted, and more.  The fact that this game came down to the last possession is something that very few across the country would have expected.

In the end, Utah represented the PAC12, better than Ohio State represented the B1G.  Granted Ohio State got the win, but on paper, Ohio State should have dominated, and this game should have never been close.  But they didn't dominate, and it was close - thanks to the hard-fought effort by Utah.

Great game.  I was pulling for Utah, even though I thought tOSU would win comfortably.  Great effort by Utah.  A tough game to lose.  And Cam Rising needs to be on the 2022 Heisman watch list.

I don't know what players Utah will lose, but they should clearly be the favorite to win the PAC12, in 2022, and might go undefeated (and make the playoffs).

Look for them to beat a reorganizing Florida program, in 2022.

On 1/2/2022 at 8:31 AM, HLB said:

I said, "Outside of the Rose Bowl, does anyone really care" (in reference to the other bowl games that the PAC12 is playing in).

That being said, the Rose Bowl is no longer revered by fans across the country, as it once was.  They watch it, (I never said people won't watch it) but they don't look at it as the pinnacle of all bowls, as they once did.

Only the PAC12 looks at the Rose Bowl as the pinnacle of all bowls.   But People outside of the PAC12 footprint do not look at it any differently than they do some other bowls.  They just don't.

Your problem is you’re trying to assign a tier system to a bunch of bowls whose relevance has been extremely diminished due to the CFP. People in the West and upper Midwest think the Rose Bowl is the bees knees? Shocking! People in the South favor the Sugar? Oh my! Who knew college football could be so regional, amirite?

The two rotating CFP bowls of a given season are the top two bowls. No one denies this. It’s the system we’re all playing in.

After that, it’s subjective. The Pac and the B1G think the Rose is top dog. The South is all about the Sugar, and the Orange and Fiesta are regional disappointments when we’re forced to play in them when the Rose and Sugar are occupied.

On 12/25/2021 at 5:35 AM, HLB said:

So, you admit that all of the other PAC12 bowl games are garbage.

As for the Rose Bowl, it's the only game that matters to you (and other PAC12 fans).

You're right - it is 2021.  And you fail to understand is that the Rose Bowl, in 2021 - known throughout history as the "Grandaddy of Them All" - is no longer revered by anyone, outside the PAC12 footprint.

> It no longer has national appeal

> It matters to the PAC12. but not so much to the B1G teams who miss making the playoffs.

> And to most across the country, it's just another meaningless bowl game that doesn't matter.

Sorry to have to break that news to you.

On 1/2/2022 at 8:31 AM, HLB said:

This is more or less what I was referencing when you said it no longer has national appeal, which by the numbers isn't true. With viewership numbers across the PAC-12 down and P12N subscription numbers down wouldn't it be reasonable to assume then that PAC12 fans wouldn't be watching the Rose Bowl then? So with the other NY6 games that aren't semi-final sites, they should be outdrawing the Rose Bowl in terms of viewership numbers which hasn't happened, and nearly every year the Rose Bowl viewership is double that of some of the other NY6 bowl games. 

I understand that CFB fans living in Georgia may not view the Rose Bowl the same as they might the Sugar and that's fair, it's what makes the regionality of the sport great, similar for CFB fans living in Texas might hold the Cotton Bowl in higher esteem over the Rose Bowl. But The Rose Bowl still outperforms on tv which means that more fans outside the PAC-12 footprint must still care to watch it. If I had the time I would love to delve into viewership numbers by state which would probably further my point. 

Like glduck pointed out, the semi-final bowl games are going to be the most-watched every year. The CFP changed the bowl system and now the rest of the bowl games just have to deal with it, but it's also safe to assume that even non-PAC-12/B1G fans are going to still tune into the Rose Bowl going forward whether it's a semi-final site or not. 

On 1/2/2022 at 6:11 PM, Trojan209 said:

This is more or less what I was referencing when you said it no longer has national appeal, which by the numbers isn't true. With viewership numbers across the PAC-12 down and P12N subscription numbers down wouldn't it be reasonable to assume then that PAC12 fans wouldn't be watching the Rose Bowl then? So with the other NY6 games that aren't semi-final sites, they should be outdrawing the Rose Bowl in terms of viewership numbers which hasn't happened, and nearly every year the Rose Bowl viewership is double that of some of the other NY6 bowl games. 

I understand that CFB fans living in Georgia may not view the Rose Bowl the same as they might the Sugar and that's fair, it's what makes the regionality of the sport great, similar for CFB fans living in Texas might hold the Cotton Bowl in higher esteem over the Rose Bowl. But The Rose Bowl still outperforms on tv which means that more fans outside the PAC-12 footprint must still care to watch it. If I had the time I would love to delve into viewership numbers by state which would probably further my point. 

Like glduck pointed out, the semi-final bowl games are going to be the most-watched every year. The CFP changed the bowl system and now the rest of the bowl games just have to deal with it, but it's also safe to assume that even non-PAC-12/B1G fans are going to still tune into the Rose Bowl going forward whether it's a semi-final site or not. 

First off, the numbers you presented showed that the Rose Bowl wasn't always the most viewed.

Secondly, I never said that it doesn't have any appeal.  I said that it isn't revered as the pinnacle of bowl games.  If you went East, you would find that people don't look at the Rose Bowl as being any different than the Orange Bowl, Sugar Bowl, Fiesta Bowl, and etc.  It's no longer looked at as the greatest of all bowl games.

I would also add that the Rose Bowl is typically played at a time slot when no other bowl games are being played, which only heightens viewership.  It's typically played when no other bowl games are ongoing, and everyone who has a taste to watch CFB is going to tune it.

Put it in a time slot when other bowl games are being played at the same time, and then see what the viewership numbers look like.

At the end of the day, people outside of the PAC12 footprint no longer think of the Rose Bowl as being any different than any other major bowl.  Is it a major bowl?  Yes.  Does it have appeal to CFB fans?  Yes.  Are people going to watch it (particularly when it's the only game being played at the time)?  Yes.  But it's no longer viewed as being any different than the other major bowls, as it once was.  People used to think of it as the "Grandaddy of Them All", but they don't anymore.  And that's my point.

On 1/3/2022 at 5:22 PM, HLB said:

I would also add that the Rose Bowl is typically played at a time slot when no other bowl games are being played, which only heightens viewership.  It's typically played when no other bowl games are ongoing, and everyone who has a taste to watch CFB is going to tune it.

Put it in a time slot when other bowl games are being played at the same time, and then see what the viewership numbers look like.

Like, why don’t other networks just air something at the same time as the Super Bowl and rake in that sweet advertising $$, am I right?

On 1/3/2022 at 6:22 PM, HLB said:

At the end of the day, people outside of the PAC12 footprint no longer think of the Rose Bowl as being any different than any other major bowl.  Is it a major bowl?  Yes.  Does it have appeal to CFB fans?  Yes.  Are people going to watch it (particularly when it's the only game being played at the time)?  Yes.  But it's no longer viewed as being any different than the other major bowls, as it once was.  People used to think of it as the "Grandaddy of Them All", but they don't anymore.  And that's my point.

Curious, do you have any numbers or stats to back this up? How on earth did the Rose Bowl last week get a 16.6 rating with nobody outside of the P12 footprint interested? You also said it lost it's "edge" in general.  This game was the second most watched game all year behind UGA/Michigan. Didn't the Sugar Bowl have it's own time slot and have only about half the viewers as the Rose at 9.8?

All those rabid fans in the SEC and B12? How can this be?  Highly ranked matchup too. Here's a hint dumbass.  B10 country also views the Rose Bowl as a big deal  as well as the rest of the country. The year by year numbers already posted here prove it as well. It just takes a few numbers to prove your bullshit wrong every time. 

On 1/4/2022 at 5:25 PM, utenation said:

Curious, do you have any numbers or stats to back this up? How on earth did the Rose Bowl last week get a 16.6 rating with nobody outside of the P12 footprint interested? You also said it lost it's "edge" in general.  This game was the second most watched game all year behind UGA/Michigan. Didn't the Sugar Bowl have it's own time slot and have only about half the viewers as the Rose at 9.8?

All those rabid fans in the SEC and B12? How can this be?  Highly ranked matchup too. Here's a hint dumbass.  B10 country also views the Rose Bowl as a big deal  as well as the rest of the country. The year by year numbers already posted here prove it as well. It just takes a few numbers to prove your bullshit wrong every time. 

He literally does not care if a single thing he says is true.  He just spouts off about some dumb shit, waits for us to fact-check him, then he ignores it and comes back to post some more bullshit later on as if he has even a scintilla of credibility.  It’s embarrassing to watch.  

On 1/3/2022 at 5:22 PM, HLB said:

First off, the numbers you presented showed that the Rose Bowl wasn't always the most viewed.

Secondly, I never said that it doesn't have any appeal.  I said that it isn't revered as the pinnacle of bowl games.  If you went East, you would find that people don't look at the Rose Bowl as being any different than the Orange Bowl, Sugar Bowl, Fiesta Bowl, and etc.  It's no longer looked at as the greatest of all bowl games.

I'm not really sure how more clear I can make myself.

I never claimed that the Rose Bowl was the most-watched Bowl game every year. With the exception of 2020 and now 2021 it was always behind the semi-final and national championship games. Which makes it the most-watched non-semifinal/championship game during those years. When it rotates as a semi-final site it was edged out by the other semi-final site by 120,000 viewers in 2014 and 260,000 viewers in 2020. 

To your other point, the NY6 games generally have their own time slots with a few exceptions over the years. So that's not a very good argument for why the other NY6 bowl games don't perform as well as the Rose Bowl. 

I could put everything in a neater chart if that helps, but I kind of figured what I copied and pasted from SMW would have sufficed. 

On 1/10/2022 at 1:41 PM, Quack 12 said:

As long as they keep playing it, it will always be this.

BTW, "Granddaddy" has 4 "Ds."

Here's some other food for thought about the Rose Bowl festivities. The Rose Parade was broadcasted on both ABC and NBC and other channels. I think the average in person attendance most years is anywhere from 600K to 800K and they average around 40 Million viewers on TV.. Give or take.

Until I looked it up, I wasn't aware that some of the other NY6 Bowls also have New Year's Eve parades. I don't think any these were on national TV and I couldn't really find any attendance numbers. But they aren't even in the same universe as the Rose Parade. I feel safe saying that.

In this thread, we've established that The Rose Bowl Game is very consistently top of the charts in TV ratings for non playoff games and this year, was tied for second on tv ratings for all games watched this year including the playoff semis.

I guess I'm just confused. @HLB has told everyone here that the Rose Bowl is basically extinct and nobody outside of P12 country cares. Based on all the numbers posted here, I guess the opinion of a river rock with an IQ of 80 means more.. Stats don't matter.  Him being a National Sport's Writer is the only thing that should matter. 

Archived