Athletic Facilities

PAC MAN

Yes and that was my point.  He was recruiting better than Dykes ever did with the worst facilities in the conference and got far better results as well.

Tedford was fired for poor recruiting and for Cal's poor results on the field.

The jury is still out on Dykes. He's only been at Cal for two years. 

So Sparky, you think new facilities, equals wins? So what happens when everyone has new facilities?

We are already seeing improved results on the field for the Pac-12. Most people have agreed that the Pac-12 is the top 1 or 2 best conferences in the Power 5. Most also agree that the Pac-12 is attracting better coaches than it ever has in its history.

The future looks bright as the Pac-12 continues to compete well in the facilities arms race. What happens when everyone has new facilities? I think UCLA will not get over the hump until it builds an on-campus stadium. Also, the Oregon and Washington schools are at a distinct disadvantage with fewer trips to the talent rich LA area. They should be pushing for a 10 game conference schedule.

Then whoever has the oldest new facilities simply has the oldest facilities. Then they start losing. Am I doing this right? 

That happened with CU.  Buffs opened the Dal Ward Center in 1990, won a National Championship and some conference teams then had a slow decline beginning in 2003 to today's Buffs.  Now that the Buffs are spending the money again, it could be the beginning of a new cycle.

I think it's stupid.

EDIT: Even mighty Oklahoma and Texas were behind in facilities at the beginning of the Big 12 and they pumped the money into facilities and they got impressive results.  CU is at the same point in the Pac-12 as those two schools were at the beginning of the Big 12.

I think having decent facilities may be a prerequisite to getting a top coach these days. A good coach is not going to come if the school does not show that it is committed to winning (and commitment means spending money on the program).

Bingo.  Rick Neushiel left Boulder for Seattle due to facilities alone.

http://bsndenver.com/what-you-didnt-know-about-the-new-cu-facilities-part-two/

The national championship winning skiing and cross country teams finally get their own lockers.

Academic facilities has been a sore point for CU athletics for quite sometime and having everything in one place including the training table will make it easier on all CU athletes.

I think having decent facilities may be a prerequisite to getting a top coach these days. A good coach is not going to come if the school does not show that it is committed to winning (and commitment means spending money on the program).

I agree. A good coach isn't going to go to a program without that committment.  In Utah's case, we just got up to par with most of the conference with facilities. Utah coaches constantly heard from recruits that So-and-so program has this, why don't you?  And before the P12,  many times kids wanted to go to a P5 conference over the MWC.

Utah's facilites are nice but I highly doubt a kid looking at P12 teams would chose Utah for just their facilities..It certainly doesn't hurt though..

Once par is established, it comes down to tradition, performance, system and coaching.  

Tedford was fired for poor recruiting and for Cal's poor results on the field.

The jury is still out on Dykes. He's only been at Cal for two years. 

He was fired for poor performance but his recruiting was always solid even in his dying days.  You still can't answer why Tedford recruited better with poor facilities than he or Dykes did with good ones.  Cal has been far worse this decade with the facilities upgrade than they were last decade before the facilities upgrade.

That's why the media is calling it a facilities arms race.

Every school in the P5 is searching for new sources of revenue to keep up. For example, Sun Devil football fans can look forward to a 60% increase this year in ticket prices.

It's always interesting when you decide the media is credible and when it is not.  There's some sort of correlation going on...

We are already seeing improved results on the field for the Pac-12. Most people have agreed that the Pac-12 is the top 1 or 2 best conferences in the Power 5. Most also agree that the Pac-12 is attracting better coaches than it ever has in its history.

The future looks bright as the Pac-12 continues to compete well in the facilities arms race. What happens when everyone has new facilities? I think UCLA will not get over the hump until it builds an on-campus stadium. Also, the Oregon and Washington schools are at a distinct disadvantage with fewer trips to the talent rich LA area. They should be pushing for a 10 game conference schedule.

Very true.  I have pointed out that the Pac-12 appears to be on a higher trajectory than the Big 12 during the same stages being a 12 team conference.  You can expect better than what the Big 12 did which was still very impressive over the years.

I called for a 10 game conference schedule at least a year ago due to the LA issue with the Northwest schools.  I'm sure one more conference game would be better than one more game against a FCS school or even a MWC school.

Surely those Northwest schools saw what happened with the competitive gap between the old Big 12 North and Big 12 South and hopefully are being proactive in this case to prevent the same thing from happening again.  UO, UW, and WSU appears to have done their part so far but I haven't seen much progress from OSU other than a new basketball practice facility.  Utah basketball is already on its way to being a force in the Pac-12 thanks to their coming new basketball practice facility.  Given the history of the Ute basketball program, it'll be a shock to me if Utah doesn't win a MBB conference championship in the coming years.

A lot of P5 schools are still playing catch-up. CU is finally in the picture and competing in the facilities race. Let's see how they do now that there is a more level playing field for them.

Buffs are getting there.  A sophmore & freshman dominated team went 0-9 last season in the Pac-12 along with some heartbreaking losses.  A junior & sophmore dominated team should show better results this coming season and 2016 could be better than that.  CU has pretty much shed the old Big 12 players that were made to compete in a very different conference from the Pac-12.  The only thing missing are the Ws.

Surely those Northwest schools saw what happened with the competitive gap between the old Big 12 North and Big 12 South and hopefully are being proactive in this case to prevent the same thing from happening again.

It's up to the Northwest schools to be proactive in demanding a 10 game conference schedule. It's not going to matter to fans in the South division. We're happy to have greater recruiting access to the LA region.

UCLA will be fine playing at the Rose Bowl, as already stated UCLA is recruiting at an elite level and has many built in advantages that greatly outweighs the benefits of an on-campus stadium.

i want 11 conference games because i really don't give a damn about having it easier or tougher than other conferences, i love a full round robin, there seems something criminal in missing usc and arizona state in order to play south dakota state and wyoming, and we're a fucking conference, not a loosely affiliated group of schools who ocassionally play one another.

i admit i'm in the extreme minority and what i propose would never happen in a million years.

i want 11 conference games because i really don't give a damn about having it easier or tougher than other conferences, i love a full round robin, there seems something criminal in missing usc and arizona state in order to play south dakota state and wyoming, and we're a fucking conference, not a loosely affiliated group of schools who ocassionally play one another.

i admit i'm in the extreme minority and what i propose would never happen in a million years.

It's good to know there's company for a 11 game conference schedule. Each team visits every region every year. Wouldn't it be fun to see which teams visit Pullman, SLC, and Boulder late in the season?

Try as I might, I can't think of any downside to this, other than we'd be the only conference doing it, therefore guaranteeing 6 of our schools have one more loss to a P5 oponent. I am on board with the 11 game round robin idea. 

• PAC MAN changed the title to Athlethic Facilities
  • PAC MAN changed the title to Athletic Facilities