Peace Out Fools

MrBug708

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Came a lot sooner than I thought it would have.  Now we just play the waiting game to see which schools the B1G elects to save and how many end up at the little kids table of the new power structure (or potentially worse for Oregon St & Wash St). 

Only took like 60 years. Last time this was discussed was after the PCC fell apart. Trading games in the desert, Rockies and PNW for cornfields? Hmm honestly, I don’t like it. I get it’s about money. But I don’t like it.

The only way i can see this working out for USC/UCLA and whoever else joins the Big10, is if there is a Big10 West division which has a significant core of Pac12 teams. That would make the travel mostly reasonable, and retain some of the history/tradition. Otherwise, if only USC and UCLA go, what on earth are they going to do with travel for all of their sports? Ridiculous. Otherwise this is a losing proposition for all Pac12 teams except for the cash infusion for USC/UCLA. 

On 6/30/2022 at 9:09 PM, row Z said:

The only way i can see this working out for USC/UCLA and whoever else joins the Big10, is if there is a Big10 West division which has a significant core of Pac12 teams. That would make the travel mostly reasonable, and retain some of the history/tradition. Otherwise, if only USC and UCLA go, what on earth are they going to do with travel for all of their sports? Ridiculous. Otherwise this is a losing proposition for all Pac12 teams except for the cash infusion for USC/UCLA. 

It was suggested that the B1G could adopt a semi baseball schedule for all sports including football. Where there would be 3-4 games on the road in a row and 3-4 at home in a row. Someone on an 'SC board suggested that USC could build a satellite campus in the middle of the country somewhere that could accommodate athletes during multiple road trips. With the cash flow they would easily be able to afford it. The other issue is that the B1G doesn't sponsor beach volleyball, men's volleyball, and men's & women's water polo which both programs have won national championships in. So I don't know where they would put those sports since I doubt the PAC would want them as affiliate members. The Big West or the WCC? I wonder if those programs would still be successful not being affiliated with the PAC-12. 

Looking forward to twenty years down the line when the 42-team SEC absorbs the 36-team B1G to create a Pangea-sized conference so large that university presidents decide that smaller, regionalized divisions would make things far easier to manage. “Wait, so all the Pacific schools would just play themselves?” the kids will say. “Like in olden times?”

I am just hoping my school has a seat when the dust settles. B1G is at 14, if they were to go to 24 they could take all the AAU Pac schools  + ND. Obviously I would prefer this, as it would include Utah. I am sure others would prefer original Pac 8 schools to stay together.  My first choice would be for the Pac to remain intact as is, but if the LA schools leave, there will certainly be major upheaval,  with the Pac or Big 12 or both being cannibalized and falling apart.

Archived