Athletic Facilities

PAC MAN

Yeah something was lost when the Broncos moved to the new Mile High Stadium especially the south stands so that remains to be seen with Hayward Field.

Given the newfound popularity that timber construction has these days in the Pacific Northwest (from what I read online) especially the new U of Idaho basketball arena, I'm sure that will find its way into more Pac-12 facilities at UW, WSU, UO, and OSU.  Perhaps the Beavers will use timber to actually finish the other half of that stadium (feel better Duck fans? :lol: )

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
On 5/23/2018 at 11:56 AM, Scscsc89 said:

I’m just wondering if they left a hollow tunnel buried under the ground or inside the infrastructure — doesn’t seem like a good idea in earthquake country.

From what I've read on the Boring Company website, tunnels are surprisingly resistant to earthquakes, although that may not apply in this case.

The website doesn't live up to its name.

https://www.boringcompany.com/

Tunnels, when designed properly, are known to be one of the safest places to be during an earthquake. From a structural safety standpoint, the tunnel moves uniformly with the ground, in contrast to surface structures.  Additionally, a large amount of earthquake damage is caused by falling debris, which does not apply inside tunnels. Some examples:

• 1994 Northridge Earthquake: no damage to LA Subway tunnels
  • 1989 Loma Prieta (Northern California) Earthquake: no damage to tunnels, which were then used to transport rescue personnel
  • 1985 Mexico City Earthquake: no damage to tunnels, which were then used to transport rescue personnel

20 hours ago, Quack 12 said:

From what I've read on the Boring Company website, tunnels are surprisingly resistant to earthquakes, although that may not apply in this case.

The website doesn't live up to its name.

https://www.boringcompany.com/

Tunnels, when designed properly, are known to be one of the safest places to be during an earthquake. From a structural safety standpoint, the tunnel moves uniformly with the ground, in contrast to surface structures.  Additionally, a large amount of earthquake damage is caused by falling debris, which does not apply inside tunnels. Some examples:

• 1994 Northridge Earthquake: no damage to LA Subway tunnels
  • 1989 Loma Prieta (Northern California) Earthquake: no damage to tunnels, which were then used to transport rescue personnel
  • 1985 Mexico City Earthquake: no damage to tunnels, which were then used to transport rescue personnel

My dad is a civil engineer & my grandfather worked at an underground mine.   This doesn't surprise me when it comes to MODERN tunnels, but ...

• Thanks 1

• PAC MAN changed the title to Athlethic Facilities