Athletic Facilities

PAC MAN

With football coming to a close, it's a good time to review the Pac-12 facilities across the conference.  Here is what I know:

• CU AD Rick George is updating the CU Board of Regents TODAY about CU's $170 million facilities plan.  From what I have heard, there could be changes to what former AD Mike Bohn put in.  You could read some news on that soon.
  • Utah is planning on building a new basketball practice facility beginning in the spring.  I think the next item is expansion of RES.
  • WSU will finish the football ops building but any other plans beyond that?
  • I don't see any plans for new facilities at UW.
  • I'm sure Cal won't be builidng new facilities for awhile but they do have some nice facilities.
  • Stanford opened a new extension for football ops.
  • Isn't UCLA building a football ops building?  After extending to keep Mora, I'm sure there will be new stuff in Westwood.
  • Any news on the renovation of the Coliseum for USC?
  • Will ASU play their home games somewhere else during the 2014 or 2015 season as they rebuild Sun Devil Stadium?
  • I don't see anything for UA...their facilities must be up to date.
  • Will Oregon expand Autzen?
  • When will OSU finish the other half of Reser?

Well there is something out for CU: http://www.boarddocs.com/co/cu/Board.nsf/files/9E33HB6DDD38/$file/CUAthletics_12_4_uploadfinal%5B2%5D%20-%20revised%20for%20boarddocs.pdf

I'm sure the Boulder floods impacted the planning since the current football fields were flooded during those storms and moving the football practice fields right next to the stadium is something that I always thought needed to be done.

The IPF would go right next to Folsom Field as well.

With football coming to a close, it's a good time to review the Pac-12 facilities across the conference.  Here is what I know:

• CU AD Rick George is updating the CU Board of Regents TODAY about CU's $170 million facilities plan.  From what I have heard, there could be changes to what former AD Mike Bohn put in.  You could read some news on that soon.
  • Utah is planning on building a new basketball practice facility beginning in the spring.  I think the next item is expansion of RES.
  • WSU will finish the football ops building but any other plans beyond that?
  • I don't see any plans for new facilities at UW.
  • I'm sure Cal won't be builidng new facilities for awhile but they do have some nice facilities.
  • Stanford opened a new extension for football ops.
  • Isn't UCLA building a football ops building?  After extending to keep Mora, I'm sure there will be new stuff in Westwood.
  • Any news on the renovation of the Coliseum for USC?
  • Will ASU play their home games somewhere else during the 2014 or 2015 season as they rebuild Sun Devil Stadium?
  • I don't see anything for UA...their facilities must be up to date.
  • Will Oregon expand Autzen?
  • When will OSU finish the other half of Reser?

WSU:

Athletes' dorm, Indoor football practice facility; Baseball Clubhouse and practice complex, Soccer Fields and training complex approved and will soon start construction.  Next phase of Martin Stadium construction will add luxury suites to north side of stadium.

Clubhouse3.jpg

IPF.jpg

Clubhouse1.jpg

SoccerComplex.jpgPicture3.jpg

http://www.buffzone.com/cu-news/ci_24650754/cu-boulder-officials-propose-142m-athletic-facilities-upgrades

New pricetag is $142 million.  Three phases in total.  First phase will be a new floor on the east side of the stadium and will cost about $6 million.  Phase two which includes the IPF, new football ops center, etc will cost like $117 million.  The third phase which will gut the interior of the Dal Ward Center will make up the rest.

From what I have learned, construction will most likely start after the 2014 season.  Four seating sections on the east side will be demolished and rebuilt with seats in the NW and NE corners.

There will be a new team store near the south stands.  This is something that is LONG OVERDUE for CU fans.  I have been to top notch facilities and they have team stores.  Oklahoma's football stadium has a bookstore and team store under one of the sides of the stadium.  Maryland's Comcast Center has a team store as well.

If you watched the video of the press conference back in 2010 that announced CU's move to the Pac-10 at the time, people would have saw how beautiful the Flatirons can be in the background.  One of the new revenue sources will include weddings and events with that view.  No Pac-12 or Big 12 school can say they have that view.

They will tear out about 5-7k seats at Sun Devil Stadium to reduce capacity and drive up ticket prices.  It sounds like ASU will play at SDS next season and I suspect 2015 would be the season that the Sun Devils play at the Diamondbacks' stadium unless the Cardinals let the Sun Devils play at U of Phoenix Stadium.

Saw a photo how SDS's north end could look like next season.  I'd call that an improvement.

Sun-Devil-Stadium.jpg

Already this morning we have received a $1M commitment, $250k commitment and $50,000 commitment to the http://t.co/aEo7VGDdLv

Josh Rebholz -UCLA associate AD of development

Only about 99% more to go, you're almost there!

Seriously, what a titanic waste of money these football only facilities are. Let's spend 100 million on a building that only the smallest fraction of students can use.

And do these facilities really help football players that much or are they mostly used to lure recruits? I'm guessing the latter.

Only about 99% more to go, you're almost there!

Seriously, what a titanic waste of money these football only facilities are. Let's spend 100 million on a building that only the smallest fraction of students can use.

And do these facilities really help football players that much or are they mostly used to lure recruits? I'm guessing the latter.

In terms of return, they're probably one of the better investments a public institution can make. Lecture halls and science labs are nice, but weight rooms pay the bills.

The North side of Autzen was landscaped and spruced up last summer. The work includes these odd "pyramids" featuring images of past Ducks. Some have speculated that maybe they're actually hiding the pilings on which the north addition will stand. Regardless, I don't think they'll expand Autzen until they've paid down the B-Ball arena bond at least somewhat.

KOJXOUTABXYELUC.20130827013848.jpg

In terms of return, they're probably one of the better investments a public institution can make. Lecture halls and science labs are nice, but weight rooms pay the bills.

They only pay the ADs bills.  We could turn education upside down, move the sports to amateur clubs and invest 100% of the public funds into education.

Cal was having a far easier time paying their bills before the fancy weight rooms happened. It was supposed to help our recruiting but apparently winning is worth a lot more and costs far less.

Of course the obvious answer for best return on investment is the chancellor of your university aka lead fundraiser.

There has been talk about CU getting corporate sponsorship for Folsom Field so like Cal, the name of the stadium could change.  Coors put down a lot of money for the Dal Ward Center at Folsom Field and instead of renaming the stadium, they renamed the Events Center to the Coors Events Center and that name is still there.

And that $140+ million renovation of Folsom Field and new facilities were approved by the CU Board of Regents yesterday.  Last year's $170M plan by former AD Mike Bohn never came up to a vote.  Could be all done in time for the 2015 season if not the 2016 season.

Bohn's plan had renovations to the Coors Events Center but it appears like they have been dropped for now.  Here's some plans for Folsom Field:

20131204__05dcaregw_500.jpg

And that $140+ million renovation of Folsom Field and new facilities were approved by the CU Board of Regents yesterday.  Last year's $170M plan by former AD Mike Bohn never came up to a vote.  Could be all done in time for the 2015 season if not the 2016 season.

Bohn's plan had renovations to the Coors Events Center but it appears like they have been dropped for now.  Here's some plans for Folsom Field:

20131204__05dcaregw_500.jpg

I think they have to come up with a whole lot more money to get this done. Good luck, looks like they will be great facilities if they can raise the funds to build them.

• PAC MAN changed the title to Athlethic Facilities
  • PAC MAN changed the title to Athletic Facilities