Athletic Facilities

PAC MAN

Looks like someone doesn't know how to budget and or lacks accounting skills at CU.

Folsom Field project timeline

December 2013: Project is approved at $142 million

August 2014: Campus gets regent approval for extra $13 million. Project now budgeted at $156 million

September 2015: Campus gets regent approval for extra $4.7 million. Project now budgeted at $160 million

February 2016: Campus gets regent approval for extra $6.3 million. Project now finalized at $166 million.

http://www.dailycamera.com/cu-news/ci_29537395/cu-boulders-stadium-expansion-now-24m-over-budget

CU has raised $83 million for this so far on top of $150 million of bonds sold.  It's the same idea as the new CSU football stadium in Ft. Collins, if the stadium at least breaks even on the stadium expenses which includes the bonds, CSU doesn't have to touch $50 million of money they already collected.  If CU can make the bond payments, that $83M and rising in cash wouldn't have to be touched.

And the CU system has $1.5 billion in endowments.  Before CU joined the PAC, CU didn't have even $500 million worth of endowments.  Money isn't a problem for CU these days.

This was a big project and big projects are prone to cost overruns.  That FasTracks project which has been originally budgeted at $4.7 billion now is around $6 to $7 billion.  Rising costs of materials and salaries (due to skyrocketing rental prices in the Denver area) are some of the factors that causes projects to go over budget.

Arizona has build some new fball facilities since 2013 or so..most are on the north end of the stadium. Arizona Stadium has had some work done but it's still behind where it probably needs to be.

I don't recall seeing an IPF on UA's athletic website. That certainly has to be the top priority right now IMO.

Is Alabama going to practice there?

No, but I guess the cross country team is. So, you know, there could be a champion or two to come out of that facility for CU. They are a very good distance running program, rivaling the ducks actually.

Thanks for the video.

My thoughts:

1. The Dal Ward Center is 92,000 square feet and it appears that 35,000 square feet of that was renovated.  That means with the 212,000 square feet Champions Center and the 108,000 square feet IDF, that's 412,000 square feet of facility space dedicated to all CU sports except basketball and volleyball which has their own practice facility.  I think you cannot say that CU isn't serious about athletics but at the same time, this was a long time in the making especially with Title IX factoring in.

2. The new facilities will be very efficient for CU's student athletes.  I posted an article showing that CU's football players are doing way more voluntary practices than in the past.  I'm still not joking about expecting a better Buffs football team this fall.  It took CU's full football team 15 minutes to make the trek to the old practice fields or the trek back to the DWC.  That has been eliminated.  That means more time to study but it appears that CU's athletes are using the time to hone their crafts.

3. CU has won four national championships as a member of the Pac-12.  Before long, CU will have more national championships than both Washington schools combined. :)

3. CU has won four national championships as a member of the Pac-12.  Before long, CU will have more national championships than both Washington schools combined. :)

<_<  UW has paltry national championship numbers ... if only crew championships were recognized.

• 3 weeks later...

Just checked google street view https://goo.gl/maps/C8SubDGhBsC2& totally remember that strip mall because it had a 2-for-1 Pizza (that was ingenuously both its name & marketing advantage).

The 7-11 was probably there but I don't remember it. My apartment was on the other side of campus

Cooincidentally, it's across the street from the massive 1920s Spanish-style AAA office where my grandfather worked in the 30s before my mom was born.

• PAC MAN changed the title to Athlethic Facilities
  • PAC MAN changed the title to Athletic Facilities