Picking Up The Pieces

PAC MAN

On 7/16/2022 at 7:00 PM, Aztecgolfer said:

I do, it goes back to my mom's Southern roots, something I celebrate. My grandfather was a  big Bama fan, being from Alabama. Funny. SDSU and Bama rate the same in the USN&R ratings.  My brother graduated from UCSB with degrees in English and Literature so I like pissing him off using terms like "y'all" & "irregardless." Oh, I graduated with a science degree and own a company that modifies aircraft if you think I'm sort of brainless yokel. 

It sounds like, if the BIG does take another PAC school it would be Stanford if Notre Dame joins. So, the PAC-9? You good with that?

If Furd leaves am I good with a Pac-9? If that’s the best financial option, sure. If it makes financial sense to add SDSU and get back to 10 teams then I’m also fine with that.

• Like 2

On 7/18/2022 at 3:05 PM, glduck said:

If Furd leaves am I good with a Pac-9? If that’s the best financial option, sure. If it makes financial sense to add SDSU and get back to 10 teams then I’m also fine with that.

If you want to recruit SoCal you're gonna need to have a SoCal school. The Zona schools, Utah, Oregon and Washington all recruit heavily in SoCal.

• Like 1

On 7/18/2022 at 3:30 PM, Aztecgolfer said:

If you want to recruit SoCal you're gonna need to have a SoCal school. The Zona schools, Utah, Oregon and Washington all recruit heavily in SoCal.

Y’all are fixin to build a brand new stadium, so kiss my grits, maybe roundin’ yer fellas up for some Pac-10 action may be kosher.  

whoops, sorry for the Jewish word. 

On 7/18/2022 at 5:48 PM, Orange said:

Y’all are fixin to build a brand new stadium, so kiss my grits, maybe roundin’ yer fellas up for some Pac-10 action may be kosher.  

whoops, sorry for the Jewish word. 

Hebrew. 

On 7/18/2022 at 4:22 PM, glduck said:

I disagree with the premise that SDSU is the bridge to open up recruiting in southern California, but again I’m happy to invite them to the party if they add value to the conference’s new media rights deal.

We would likely enter like Utah did, with reduced payout initially.

On 7/19/2022 at 5:21 PM, row Z said:

Personally, i would extend an offer to SDSU and feel good about it. 

If you guys lose no more than Stanford, reported to be part of the deal for the BIG to add Notre Dame, then we would love the add. We will be a R1 research institution by 2025 and our athletic facilities are among the best in the West Coast.

• Like 1

On 7/19/2022 at 4:47 PM, Aztecgolfer said:

Doesn't it max out at like 30k?  OSU gets enough grief for having a max capacity of about 46k (Reser is currently expanding to 50k), and your stadium is brand new.  SDSU is not the gold mine you make it out to be.

On 7/20/2022 at 12:34 PM, Orange said:

Doesn't it max out at like 30k?  OSU gets enough grief for having a max capacity of about 46k (Reser is currently expanding to 50k), and your stadium is brand new.  SDSU is not the gold mine you make it out to be.

It's listed as 35,000 (expandable up to 55,000); perhaps they should expand it before applying for Pac-membership.

On 7/20/2022 at 2:07 PM, EastCoastFan said:

It's listed as 35,000 (expandable up to 55,000); perhaps they should expand it before applying for Pac-membership.

It would look terrible on tv as they only average 35K fans a game. I'm sure they'll sell out a lot now. Better to wait for the invite and then expand. Maybe even have a promise in place to do so as a stipulation for joining the league. 

On 7/20/2022 at 2:07 PM, EastCoastFan said:

You do realize that money comes from TV, right? UCLA playing in a P5 conference has only averaged a bit more that 40K fans in a 90K stadium. USC, 60K fans in a 100K stadium. Both Stanford and Cal are averaging about 40K as well. You really don't want to show how few fans are in the seats, that creates terrible optics. Oh, the players hate playing in a mostly empty stadium no matter how large it is. UNLV will learn this soon.

SDSU built a stadium using the same model as the San Diego Padres. The Padres would have numerous games in the old "Q" where they would put 60K fans in the seats. However, they opted to build a 42K stadium downtown instead. Why? Less seats creates more demand. Despite being a "small market" club the Padres are #5 in attendance in MLB so far this year. Oh, the Aztec players toured Snapdragon stadium a month or so ago and said the fans "will be right on top of us." It is going to be a great game day, in person experience

We built a stadium that fits our immediate needs (unlike Cal) and one that will be attractive to a MSL club (who will likely assume some ownership value based on MSL desires, which means money to decrease our stadium debt). We have already raised at least $100M in donations and naming rights (sorry Cal, we exceeded our targets unlike you). By the way, for just the naming rights of the stadium, our deal with Snapdragon (Qualcomm) is exceeded only by the University of Washington and USC in collegiate football. Pretty impressive, I have to say.

We have sold something like 80-90% of our premium seating so far. Cal wishes they came close to that. UCLA likely wishes they had an on campus stadium. The Rose Bowl is like a tomb for them.

If we need to expand the stadium then we can later on. Don't see a need for that at all in the near future. Again, the stadium is about making money, but TV is what earns for the football program.

• Like 1

I find it funny that current P12 fans are saying SDSU should expand their stadium after the majority of schools in the PAC have reduced capacity in their stadium through renovations or complete rebuilds.  It seems to me that Utah is the only one that has increased capacity and OSU finally decided to finish the other half of their stadium.

In reality, the conference would invite SDSU with the expectation that they'd expand their seating and that probably wouldn't be announced until after the new media rights deal is announced and annual numbers are known so the Aztecs can budget the stadium expansion around that.  Especially after OSU & WSU went on spending sprees with the idea that the P12N would be printing money for them which didn't materialize and both ADs have ran in the red for awhile.

• Like 1

On 7/20/2022 at 9:10 PM, Aztecgolfer said:

You do realize that money comes from TV, right? UCLA playing in a P5 conference has only averaged a bit more that 40K fans in a 90K stadium. USC, 60K fans in a 100K stadium. Both Stanford and Cal are averaging about 40K as well. You really don't want to show how few fans are in the seats, that creates terrible optics. Oh, the players hate playing in a mostly empty stadium no matter how large it is. UNLV will learn this soon.

SDSU built a stadium using the same model as the San Diego Padres. The Padres would have numerous games in the old "Q" where they would put 60K fans in the seats. However, they opted to build a 42K stadium downtown instead. Why? Less seats creates more demand. Despite being a "small market" club the Padres are #5 in attendance in MLB so far this year. Oh, the Aztec players toured Snapdragon stadium a month or so ago and said the fans "will be right on top of us." It is going to be a great game day, in person experience

We built a stadium that fits our immediate needs (unlike Cal) and one that will be attractive to a MSL club (who will likely assume some ownership value based on MSL desires, which means money to decrease our stadium debt). We have already raised at least $100M in donations and naming rights (sorry Cal, we exceeded our targets unlike you). By the way, for just the naming rights of the stadium, our deal with Snapdragon (Qualcomm) is exceeded only by the University of Washington and USC in collegiate football. Pretty impressive, I have to say.

We have sold something like 80-90% of our premium seating so far. Cal wishes they came close to that. UCLA likely wishes they had an on campus stadium. The Rose Bowl is like a tomb for them.

If we need to expand the stadium then we can later on. Don't see a need for that at all in the near future. Again, the stadium is about making money, but TV is what earns for the football program.

If you're San Diego State and you're citing Padres attendances figures to demonstrate your program's popularity, you've lost the plot.

• Like 1