Picking Up The Pieces

PAC MAN

On 8/10/2023 at 2:13 PM, glduck said:

I don’t understand the Pac-4 going to the AAC over merging with the Mountain West. Is the payout so much larger in the AAC that travel costs are negated? The Pac + MW would be considerably stronger than the AAC.

Number one, $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$. MWC media rights deal expire after the 2025-26 season.  AAC's can be reopened right away for more money and already pays more than the MWC.  AAC has that essential ESPN contract and ESPN+ access.

Number two: I thought the PAC would be able to keep its Autonomous 5 designation and could simply have the MWC come to them but it doesn't appear to be the case.

Number three: Stanford & Cal in the MWC?  Hell will freeze over before those two academic snobs join the MWC.

Number four: If colleges are serious about the well being of their student athletes, we wouldn't be having those conference moves.  They will find the travel money somehow.  

I figured it has to be money, I just wasn’t aware that the AAC’s media rights deal is that substantially superior to the MW. I figured even if the AAC provided a bigger payout, it wouldn’t be enough to offset the increased travel requirements. But, if they’re able to renegotiate, ok.

Why does Stanford/Cal balk at the MW’s academics but embraces the AAC’s? Rice?

On 8/10/2023 at 4:13 PM, glduck said:

I don’t understand the Pac-4 going to the AAC over merging with the Mountain West. Is the payout so much larger in the AAC that travel costs are negated? The Pac + MW would be considerably stronger than the AAC.

I'm not sure I understand either.  Perhaps it's that Stanford and Cal prefer to rub elbows with highly rated academic schools like Rice, Tulane, Navy, and SMU.

• Like 1

On 8/10/2023 at 4:10 PM, PAC MAN said:

Number one, $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$. MWC media rights deal expire after the 2025-26 season.  AAC's can be reopened right away for more money and already pays more than the MWC.  AAC has that essential ESPN contract and ESPN+ access.

Number two: I thought the PAC would be able to keep its Autonomous 5 designation and could simply have the MWC come to them but it doesn't appear to be the case.

Number three: Stanford & Cal in the MWC?  Hell will freeze over before those two academic snobs join the MWC.

Number four: If colleges are serious about the well being of their student athletes, we wouldn't be having those conference moves.  They will find the travel money somehow.  

I get the Pac leftovers are in shock over the proceedings. But, a merger with the MW is in everyone's best interest.

Despite the perception the MW is garbage, it has numerous R1 Schools UNLV, CSU, UNM, USU and SUDS. 

Hawaii, UNLV, CSU, and UNM have Med Schools.

The MW is closer to the amateur ideal than the P5's.  Minimal if any NIL. No big money boosters buying up rosters. True Student Athletes. The AFA sponsors many of the odd Olys Stanford does.

Joe Biden Yes GIF by The Democrats

On 8/5/2023 at 10:20 AM, utenation said:

Do we get to order a casket for CU as well? They’ve been dead for 20 years. 

It’s easy to see why CU fans hold no value in the P12. All you did is hold down the bottom of the conference with your hand out for money. 

All that happened with CU’s move to the B12 was they got a fresh start at being stinky. It won’t be long before they have a firm grip of the bottom of the B12 with both hands out. 

IMG_2583.gif

Every Conference needs 2-3 guaranteed W's for the upper half 

• Like 1

On 8/10/2023 at 2:13 PM, glduck said:

AAC value increases with the addition of the Bay Area DMA.

On 8/10/2023 at 4:39 PM, glduck said:

I figured it has to be money, I just wasn’t aware that the AAC’s media rights deal is that substantially superior to the MW. I figured even if the AAC provided a bigger payout, it wouldn’t be enough to offset the increased travel requirements. But, if they’re able to renegotiate, ok.

It's not. We are talking about peanuts in difference.  Right now the MWC gets about $4 million per school in media rights. The AAC get $7 million per school.  Jalapeno makes it sound like the AAC is swimming in money. They aren't and they just lost their 3 biggest media markets and their best brands. Sure, now they can renegotiate but I'm also fairly sure the MWC could renegotiate their contract earlier if they are adding schools.

So if both contracts can be renegotiated, why endure heavy travel costs to the Midwest and East Coast? Anyone decent in math isn't going to move their entire athletic's department that far East for an extra million per year.  Neither option is going to be good money. 

The stupidity is amazing.

I especially blame WSU’s President and the AD.  They were faced with an existential threat and never recognized it.  This would be funny if it wasn’t so tragic:  WSU just, and I mean this week, hired a consultant to make suggestions on the path forward.  All of the President’s in the PAC 12 are nearly criminally negligent in 1) not recognizing and stopping the destruction being wrought by Larry Scott and 2) hiring and following Kliakov and spurning ESPN.

On 8/11/2023 at 1:21 PM, KUGRDON said:

The stupidity is amazing.

I especially blame WSU’s President and the AD.  They were faced with an existential threat and never recognized it.  This would be funny if it wasn’t so tragic:  WSU just, and I mean this week, hired a consultant to make suggestions on the path forward.  All of the President’s in the PAC 12 are nearly criminally negligent in 1) not recognizing and stopping the destruction being wrought by Larry Scott and 2) hiring and following Kliakov and spurning ESPN.

I agree. Utah hung in as long as possible to keep the P12 going but clearly we had a Plan B in the works behind closed doors. GK is taking a lot of heat. I think he's an embarrassment but Presidents need to be accountable.  Like I said above, if we had $30 mill per school on the table and left if because we thought we could get $50 mill, totally moronic.

On 8/11/2023 at 9:00 AM, Spaztecs said:

I get the Pac leftovers are in shock over the proceedings. But, a merger with the MW is in everyone's best interest.

Despite the perception the MW is garbage, it has numerous R1 Schools UNLV, CSU, UNM, USU and SUDS. 

The MW is closer to the amateur ideal than the P5's.  Minimal if any NIL. No big money boosters buying up rosters. True Student Athletes. The AFA sponsors many of the odd Olys Stanford does.

I'm with you on that but the problem is the snobbery of Stanford & Cal.  I feel bad for OSU & WSU but I"m not losing sleep over Stanford & Cal.

On 8/10/2023 at 4:39 PM, glduck said:

That also includes SMU and Tulane.  Possibly South Florida given they just got into the AAU club.

The PAC-4 might invite four AAC schools (must have at least eight teams to have a conference in FBS) and the quick and easy list is SMU, Rice, Tulane, and USF.  Then four more teams from the MWC in 2025.

On 8/11/2023 at 8:00 AM, Spaztecs said:

If by "everyone" you mean SOLELY the current MWC members, because FUCK NO this isn't in Oregon State's best interest.  

On 8/14/2023 at 4:45 PM, Orange said:

If by "everyone" you mean SOLELY the current MWC members, because FUCK NO this isn't in Oregon State's best interest.  

Given where we are, what would you like to see the landing spot for the Beavs?

As for me, I'm down on college football.  Everything's a mess.  Duck volleyball players are going to be shipped to mid-week College Park matches, Husky golfers will be in Piscataway, NJ on Thursdays, UCLA's track squad will be at State College, etc., etc.  All of this has to do with football, with only four or five conference away games a year, all on Saturdays.  Every other sport and every other athlete will pay the price.

• Like 1

On 8/14/2023 at 2:31 PM, EastCoastFan said:

Given where we are, what would you like to see the landing spot for the Beavs?

As for me, I'm down on college football.  Everything's a mess.  Duck volleyball players are going to be shipped to mid-week College Park matches, Husky golfers will be in Piscataway, NJ on Thursdays, UCLA's track squad will be at State College, etc., etc.  All of this has to do with football, with only four or five conference away games a year, all on Saturdays.  Every other sport and every other athlete will pay the price.

I see this splintering into an NFL sponsored minor league.  And all other sports return to pac 12/10 eventually and/or create partnerships for tv rights. 

On 8/14/2023 at 10:36 PM, Orange said:

I see this splintering into an NFL sponsored minor league.  And all other sports return to pac 12/10 eventually and/or create partnerships for tv rights. 

NFL owners investing into college football...aren't the NFL owners too cheap to do that?  I think it would be that ESPN minor league and that Fox minor league.  Maybe NBC and CBS will step in as well.  Apple could do the west coast in that case.

If all sports were to return to the PAC, I think it's doubtful that CU returns to the PAC except for women's lacrosse unless they decide to stay in the AAC, Big East, or Big Ten for that sport.