Ute Fans 2021 Season

utenation

So if, big if we beat tOSU in the Rose, where will this season rank for you? Obviously the 2004 and 2008 seasons are at the top. Undefeated, good wins over highly ranked TCU and Bama.

Even though we have some gut wrenching losses to BYU, OSU and SDSU this year, we went 9-1 with Cam as the starter and beat 9 P5 teams.. Won the P12 finally and 2 decisive wins over a highly ranked UO team.  First conference title in 11 years. Obviously a down year in the P12 but still much better than a MWC title.

Not to mention, overcame a very emotional season with player deaths.

If we beat Ohio State, this will be # 1 for me. I started following and going to games in about 1984.. Kinda cool to look back at how far we've came. Before McBride, our last bowl game was in 1964.. Utah was a disaster for decades before Ron.. Meyer put us on the national map in 2003 and KW is the 2nd longest tenured coach in FBS.. With KW, ups and downs, transition into a P5 conference but mostly all ups... Even if we lose to Ohio State, this will be a very memorable season for me.

@Scorcho @Chile_Ute @Mano @Utefan1211 Where will this one rank for you?

trying to slot these last two victories against Oregon into the list of all time Utah football wins. My initial thought is that they’re both in the top 10, with Friday nights win probably in the top 3 (behind the Sugar and Fiesta Bowl). IMO A win in Pasadena has to be #2 all time just after the Sugar Bowl in 2008.

Utah's in a five game stretch where it played/plays Oregon (2), Ohio St and then opens next year in Florida

200.gif

If I were a Ute fan, I'd rank this as #1 if you beat tOSU.  The wins over Bama and TCU were great, but the Rose Bowl is pretty special when you're in the Pac.  (or maybe that's just something us long-time Pac-10/12 members appreciate more?)

If OSU was 10-3 and won a Rose Bowl, I'd rank it higher than the 2001 Fiesta Bowl where we finished 11-1.

What could have been? 

I don’t know if there are 5 teams playing better than Utah right now.

With all the death, qb drama, etc., this has to be be of the biggest turnarounds in our program and the most satisfying. 

I see that we are 6.5 point underdogs. Utah is going to win and it will be my second favorite win. 

1.  Alabama win.

2. TCU win in 2008

3. Winning the Fiesta

4. All wins against BYU 

5.  All wins against USC

6.  All wins against Oregon 

On 12/6/2021 at 1:18 PM, Utefan1211 said:

What could have been? 

Exactly. Top 11 with 3 losses right now. 2019 was all lined up for a playoff run but we shit the bed against Oregon in the CCG, which tells me, we likely would have been worked over in the playoff but it was a fun run until the last 2 games. Losing to a very average Texas team was embarrassing. 

On 12/6/2021 at 12:43 PM, utenation said:

Obviously a down year in the P12

When has there been an "up year" in the P12?  I can't remember when there's been more than one or two decent teams in the P12.

In addition, you praise the Utes for posting nine P5 wins - all of which were P12 opponents, in what you describe as a "down year" in the P12.  Could the Utes have posted nine P5 wins if they had only played 8 P5 conference games and added one OOC opponent from another conference?  Given that they lost to handily to BYU (5-0 against P12 opponents - and the true P12 Champion in my eyes), I'm thinking "probably not".

It was a good year for Utah, who has a very good coach, and plays some exciting football.

But right now, the conference isn't very strong (and hasn't been for a long while).  Enjoy this year's accomplishments, but keep this year's accomplishments in perspective.

On 12/6/2021 at 1:04 PM, Scorcho said:

trying to slot these last two victories against Oregon into the list of all time Utah football wins. My initial thought is that they’re both in the top 10, with Friday nights win probably in the top 3 (behind the Sugar and Fiesta Bowl). IMO A win in Pasadena has to be #2 all time just after the Sugar Bowl in 2008.

Utah's in a five game stretch where it played/plays Oregon (2), Ohio St and then opens next year in Florida

200.gif

Oregon was not very good, late in the year.  Ohio State will win comfortably, and decisively.

On 12/6/2021 at 2:18 PM, Utefan1211 said:

What could have been? 

I don’t know if there are 5 teams playing better than Utah right now.

With all the death, qb drama, etc., this has to be be of the biggest turnarounds in our program and the most satisfying. 

I see that we are 6.5 point underdogs. Utah is going to win and it will be my second favorite win. 

1.  Alabama win.

2. TCU win in 2008

3. Winning the Fiesta

4. All wins against BYU 

5.  All wins against USC

6.  All wins against Oregon 

There are, indeed, five teams playing better than Utah, right now.  Four of them are in the playoffs, and one is about to destruct the Utes in the Rose Bowl.  And they've all faced stronger competition.

On 12/6/2021 at 2:44 PM, utenation said:

Exactly. Top 11 with 3 losses right now. 2019 was all lined up for a playoff run but we shit the bed against Oregon in the CCG, which tells me, we likely would have been worked over in the playoff but it was a fun run until the last 2 games. Losing to a very average Texas team was embarrassing. 

The 2019 Texas team played a tougher schedule and was better than average.  Utah played a softer schedule and was overrated.  That "embarrassing loss" simply displayed that the team with the more losses had played tougher teams, while the team with the better record had not faced strong competition.  There's nothing to be embarrassed about in that loss - Texas was the better team (all year, and on any given weekend) in 2019.  Only Ute fans were blind to that fact.

On 12/6/2021 at 3:34 PM, Utefan1211 said:

Listening to Whit, our Utes will be better next year. I’m already planning my trip to Gainsville to beat Florida next year and will n the PAC 12 again. 

You'll enjoy Gainesville - and Utah has a very good chance of winning.  Florida if flat, right now, and transitioning to a new HC, new OC, new offense, etc., etc., etc.

Utah is catching Florida at a "good time" for Utah, but bad time for Florida.

On 12/11/2021 at 5:04 AM, HLB said:

When has there been an "up year" in the P12?  I can't remember when there's been more than one or two decent teams in the P12.

In addition, you praise the Utes for posting nine P5 wins - all of which were P12 opponents, in what you describe as a "down year" in the P12.  Could the Utes have posted nine P5 wins if they had only played 8 P5 conference games and added one OOC opponent from another conference?  Given that they lost to handily to BYU (5-0 against P12 opponents - and the true P12 Champion in my eyes), I'm thinking "probably not".

It was a good year for Utah, who has a very good coach, and plays some exciting football.

But right now, the conference isn't very strong (and hasn't been for a long while).  Enjoy this year's accomplishments, but keep this year's accomplishments in perspective.

Sorry we don’t have a conference with 28 teams, half of whom don’t play each other, which means we’d barely have a conference.  He’s, it’s more difficult to get. More than one or two 10+ win teams when you all play eachother. 

Archived