Picking Up The Pieces

PAC MAN

On 7/4/2022 at 9:34 AM, clpp01 said:

Dog Do Not Want GIF

I feel your pain after losing Nebraska as a football rival.  At least you can schedule UCLA in basketball.

CU recruited California all those years before joining the Pac-12 so the only way the California pipeline ceases is if that state falls into the Pacific Ocean.  Sure it won't be the same but you will get that Texas exposure.  Dallas-Ft. Worth is set to surpass Chicago as the third largest metro area and Houston isn't far behind the Metroplex.  Tucson is right in the middle of those large population centers.

The reason why I proposed those conferences was the assumption that the media rights money is probably going to remain at the current level with small growth over the duration of the media rights deal.  Why send UA basketball players to Orlando, Morgantown, or Cincinnati when the money isn't going to be that good?

And when it comes to staying in the PAC it isn't looking good:

Not sure if it is correct but CU's Board of Regents has a 5:30 pm-7:00 pm tomorrow evening after those Big 12 meetings earlier in the day.  The meeting description is explained as executive session which is the norm when you discuss conference membership stuff.  There's time to update the meeting to be about "athletic conference membership" just like before CU announced that move to the Pac-10.

On 7/3/2022 at 8:14 AM, EastCoastFan said:

Maybe the B1G just stops if ND turns them down.  is there anybody else out there who really adds value to an already $100 million per-school payout?

No.

The combined value of OUW has been estimated at $60 mil per. That means the rest of the B1G would have to take a pay cut to accommodate them.

That ain't happening.

On 7/3/2022 at 9:56 AM, RogueDuck said:

Since no one has pointed it out yet, I’d like to remind everyone who voted down Texas and Oklahoma joining the Pac 10.  Yep, Utah and CU killed the Pac.  

No, the PAC presidents killed the PAC. Utah and CU were not int the PAC when OUT and their sister Universities decided not to join.

It was the Pac Presidents who rejected ESPNs offer and their desire to take over the PacNetwork. It was the PAC Presidents who listened to the B1G and rejected the 12 team playoff. It was the PAC Presidents who rejected the Baylor/Okie State overtures 

They and they alone bear responsibilty

That's why U$C/Ucla left the fold

On 7/3/2022 at 7:14 AM, EastCoastFan said:

Maybe the B1G just stops if ND turns them down.  is there anybody else out there who really adds value to an already $100 million per-school payout?

Interestingly, I saw a report that said that Stanford has told the BigTen that they’d be willing to take less than a full share in payout.  Crafty bastards 

Decent chance here that the (1) Arizona schools, Colorado and Utah jump to the Big-12, (2) Notre Dame, after NBC juices up their contract, plays footsie with the B1G and doesn't come, (3) the B1G stops at 16, and the northwest schools are left, well, in the northwest, with an uncomfortable decision to make -- add MWC schools to a revised Pac-12, or follow the mountain schools to the Big-12.

• Like 1

On 7/5/2022 at 9:53 AM, EastCoastFan said:

Decent chance here that the (1) Arizona schools, Colorado and Utah jump to the Big-12, (2) Notre Dame, after NBC juices up their contract, plays footsie with the B1G and doesn't come, (3) the B1G stops at 16, and the northwest schools are left, well, in the northwest, with an uncomfortable decision to make -- add MWC schools to a revised Pac-12, or follow the mountain schools to the Big-12.

Very possible -- but I think it's more likely that ND says No & the B1G adds Oregon and Washington to round out a West Coast scheduling pod.  Having the LA schools alone really makes no sense.  

Cal & Stanford are complete wildcards.

On 7/5/2022 at 11:09 AM, Scscsc89 said:

Very possible -- but I think it's more likely that ND says No & the B1G adds Oregon and Washington to round out a West Coast scheduling pod.  Having the LA schools alone really makes no sense.  

If USC and UCLA are stranded as the only west coast schools in the B1G, that is going to be a strange experience. You get the huge payout, but travel is going to be terrible and would eventually effect recruiting i would think. 

My first choice remains joining the B1G, with a minimum of 5 west coast schools in a pod. If the B1G does not invite UW, or is only offering a partial payout, I think some kind of merger with the Big12 would be fun. 

• Like 2

On 7/5/2022 at 2:09 PM, Scscsc89 said:

This is all about money, not geography.  SC and UCLA, by jumping quickly by themselves, have lost their bargaining power to have companions.  The bottom line is the bottom line -- do UDub and the Ducks add at least $100 million each to the B1G's media deal?  If they don't, the share for everybody from Ohio State to Rutgers will go down, a non-starter.  That's why Notre Dame is crucial -- they add a lot more than the projected per-team share, and then you can bring along buddies to even things out.  I'd be real worried if I were in Seattle or Eugene, sitting around and waiting for the phone to ring.

On 7/5/2022 at 12:03 PM, row Z said:

If USC and UCLA are stranded as the only west coast schools in the B1G, that is going to be a strange experience. You get the huge payout, but travel is going to be terrible and would eventually effect recruiting i would think. 

My first choice remains joining the B1G, with a minimum of 5 west coast schools in a pod. If the B1G does not invite UW, or is only offering a partial payout, I think some kind of merger with the Big12 would be fun. 

Recruiting should be on an uptick, even for the "I dont like recruiting" mantra of Chip Kelly. My guess for travel, they'll exclusively charter for sports

On 7/5/2022 at 1:32 PM, EastCoastFan said:

This is all about money, not geography. 

Geography is money too.

On 7/5/2022 at 1:32 PM, EastCoastFan said:

SC and UCLA, by jumping quickly by themselves, have lost their bargaining power to have companions. 

This is a moronic statement even by your standards.

we’ll bookmark this & see which one of us proven correct.

On 7/5/2022 at 1:37 PM, MrBug708 said:

Recruiting should be on an uptick, even for the "I dont like recruiting" mantra of Chip Kelly. My guess for travel, they'll exclusively charter for sports

I'm not convinced it will be a net positive. Would a 5* rather go to USC with cross country travel 4-5 times a year, or Ohio State/Mich/Alabama/LSU etc. with normal travel? Will be harder for parents to come to the games also.

On 7/5/2022 at 1:53 PM, Utefan1211 said:

USC and UCLA thought SLC was cold in the winter. Now let’s add humidity and wind off those lakes in November. Will make for a good time. 

If this move is really about the LA market then USC/UCLA won't play too many away games in November to ensure ratings remain high. When the PAC expanded USC never once played Utah  in SLC in November except during the COVID year. They averaged about 1 "cold weather" away game a year in November with CU/Oregon/WSU/Oregon St/Washington. UCLA had unlucky draws with Utah 3 times in November. But out of 12 of their November games, only 5 were played the 2nd week or later and 1 was the PAC-12 championship game with Oregon in 2011 when it was held on campus. 

Rivalry week will consist of USC/ND in LA in even years as I can't see the B1G letting that game die whether they join the conference or not. Then in odd years, it will be USC/UCLA at the end of the year. If UCLA is smart they would just try to schedule Cal/Stanford for rivalry weeks in even years which may end up what will happen because the other 14 B1G teams will be playing each other. So late-season cold-weather games most likely won't occur that often if at all.