Picking Up The Pieces

PAC MAN

By the way, I have the MLS Season Pass on Apple TV, and can attest that the production, organization, pre-game, post-game, graphics, highlights etc. is all very good quality. Personally, i will be happy if Apple gets a portion of the Pac12 rights. They know what they are doing.  

I heard this idea on the most recent Podcast of Champions from a reader question i think, and can't stop thinking about it. This is probably not a realistic possibility, but still fun to contemplate.

What if the Pac12 and Mountain West merged, and instituted promotion/relegation like in European soccer? Every year, the last place finisher in the Pac12 would go down to the Mountain West, and the first place finisher in the Mountain West would come up to the Pac12 for the following season. Let's call it the Pac West Conference.  Benefits of this arrangement would include: 1) increasing national interest in all Pac12 games, even at the bottom of the standings; 2) increasing interest in all Mountain West games; 3) reasonable travel; 4) easy scheduling for non-Pac12 games; 5) locking down the western region from future poaching efforts; 6) distinguishing football in the west from "brand ball" in the B1G and SEC; and 7) should retain the same status for CFP entrance for the Pac12 winner. 

To be clear, I would offer SDSU now and they would start in the Pac11.

• Like 3

• 1 month later...

This article summarizes significant loose ends and snags with the B1G tv deal, including shrinking revenue and refusal of Michigan, aOSU and Penn State refusing to play night games in November. It also goes on to summarizes the lack of movement on a Pac12 deal. 

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/ncaabk/as-pac-12-media-rights-negotiations-grind-on-big-ten-makes-unsettling-discovery-in-its-new-deal/ar-AA1bxvMN

I thought this passage on the ridiculous influence tv has over college sports was on point: 

So, what should we make of this reporting during the past 24 hours?

Does TV have too much to do with college football?

Does TV drive the game?

Are universities addicted to TV money? 

Yes, this coin-fest appears to be the opiate of this age of modern football.

It’s powerful.

It’s the engine.

TV has the ability to break up conferences, cause expansion and retraction, feed the haves and starve the have-nots, and challenge the pure foundation of academic institutions. This power and money has the ability to make friends turn on one another, break promises and test loyalty.

Literally, TV is in control of NCAA sports.

• Like 1

One other thought for Kliavkoff: if the B1G deal is truly "unfinished," and compensation amounts for schools and are declining or unknown, maybe get on the horn with UCLA and make a pitch for them to back out of an illusory deal with the B1G, offer a larger share of the Pac12 revenue, add SDSU, and lets rock on with a new Pac12 that has two teams in SoCal. 

🤘

On 5/26/2023 at 11:44 AM, row Z said:

One other thought for Kliavkoff: if the B1G deal is truly "unfinished," and compensation amounts for schools and are declining or unknown, maybe get on the horn with UCLA and make a pitch for them to back out of an illusory deal with the B1G, offer a larger share of the Pac12 revenue, add SDSU, and lets rock on with a new Pac12 that has two teams in SoCal. 

🤘

P12 leadership is naïve enough to believe this could be a realistic option.  Realistically watch how quickly the gloves would come off for the B1G if they thought there was any chance that UCLA was wavering in its decision to leave the P12.  They would no longer care about being viewed as a conference killer and invite Oregon/Washington.

On 5/27/2023 at 4:34 PM, Trojan209 said:

They’ll figure out the details and teams will be made whole. They moved the MSU-PSU to Ford Field. I’d expect we’ll see similar type of games to appease everyone. 

Neither MSU nor PSU feel "made whole" nor appeased by the Ford Field Black Friday "solution."  MSU loses a home game.  PSU plays on the road after a short week.  Both teams are faced with an unwanted night game to try to fill the B1G's depleted $ vault.   Neither school is happy.

On 5/27/2023 at 8:59 PM, EastCoastFan said:

Neither MSU nor PSU feel "made whole" nor appeased by the Ford Field Black Friday "solution."  MSU loses a home game.  PSU plays on the road after a short week.  Both teams are faced with an unwanted night game to try to fill the B1G's depleted $ vault.   Neither school is happy.

Would love to know what made Ohio St, Michigan and Penn St believe NBC was breaking the bank to sign on for a prime game every week that didn't involve them in the most crucial month of the football season.

On 5/28/2023 at 12:04 PM, clpp01 said:

Would love to know what made Ohio St, Michigan and Penn St believe NBC was breaking the bank to sign on for a prime game every week that didn't involve them in the most crucial month of the football season.

Misdirection by Kevin Warren.  They erred in expecting it to be the way it always had been, and weren't warned that the "deal" took some of their previous rights away.

On 5/28/2023 at 10:28 AM, EastCoastFan said:

Misdirection by Kevin Warren.  They erred in expecting it to be the way it always had been, and weren't warned that the "deal" took some of their previous rights away.

Common sense should have told otherwise.  NBC was never signing up for weekly contests between Indiana vs Maryland and Minnesota vs UCLA.

On 5/27/2023 at 8:59 PM, EastCoastFan said:

I should have clarified when I said "they," I meant the networks. MSU loses a home game on Thanksgiving weekend when most students are gone but now plays in a city where a lot of their students are from. The main details of the tv deal included Black Friday games last year so schools should have at least been aware of the possibility of a short week. Most of the griping about night games in November have to do with the cold. So at least now it's indoors, where the game will be accessible to students and alums on the holiday weekend. Like most deals for neutral site games the team giving up the home game usually makes a larger percentage of ticket revenue from the game. Not sure how that really works for conference games, but still I'm sure any lost revenue they would have projected to have made would be made up.  

The schools shouldn't really be griping. They wanted this huge lucrative deal and they knew they were gonna have to give up some things in order to get it. I guess adding the LA schools does help this issue, especially if the conference continues to allow USC-ND to keep its Oct/Nov rotating schedule which they'll probably be more agreeable to now to ease up the other B1G November night games. 

• 2 weeks later...

Just stopping by to collect my belongings from this board.  CU is 99.99% gone from this conference and will be confirmed this Friday morning after the public BOR meeting.  Multiple posters across CU forums are now saying that CU is heading to the Big 12 after hearing from credible secondhand sources.

Wilner & Canzano have been reporting on those Comcast overpayments to the P12 and now they are saying it's at least $70M thanks to Larry Scott.  That moron needs to face criminal charges.

And here's this tweet:

On 6/7/2023 at 10:24 AM, PAC MAN said:

Just stopping by to collect my belongings from this board.  CU is 99.99% gone from this conference and will be confirmed this Friday morning after the public BOR meeting.  Multiple posters across CU forums are now saying that CU is heading to the Big 12 after hearing from credible secondhand sources.

Wilner & Canzano have been reporting on those Comcast overpayments to the P12 and now they are saying it's at least $70M thanks to Larry Scott.  That moron needs to face criminal charges.

And here's this tweet:

There appears to be a significant amount of smoke about the Buffs making a move. I will be disappointed if this actually turns out to be the case.  However, I will also say that the Buffs never returned to their former glory in the Pac12 and it did not seem like that was going to happen. Maybe a change of conference and a new coach will get the program back on track. 

On 6/7/2023 at 12:28 PM, row Z said:

There appears to be a significant amount of smoke about the Buffs making a move. I will be disappointed if this actually turns out to be the case.  However, I will also say that the Buffs never returned to their former glory in the Pac12 and it did not seem like that was going to happen. Maybe a change of conference and a new coach will get the program back on track. 

CU fans are on the Coach Prime train for as long as that ride lasts.  I was actually done with CU until the Coach Prime hype could no longer be ignored.  The future of CU MBB is uncertain since the B12 is a step up in competition but we were very competitive in CU's final Big 12 season so there's hope.  WBB just had a good season recently as well.  I'm probably going to enjoy the first two seasons in the B12 along with Oklahoma in the SEC then I might be done with big time sports.

Hope you have your bags packed for the B1G since that might be where you are next year along with UO, Cal, and Stanford.  The Comcast overpayment issue is starting to rear its ugly head and there might be little choice but dissolve the Pac-12 and there are certainly 10 votes for that out of a minimum of nine votes.  That likely means UA, ASU, and Utah to the Big 12 plus OSU & WSU to the MWC.

I'm not going to miss the P12N since CU's third tier games would be on ESPN+ in this case.

This weekend is going to be haywire on college sports forums if things happen as speculated.

On 6/7/2023 at 11:57 AM, PAC MAN said:

CU fans are on the Coach Prime train for as long as that ride lasts.  I was actually done with CU until the Coach Prime hype could no longer be ignored.  The future of CU MBB is uncertain since the B12 is a step up in competition but we were very competitive in CU's final Big 12 season so there's hope.  WBB just had a good season recently as well.  I'm probably going to enjoy the first two seasons in the B12 along with Oklahoma in the SEC then I might be done with big time sports.

Hope you have your bags packed for the B1G since that might be where you are next year along with UO, Cal, and Stanford.  The Comcast overpayment issue is starting to rear its ugly head and there might be little choice but dissolve the Pac-12 and there are certainly 10 votes for that out of a minimum of nine votes.  That likely means UA, ASU, and Utah to the Big 12 plus OSU & WSU to the MWC.

I'm not going to miss the P12N since CU's third tier games would be on ESPN+ in this case.

This weekend is going to be haywire on college sports forums if things happen as speculated.

CU made themselves third-tier; don't blame that shit on the Pac-12.

Also, what is that random twitter account?  Do you still go on twitter?  lol

On 6/7/2023 at 11:57 AM, PAC MAN said:

Oh, and coach prime will suck your program dry and leave it worse off in 3-4 years.