Oregon Ducks tight end Spencer Webb killed in diving accident

Mano

https://www.sacbee.com/news/article263456093.html?taid=62cfa4edbebb4a00014850fa&utm_campaign=trueanthem&utm_medium=social&utm_source=twitter

Webb died on Wednesday afternoon, hitting his head during a cliff-diving accident just west of Triangle Lake in Lane County, less than 50 miles from Eugene, where the university is located.

Read more at: https://www.sacbee.com/news/article263456093.html#storylink=cpy

Condolences to all the Oregon friends, fans and family. Tragic loss.

200k people die every day but we pretend this one is more important for reasons. Condolences to his loved ones, it's a shame, and very sad, but if he hadn't been the #1 ranked TE in Cali 4  years ago nobody would care. 

On 7/14/2022 at 11:59 PM, dtd said:

200k people die every day but we pretend this one is more important for reasons. Condolences to his loved ones, it's a shame, and very sad, but if he hadn't been the #1 ranked TE in Cali 4  years ago nobody would care. 

If I hear about a 22-year-old who died in a cliff-diving accident, no matter who it is, I care.  And I'd bet that many other posters on this board also woulkd care, regardless if the young man had been a highly rated football player,.  The difference is that when it's a P5 football player, the news is broadcast widely.  But if an accident like this occurs locally with a less known victim, and is only known locally, whether in Georgia or Maine or Idaho or New Jersey, it is not true that nobody would care.

On 7/16/2022 at 11:23 AM, EastCoastFan said:

If I hear about a 22-year-old who died in a cliff-diving accident, no matter who it is, I care.  And I'd bet that many other posters on this board also woulkd care, regardless if the young man had been a highly rated football player,.  The difference is that when it's a P5 football player, the news is broadcast widely.  But if an accident like this occurs locally with a less known victim, and is only known locally, whether in Georgia or Maine or Idaho or New Jersey, it is not true that nobody would care.

Exactly. You only care about the people you hear about.

On 7/14/2022 at 8:59 PM, dtd said:

Normally I like your posts but this one was a swing and a miss, bro.  

On 7/18/2022 at 5:42 PM, Orange said:

Normally I like your posts but this one was a swing and a miss, bro.  

Our priorities are wrong. Off the top of your head, name a single person killed in the last mass shooting in this country. You can't. Wait, name the last mass shooting! This here is only a thing because football. He's getting a memorial that will be watched by thousands on youtube, and a helmet sticker, he'll be mentioned all year long during broadcasts. Some single parent just died of cancer. Where's her fucking helmet sticker? I said it was sad, I expressed my condolences to, you know, his actual loved ones. He didn't get killed sitting at his desk in Texas learning fractions, he didn't get rear-ended by Henry Ruggs, he was fucking CLIFF DIVING, and the only reason anyone here pretends to care is because sportsball. Y'all fake as hell. 

On 7/18/2022 at 9:38 PM, dtd said:

Our priorities are wrong. Off the top of your head, name a single person killed in the last mass shooting in this country. You can't. Wait, name the last mass shooting! This here is only a thing because football. He's getting a memorial that will be watched by thousands on youtube, and a helmet sticker, he'll be mentioned all year long during broadcasts. Some single parent just died of cancer. Where's her fucking helmet sticker? I said it was sad, I expressed my condolences to, you know, his actual loved ones. He didn't get killed sitting at his desk in Texas learning fractions, he didn't get rear-ended by Henry Ruggs, he was fucking CLIFF DIVING, and the only reason anyone here pretends to care is because sportsball. Y'all fake as hell. 

Ok, except the problem with that is as soon as you mention a kid in Uvalde being killed, I'll reply with "what about kids in Ethiopia dying in a civil war!" or "what about kids dying in Ukraine?" or "what about genocide in China?" and on and on until it's actually illegal to mention and remember a single person dying unless you mention all 200k people who die in a day.  It's the "whataboutism" fallacy.   Read up on it.

He was a college football player dying FAR younger than most people, and this is a CFB forum.  It's totally legit to make a thread about it.  You sound a little unhinged.

(If you want to bring this fire to the politics subforum and help me shut down all the right-wing shitheads who have no empathy, I'm all for it.)

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/19/2022 at 10:00 AM, Orange said:

Ok, except the problem with that is as soon as you mention a kid in Uvalde being killed, I'll reply with "what about kids in Ethiopia dying in a civil war!" or "what about kids dying in Ukraine?" or "what about genocide in China?" and on and on until it's actually illegal to mention and remember a single person dying unless you mention all 200k people who die in a day.  It's the "whataboutism" fallacy.   Read up on it.

He was a college football player dying FAR younger than most people, and this is a CFB forum.  It's totally legit to make a thread about it.  You sound a little unhinged.

(If you want to bring this fire to the politics subforum and help me shut down all the right-wing shitheads who have no empathy, I'm all for it.)

No, that's exactly my point. And this isn't how most apply whataboutism. This isn't a logical fallacy. People are fucking fake, pouring out their condolences to make themselves feel like they've done something. "thoughts and prayers", fuck off(not you, you're awesome). I don't understand why I'm misunderstood here. Yes, it's a CFB forum, which is my point. Nobody would care otherwise because there's no single mothers with lymphoma board. When did keeping it real become anathema? He came from a relatively well to do white family in america, and was a big strong athlete, and that's why people care. That's fucked up, we should care about the people who are the exact opposite. 

On 7/30/2022 at 11:08 PM, dtd said:

No, that's exactly my point. And this isn't how most apply whataboutism. This isn't a logical fallacy. People are fucking fake, pouring out their condolences to make themselves feel like they've done something. "thoughts and prayers", fuck off(not you, you're awesome). I don't understand why I'm misunderstood here. Yes, it's a CFB forum, which is my point. Nobody would care otherwise because there's no single mothers with lymphoma board. When did keeping it real become anathema? He came from a relatively well to do white family in america, and was a big strong athlete, and that's why people care. That's fucked up, we should care about the people who are the exact opposite. 

He grew up an orphan, as I understand it.  Pretty rough childhood.  It's sad, let us be sad.

Archived