Athletic Facilities

PAC MAN

With an enrollment of over 40k, I would think there would still be plenty of students around. I get that there are lots of things to do in LA, but the Bruins football fans seem pretty apathetic.

Jalapeno...is that you?

Ucla has a pretty multinational population that draws outside its immediate area. You don't see how that impacts student attendance?

I've been to sun devil stadium, I'd put it far behind Autzen, Husky and the bean dip, in terms of how load the crowd is. Last time I was there, it was dead quit for about all but the first 2 minutes of the game.

Autzen only seats 54K. I don't even consider that Pac-12 worthy.   :mellow:

Autzen only seats 54K. I don't even consider that Pac-12 worthy.   :mellow:

So therefore, you consider half of the Pac-12 to be "not Pac-12 worthy," since there are five smaller stadiums in the league.

BTW, Oregon averaged 57,940 last season (SRO), good enough for fourth in the Pac-12, and just ahead of ASU at 56,835. No wonder they pulled 4,000 seats out of SDS. 

• Like 1

This was quoted on Allbuffs.com and figured the good news should be spread around a bit.

"We are often asked if the move from the Big 12 to the Pac-12 Conference in 2011 has had any significant impact on fundraising and gaining new donors. Some numbers compiled by our Buff Club staff show that the answer to that question is a resounding yes.

In the four years prior to the move, athletics raised $3.16 million from the five other Pac-12 states (Arizona, California, Oregon, Utah, Washington); in the four years since, though the end of March, we have raised $13.3 million. That’s a net gain of 420 percent increase in dollars, with the largest gain from efforts in California: $842,278 raised in CU’s last four years in the Big 12, compared to $8,449,451 since joining the Pac-12 (or a 1,003 percent increase).

In contrast, we’ve only had a 16 percent decline in dollars raised from the six other states that formerly comprised the Big 12 (Iowa, Kansas, Missouri, Nebraska, Oklahoma, Texas), with appearances by our athletic teams in these six states cut by over 90 percent since joining the Pac-12 ($940K raised prior, $780K since). But at home here in Colorado, that has more than be offset, with a 35 percent increase in dollars raised from within the state ($50.4 million, up from $37.5 million)." - Rick George

From a CU Buffs Reddit site.

This gives you an idea of how handcuffed CU was in the Big 8 and Big 12 despite winning a National Championship and contending for at least three more NCs during that time.  Those figures are money that was raised while CU has been at its lowest point during that same time period.  Just imagine what CU can do when football starts winning again.  Just imagine how happy CU's former Big 12 rivals are for not having to face a CU that no longer has the handcuffs it once had.

If you say CU was a monster (albeit a handcuffed one) in the 1990's, just imagine the monster CU can be in the Pac-12.  That's why I say enjoy your wins over CU while you still can.  ;)

If you say CU was a monster (albeit a handcuffed one) in the 1990's, just imagine the monster CU can be in the Pac-12.  That's why I say enjoy your wins over CU while you still can.  ;)

I'm pretty sure every school in the conference is shaking in their boots about playing a team that was 2-10 and 0-9 in conference. You claimed CU will win a PAC 12 title in 2016.

I guess the crack pipe is always hottest on payday..

I'll be afraid of Washington State winning the North, and heading to a New Years bowl game before I get worried about Colorado suddenly becoming a juggernaut again. CU fans are starting to sound more and more like Washington fans. 

Trust me Jalapeno, it's one day going to set in for you just like it did with Washington fans. You're a long ways away from being where/what you used to be in the early 90's, nearly 3 decades ago.

Thanks for the pics Jalapeno.

I'm one person on this board who agrees with you that Colorado will soon be a great competitor in the Pac-12.

I cheer for CU and I like Coach Mac.. I think CU will eventually be more competitive... The laugh I have with Jalapeno's posts about CU are the promises of the "Shit Storm" about to hit the P12 from a team down in the dumps. A team so far behind, it's embarrassing.. Add in the constant 1990 references of the B12 of when CU was dominant for a brief cup of coffee. Crap that has zero relevance to today or the P12.. We are constantly reminded of the storm to come...

Optimistic is one thing, full flown irrational homer is another..

From a CU Buffs Reddit site.

This gives you an idea of how handcuffed CU was in the Big 8 and Big 12 despite winning a National Championship and contending for at least three more NCs during that time.  Those figures are money that was raised while CU has been at its lowest point during that same time period.  Just imagine what CU can do when football starts winning again.  Just imagine how happy CU's former Big 12 rivals are for not having to face a CU that no longer has the handcuffs it once had.

Serious questions, Do you really think Colorado will be a consistant contender in the South? In terms of recruiting, since Colorado does not produce a lot of PAC 12 caliber talent, what is the recruiting strategy for Colorado to sustain a competitive football program?

Serious questions, Do you really think Colorado will be a consistant contender in the South? In terms of recruiting, since Colorado does not produce a lot of PAC 12 caliber talent, what is the recruiting strategy for Colorado to sustain a competitive football program?

As a member of the Pac-12 South Division, Colorado has the benefit of visiting talent rich Southern California every year. That is a huge advantage over schools in the Pac-12 North. Colorado's recruiting strategy will be to focus hard on landing elite talent from Southern California.

Top Ten Reasons to attend Colorado:

10. You will come home every year to play in front of friends and family

9. You will attend an elite AAU research university

8. You will play and train in some of the best and newest athletic facilities in the nation

7. When your family visits you in Boulder, they will enjoy a unique and charming college town experience

6. Jalapeno designs the cool unis

5. Colorado coeds are hot and horny

4. Your family can tune in to the Pac-12 Channel to look for you on "The Drive"

3. If you are a lineman, you won't die of heat stroke while training in the hot sun (I wish we could say this at ASU)

2. It doesn't rain all the damn time (not meant in a derogatory way towards the schools in the Pac-12 North)

1. And the number one reason to attend Colorado: RALPHIE !!!

fbc779f52c69fc0c36779fc857f1b172.jpg

As a member of the Pac-12 South Division, Colorado has the benefit of visiting talent rich Southern California every year. That is a huge advantage over schools in the Pac-12 North. Colorado's recruiting strategy will be to focus hard on landing elite talent from Southern California.

Yet since Mac has been in town, they continually finish behind all or most P12 North teams in recruiting rankings.. They've had 4 years to recruit So. Cal as a P12 member and they aren't making any ground on the field and in the recruiting trenches.

At some point you need to look at reality vs. Boulder Chamber of Commerce press releases.. 

YES.  If CU could win like that in the Big 8/12 with the handcuffs on, the question is how much higher can CU go in the Pac-12 than it did in the Big 12?

CU had the advantage of being able to easily recruit California while in the Big 8 and Big 12 in addition to the Texas kids.  In order for CU to be successful in ANY conference, recruiting both California and Texas is a must.  When CU started to lose under Dan Hawkins, the Texas kids basically looked elsewhere because he was too goofy for them.  Under MacIntyre, the Texas kids are coming back to Boulder and CU also has the advantage of being the closest Pac-12 school to Texas (you can get to the Texas panhandle in about 5-6 hours from Denver).  CU also got a few good Arizona kids in the past as well and now CU plays in California & Arizona every season so that helps on the recruiting front.

You need to take the time and look at Oklahoma's struggles when moving from the Big 8 to the Big 12 South.  Winning in cold weather locations is not quite the same as winning in warmer weather locations.  Just look at Ohio State's struggles against the SEC in the BCS Title games as a good starting point.  It took OU a few years to turn things around and they win it all in 2000.  I'm not saying CU will win it all like Oklahoma did but the transition from cold weather football to warm weather football is a very difficult one to make.  The running game did play a huge role in defining Colorado football and the Buffs are now a pass heavy team like the former Big 12 South teams are.  CU basically is starting scratch but is getting there as evidenced by last season.  CU has had good QBs but CU Buff fans didn't realize that there is a difference between a good Big 8/12 and good Pac-12 QB.  The difference is that you have to be a pretty good passer in the Pac-12.

The money that CU gets as Pac-12 member versus Big 12 member will help as well especially when it comes to donations.  The attrition is gone and CU should finally have an SR/JR heavy two deep in 2016 which isn't something that CU has had in nearly 10 years due to attrition under Hawkins.

As for the Pac-12 South, the only team that has a clear talent advantage over the Buffs would be USC.  Right now, CU's biggest to do item is to start beating UCLA, UA, ASU, and Utah.  There is one last item on the to do list before CU football is back and that is to patch up that leaky rush defense.  If the Buffs do that, the Buffs can contend in the South.  Once that happens, we'll turn our focus onto USC like we did with Nebraska & Oklahoma in the past and will require another full recruiting cycle.  This time around, the handcuffs will not be on CU's hands and the same old negative recruiting tactics that the Big 12 rivals used on CU's facilities will not work anymore.

Just think of it as this way.  The big Buff truck spewed diesel for that extra power & was heavier and then to comply with the Pac-12 way of football, the big Buff truck had to go into the big truck shop for an extreme makeover, lose some pounds, be environment friendly, and more technologically advanced.  That big & new Buff truck is on the entrance ramp back onto the highway of success.  Quite some work had to go into that effort and that work is done and it's time to get some mileage on that new big Buff truck.

It's possible that CU finally gets out of the South basement this season with a JR/SO heavy depth chart this season.  We'll see about that.  CU fans are past being ready to see winning football again in Boulder.

YES. If CU could win like that in the Big 8/12 with the handcuffs on, the question is how much higher can CU go in the Pac-12 than it did in the Big 12?

CU had the advantage of being able to easily recruit California while in the Big 8 and Big 12 in addition to the Texas kids. In order for CU to be successful in ANY conference, recruiting both California and Texas is a must. When CU started to lose under Dan Hawkins, the Texas kids basically looked elsewhere because he was too goofy for them. Under MacIntyre, the Texas kids are coming back to Boulder and CU also has the advantage of being the closest Pac-12 school to Texas (you can get to the Texas panhandle in about 5-6 hours from Denver). CU also got a few good Arizona kids in the past as well and now CU plays in California & Arizona every season so that helps on the recruiting front.

You need to take the time and look at Oklahoma's struggles when moving from the Big 8 to the Big 12 South. Winning in cold weather locations is not quite the same as winning in warmer weather locations. Just look at Ohio State's struggles against the SEC in the BCS Title games as a good starting point. It took OU a few years to turn things around and they win it all in 2000. I'm not saying CU will win it all like Oklahoma did but the transition from cold weather football to warm weather football is a very difficult one to make. The running game did play a huge role in defining Colorado football and the Buffs are now a pass heavy team like the former Big 12 South teams are. CU basically is starting scratch but is getting there as evidenced by last season. CU has had good QBs but CU Buff fans didn't realize that there is a difference between a good Big 8/12 and good Pac-12 QB. The difference is that you have to be a pretty good passer in the Pac-12.

The money that CU gets as Pac-12 member versus Big 12 member will help as well especially when it comes to donations. The attrition is gone and CU should finally have an SR/JR heavy two deep in 2016 which isn't something that CU has had in nearly 10 years due to attrition under Hawkins.

As for the Pac-12 South, the only team that has a clear talent advantage over the Buffs would be USC. Right now, CU's biggest to do item is to start beating UCLA, UA, ASU, and Utah. There is one last item on the to do list before CU football is back and that is to patch up that leaky rush defense. If the Buffs do that, the Buffs can contend in the South. Once that happens, we'll turn our focus onto USC like we did with Nebraska & Oklahoma in the past and will require another full recruiting cycle. This time around, the handcuffs will not be on CU's hands and the same old negative recruiting tactics that the Big 12 rivals used on CU's facilities will not work anymore.

Just think of it as this way. The big Buff truck spewed diesel for that extra power & was heavier and then to comply with the Pac-12 way of football, the big Buff truck had to go into the big truck shop for an extreme makeover, lose some pounds, be environment friendly, and more technologically advanced. That big & new Buff truck is on the entrance ramp back onto the highway of success. Quite some work had to go into that effort and that work is done and it's time to get some mileage on that new big Buff truck.

It's possible that CU finally gets out of the South basement this season with a JR/SO heavy depth chart this season. We'll see about that. CU fans are past being ready to see winning football again in Boulder.

I really do not think that your Big8/12 yesteryear comparison to the PAC 12 now is in any way relevant, the game is different and the times have changed.

Like your Big 8/12 views, your thoughts on USC are behind the times. You do realize that for the past three years USC has been a middle of the road PAC 12 South team, I would argue that UCLA is the most talented team in the South and there is certainly not a huge gap between the LA schools. USC will have their years and will get theirs, but they will not dominate the South and the conference like they did during the Carrol years. Colorado will not out recruit the LA schools for California talent, do you really think a cold weather program like Colorado will have an advantage over the AZ schools in recruiting CA? Utah will be able to be competitive every once in a while because their state consistently produces top D-line talent, a premium in the PAC 12.

Colorado distance from Texas does not give them an advantage over the rest of the South in recruiting TX. A Texas recruit willing to go out of state will have to take a plane where ever they play, the question is would a Texas recruit rather land in a warm weather destination like the AZ and CA schools or a cold weather destination like Colorado?

I think Colorado has a lot to offer but I do not see where they have an advantage (recruiting, academics, donors, facilities, weather) over the rest of the South. I think they will challenge for the South every once in a while but will not be a consistant threat in the division.

• PAC MAN changed the title to Athlethic Facilities
  • PAC MAN changed the title to Athletic Facilities