Picking Up The Pieces

PAC MAN

as a lifelong Bay Area resident with tons of relatives that went to Cal & Stanford, maybe I’m wrong, but:

I can see Stanford or Cal joining the BigTen

I can see Stanford or Cal joining the Mountain West

I can even see Stanford or Cal giving up football altogether 

But I can’t see Stanford or Cal joining the Big12

• Like 1

On 7/5/2022 at 3:19 PM, Scscsc89 said:

as a lifelong Bay Area resident with tons of relatives that went to Cal & Stanford, maybe I’m wrong, but:

I can see Stanford or Cal joining the BigTen

I can see Stanford or Cal joining the Mountain West

I can even see Stanford or Cal giving up football altogether 

But I can’t see Stanford or Cal joining the Big12

I would take it a step further and say they would probably go independent in football and drop their Olympic sports in the Big West/MW instead of being completely aligned with them. 

On 7/5/2022 at 2:31 PM, row Z said:

I'm not convinced it will be a net positive. Would a 5* rather go to USC with cross country travel 4-5 times a year, or Ohio State/Mich/Alabama/LSU etc. with normal travel? Will be harder for parents to come to the games also.

They do this all time already. Add in 5*'s likely getting paid decent money, I don't see how this is a struggle for anyone above walkon level. Plus you have one major conference, as of now, on the west coast, if the kids want to play in a big time conference, UCLA and USC are the options as of now.

On 7/5/2022 at 5:28 PM, Scscsc89 said:

This is a moronic statement even by your standards.

There's a certain nastiness that isn't necessary as people state their thoughts.  I'm not sure what will happen to this board based on whether the Pac survives, but there won't be any loss from the absence of posters with the attitude that you express.

• Like 1

On 7/5/2022 at 3:40 PM, Trojan209 said:

If this move is really about the LA market then USC/UCLA won't play too many away games in November to ensure ratings remain high. When the PAC expanded USC never once played Utah  in SLC in November except during the COVID year. They averaged about 1 "cold weather" away game a year in November with CU/Oregon/WSU/Oregon St/Washington. UCLA had unlucky draws with Utah 3 times in November. But out of 12 of their November games, only 5 were played the 2nd week or later and 1 was the PAC-12 championship game with Oregon in 2011 when it was held on campus. 

Rivalry week will consist of USC/ND in LA in even years as I can't see the B1G letting that game die whether they join the conference or not. Then in odd years, it will be USC/UCLA at the end of the year. If UCLA is smart they would just try to schedule Cal/Stanford for rivalry weeks in even years which may end up what will happen because the other 14 B1G teams will be playing each other. So late-season cold-weather games most likely won't occur that often if at all. 

Ucla has been doing just that for several years.

Cal/Stanford has been doing the same for the Stanford/ND tilt.

On 7/5/2022 at 12:03 PM, row Z said:

If USC and UCLA are stranded as the only west coast schools in the B1G, that is going to be a strange experience. You get the huge payout, but travel is going to be terrible and would eventually effect recruiting i would think. 

My first choice remains joining the B1G, with a minimum of 5 west coast schools in a pod. If the B1G does not invite UW, or is only offering a partial payout, I think some kind of merger with the Big12 would be fun. 

New here, but I don't see UCLA doing well in the BIG. They can't half fill the Rose Bowl now, and they will be perennial bottom feeders in football in the BIG. Good luck getting fans to support a loser in California, especially LA where you have two NFL and two NBA teams as well as NHL and MLB both with two clubs nearby. All the travel is going to be hard on their BB program as well. Feel bad for Cronin.

On 7/6/2022 at 12:40 PM, Aztecgolfer said:

New here, but I don't see UCLA doing well in the BIG. They can't half fill the Rose Bowl now, and they will be perennial bottom feeders in football in the BIG. Good luck getting fans to support a loser in California, especially LA where you have two NFL and two NBA teams as well as NHL and MLB both with two clubs nearby. All the travel is going to be hard on their BB program as well. Feel bad for Cronin.

*yawn*

If UCLA had a stadium comparable to the sizes of much of the west coast, they'd be called a rabid fan base. An old article, but shows attendance trends.
https://www.pacifictakes.com/2020/5/27/21272206/pac-12-football-ranking-teams-attendance-5-year-oregon-washington-usc-ucla-colorado-arizona-stanford

Yes, it doesnt fill up, but Mora showed that when you win, it fills up.

Predicting doom and gloom in the future, is silly, since it's up in the air. UCLA not paying anyone has always been it's bugaboo. They will likely have 100 million reasons to start pay Dave Aranda.

I expect a lot of the Olympic sports will eventually transition to a West Coast centric conference, much like they will continue to have with water polo.

• Like 1

On 7/6/2022 at 1:36 PM, MrBug708 said:

*yawn*

If UCLA had a stadium comparable to the sizes of much of the west coast, they'd be called a rabid fan base. An old article, but shows attendance trends.
https://www.pacifictakes.com/2020/5/27/21272206/pac-12-football-ranking-teams-attendance-5-year-oregon-washington-usc-ucla-colorado-arizona-stanford

Yes, it doesnt fill up, but Mora showed that when you win, it fills up.

Predicting doom and gloom in the future, is silly, since it's up in the air. UCLA not paying anyone has always been it's bugaboo. They will likely have 100 million reasons to start pay Dave Aranda.

I expect a lot of the Olympic sports will eventually transition to a West Coast centric conference, much like they will continue to have with water polo.

The big question is if they can win. Going to be much more difficult in the BIG than the PAC.

Operating under the hypothetical assumption the B1G is done for now, the ACC alliance seems like the best in-between option for Oregon-Washington and the rest of the Pac.  Stabilize the Pac-12 and ACC for now, then when conference realignment comes back again, UO and UW will have a better launching point.   The rest of the Pac likely has a better fall back point in an already allied Pac/ACC.  Seems like an eventual merger of what's left would be easier to manage with the 'alliance' already in place.  

A full merger, if UO/UW leave and the ACC gets raided, appears more attractive than joining the Big12 right now.  An eventual merged Coastal Conference could be:

Pacific: Cal, Stanford, ASU, UA, Utah, Colorado, WSU, OSU

Atlantic: Boston College, Pitt, VT, Syracuse, Duke, Louisville, Wake, NC State 

On 7/6/2022 at 1:50 PM, MrBug708 said:

Sure. I'm assuming they win a ton this year based on schedule and having the on of the best QB/RB's in the nation. Past that, who knows, but it should kickstart even Chip's unwillingness to recruit at one of the easiest schools to sell.

We will see. Your comment about parking your non-revenue sports in western conferences I don't see happening. No conference is gong to want a member that can spend twenty times more that any other member on salaries and scholarships.

On 7/6/2022 at 3:40 PM, Aztecgolfer said:

No conference is gong to want a member that can spend twenty times more that any other member on salaries and scholarships.

But you can also charge them twenty times more on conference fees and get better exposure — what conference wouldn’t want that?   There’s a reason they call them “non-revenue” sports.  They hemorrhage money.    Well, we’ve just found a way to relieve each of your athletic departments’ financial burden.

SDSU plays men’s soccer in the Pac-12 even though the other members are (theoretically) better funded.  Somehow, they saw a benefit. 🤷🏻‍♂️

On 7/6/2022 at 3:40 PM, Aztecgolfer said:

We will see. Your comment about parking your non-revenue sports in western conferences I don't see happening. No conference is gong to want a member that can spend twenty times more that any other member on salaries and scholarships.

The MPSF has had a bunch of sports from the 4 California schools since the early 90's without any issues. If it really came down to it they would probably consider sponsoring even more sports to help out USC and UCLA. The MPSF sure does like bragging about all of the national championships that teams win. 

• Like 1