Peace Out Fools

MrBug708

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 7/11/2022 at 11:38 AM, MrBug708 said:

It's always been a sticking point in the past and why PAC-12 wasn't taking just anyone in expansion.

It's an arbitrary designation from some private group.  It makes no sense.

Either the program has the $ pull, or it doesn't.

On 7/11/2022 at 10:11 AM, Orange said:

Does this "AAU" bullshit mean anything, or is it more moronic @PAC MAN speak?

It definitely has its value even though its basically a status symbol.  Without AAU status unless your name is Notre Dame the B1G won't even take your call if you were to reach out to them about membership.  Its important to the P12 presidents as well though they aren't as devoted to it as the B1G (see Arizona, ASU & Utah) getting in without it.

On 7/11/2022 at 12:52 PM, clpp01 said:

It definitely has its value even though its basically a status symbol.  Without AAU status unless your name is Notre Dame the B1G won't even take your call if you were to reach out to them about membership.  Its important to the P12 presidents as well though they aren't as devoted to it as the B1G (see Arizona, ASU & Utah) getting in without it.

Utah was pretty  lose when they entered the league,  and committed to getting there. Likely was an unwritten promise to the league when they got in.

On 7/11/2022 at 6:27 PM, Mano said:

Utah was pretty  lose when they entered the league,  and committed to getting there. Likely was an unwritten promise to the league when they got in.

Arizona was also close to AAU. They joined the PAC in 1978 and gained AAU in 1985. Although, who's to say that affiliation with the PAC didn't help them and same with Utah. Although there was a lot more behind the scenes that went into the Arizona schools joining and it was almost blocked by Stanford and Washington. I think at the time ASU was the athletic powerhouse but Arizona was rising the ranks within academia and it made sense to add them both, even though at the time ASU I believe was reluctant to join. 

On 7/14/2022 at 11:15 PM, MrBug708 said:

Newsom is BIG mad

I get it. He's as stunned as the rest of us, and UCLA leaving will effect the entire UC system, including Cal's ability to pay off its stadium renovation. It will be really interesting to see how this plays out. Newsom is not afraid of bold action.  

On 7/15/2022 at 9:55 AM, row Z said:

I get it. He's as stunned as the rest of us, and UCLA leaving will effect the entire UC system, including Cal's ability to pay off its stadium renovation. It will be really interesting to see how this plays out. Newsom is not afraid of bold action.  

Cal's stadium issue isn't UCLA's problem. Just like UCLA athletics "owing" UCLA 100 million dollars isnt UCSD's or UC San Marcos problem. He's got bigger issues to figure out, like running for President. The fact that he needs to investigate is what every politician says, when they dont actually plan on doing anything, because if there was an issue, he would already be taking action. The reason he was blindsided was because UCLA didn't want this leaked, which is exactly why you don't tell a politician who doesnt care about it. I suspect this will be the last Newsom cares about the issue. That was a feign outrage after being embarrassed he wasn't in the loop. He was completely flustered.

On 7/15/2022 at 10:01 AM, MrBug708 said:

Cal's stadium issue isn't UCLA's problem. Just like UCLA athletics "owing" UCLA 100 million dollars isnt UCSD's or UC San Marcos problem. He's got bigger issues to figure out, like running for President. The fact that he needs to investigate is what every politician says, when they dont actually plan on doing anything, because if there was an issue, he would already be taking action. The reason he was blindsided was because UCLA didn't want this leaked, which is exactly why you don't tell a politician who doesnt care about it. I suspect this will be the last Newsom cares about the issue. That was a feign outrage after being embarrassed he wasn't in the loop. He was completely flustered.

ok.

This is irrelevant for the rest of the UCs except UCB. Are UCB people in his ear fretting about their athletic debt? So how would leaving both schools in a bigger AD debt problem any sort of solution? UCLA managed to figure out their own debt. Where was the Governor at when UCLA's UA deal fell through?  Is the general public or media holding him accountable for UC athletic endeavors? Seriously -- has anyone thrown UCB's ridiculous stadium situation at his feet?

On 7/15/2022 at 10:14 AM, MrBug708 said:

This is irrelevant for the rest of the UCs except UCB. Are UCB people in his ear fretting about their athletic debt? So how would leaving both schools in a bigger AD debt problem any sort of solution? UCLA managed to figure out their own debt. Where was the Governor at when UCLA's UA deal fell through?  Is the general public or media holding him accountable for UC athletic endeavors? Seriously -- has anyone thrown UCB's ridiculous stadium situation at his feet?

UCLA and USC leaving the Pac and rendering the remaining members homeless and penniless has a real economic impact that trickles down to ALL corners of the economy (particularly in CA).  I don't know why it would surprise you that UCLA abruptly leaving would make people, including Newsom, mad.  He's the governor for christ's sake, and of course he was blindsided.  That was UCLA's intent.

On 7/11/2022 at 7:03 PM, Trojan209 said:

Arizona was also close to AAU. They joined the PAC in 1978 and gained AAU in 1985. Although, who's to say that affiliation with the PAC didn't help them and same with Utah. Although there was a lot more behind the scenes that went into the Arizona schools joining and it was almost blocked by Stanford and Washington. I think at the time ASU was the athletic powerhouse but Arizona was rising the ranks within academia and it made sense to add them both, even though at the time ASU I believe was reluctant to join. 

True both Arizona & Utah joining the Pac helped propel them towards AAU status within a decade of arrival.  This was a key reason why Arizona wanted to join the Pac-8 way back in the 60/70s to the point where they were willing to drag ASU kicking and screaming along with them or even leave them behind if need be.

Does the beatwriter from Oregon know that the Washington State Senator doesnt realize that UCLA isn't leaving the state or the UC System? It's projecting State of Washington policies onto this situation. The UCLA Chancellor has already spoken to the regents. The right people already knew, that's why it wasn't leaked. I like how UCLA athletics was always a campus issue, financially completely separate from the university and not given any kind of support, but NOW that UCLA does something to fix its own finances and they come demanding money. Not sure Cal really wants to see the precedent of revenue sharing. Imagine research grant money being spread out among all of the other UC schools? The Regents were informed before hand. Newsom was in Montana and in general the governor doesn't attend all Regent meetings or sit on committees, etc., he sends a rep. I haven't heard of one Regent coming forward and complaining other than Newsom.

Speaking of AAU...it's basically the elite of the tier 1 research schools.  CU obtained its AAU status after about 20 years in the Big 8 which had four such members at the time in Iowa State, Kansas, Missouri, and yes even Nebraska at that time.  I don't think Oklahoma is that far off but what's hindering them is state funding for higher ed.

Nebraska got dropped from the AAU due to the location of its medical school or something.  Even the Big 8 fans knew that Nebraska being part of the AAU was a joke into itself.  CU's medical school isn't even in Boulder so Orange might be right that it might be an arbitrary body.

On 7/18/2022 at 5:41 PM, PAC MAN said:

Nebraska got dropped from the AAU due to the location of its medical school or something.  Even the Big 8 fans knew that Nebraska being part of the AAU was a joke into itself.  CU's medical school isn't even in Boulder so Orange might be right that it might be an arbitrary body.

You don't need a medical school on your campus to be in AAU.  Lots of AAU schools don't have it.  However, if you're Nebraska, with Nebraska academics, you desperately need a medical school to show you've got something going on in the research side other than seed development.

Archived