Picking Up The Pieces

PAC MAN

On 7/28/2022 at 6:07 PM, Aztecgolfer said:

MLS or MSL isn't a word, did you actually go to college? Hell, I work in aviation which means i deal with all kinds of acronyms. I get things transposed all the time and don't fret it. My mind is more math and engineering focused. My brother? Hell, he has degrees in English and Literature from UCSB and it a perfectionist when it comes to writing anything. However, he will review things 4-5 times before submitting it. I don't have time for that.

MLS isn't an acronym. HTH. 

On 8/30/2022 at 11:26 PM, row Z said:

Wonder if Oregon's win over the buckeyes last year played a roll in their vote against expansion. 

I have read multiple places where USC doesn't want Oregon because it cuts out their competition in California recruiting. 

• 3 weeks later...

Strange timing for this interview. And UCLA as the target? Does he not care about USC staying? They have the same costs associated with their leaving the conference. It's almost as if there is a regents meeting on the 22nd.

But where does UCLA make up nearly 70 million dollars annually in revenue from?

A guy who is about to lose job if UCLA leaves the P12, went on the podcast hosted by two guys who will lose their relevance if UCLA leaves the P12 and said that UCLA leaving the P12 is financially a bad idea, but provided no proof, and it was picked up by a news outlet that will be cut out of the LA market if UCLA leaves the P12.

https://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/34631895/pac-12-commissioner-says-expect-more-teams-leaving-big-ten-big-12

"We've done back-of-the-envelope calculations on the negative impact of UCLA expenses -- travel expenses and coaching salaries and other things -- just to get to the average Big Ten athletic budget," Kliavkoff said. "We think that the incremental money they're going to receive from the Big Ten media rights deal will be more than 100% offset by additional expenses. So you end up taking that money that you earn, and it goes to airline and charter companies and coaches and administrators. It doesn't go to supporting the student-athletes."

So 70 million is going to flights? We already fly to every conference game but USC. We have to pay coaches whether we go to the B10 or stay in the P11. I can see why he doesn't release numbers, but holy crap is he in job saving desperate talking point mode. I feel sorry for people like Wilner, who have to rely on trying to spin this bullshit to save their job.

On 8/31/2022 at 12:37 PM, Win5002 said:

I have read multiple places where USC doesn't want Oregon because it cuts out their competition in California recruiting. 

A large portion of talent, from the state of California, is going to schools in the East, not to schools in the West.  Oregon is the least of USC's recruiting concerns.

On 9/20/2022 at 3:17 PM, HLB said:

A large portion of talent, from the state of California, is going to schools in the East, not to schools in the West.  Oregon is the least of USC's recruiting concerns.

Do you just start with "I hate the west coast/Oregon and I want an argument that reflects that; I'll move backward from there"?

Oregon had the no. 3 recruiting class in 2021.  No. 9 in 2020.  No. 7 in 2019.  No. 13 in 2018.

They are absolutely the BANE of USC's existence in CA recruiting.  Period. 

And this is coming from a Beaver fan who is really sick of seeing it.  Just shut up and find an SEC board that won't ban your drooling ass.

• Like 1

Canzano and Wilner interviewed Kliavkoff on episode 8 of their new podcast. Most interesting points: 1) Kliavkoff thinks UCLA will lose money on a move to the B1G due to the increase in travel costs; 2) he doesn't think any other teams are leaving; and 3) he has not given up on UCLA changing their minds and staying in the Pac. 

On 9/22/2022 at 7:16 PM, MrBug708 said:

I like how it becomes paramount to a guy who has never done a damn thing to fight climate change. 

You mean Kliavkoff? Isn't he just pointing out that the UC system has a stated objective of reversing climate change? I think that is fair for him to point out, and a laudable objective for the UC system. 

On 9/23/2022 at 3:10 PM, Orange said:

Can't everybody just play football via zoom?  Would save on fuel.

totally. Just plug in this bad boy at the office of the home team, visiting team can view by zoom, Pac12 official is present to administer the rules. Can we have a deal with Amazon now?  

No. 6 on the Electric Football Game Top 20 Countdown -- the 1967 Sears'  exclusive Tudor NFL No. 613. | Electric football, Football games, Football  board game

On 9/23/2022 at 1:57 PM, row Z said:

You mean Kliavkoff? Isn't he just pointing out that the UC system has a stated objective of reversing climate change? I think that is fair for him to point out, and a laudable objective for the UC system. 

Letting UCLA play in the B10 and shutting down Cal athletics would achieve these goals.