I’m Embarrassed of Our Team

Pac12Fan

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 9/19/2022 at 10:19 AM, Scscsc89 said:

Doesn’t every team do this?     We have Cal, Stanford and Sfgiants tickets at Costco here in the Bay Area.

No. Not for Jazz, Utes, Cougars. We only see these for movies, Universal Studios and local amusement park. 

On 9/19/2022 at 1:27 PM, Mano said:

Aikman's comment is "we couldn’t fill the Rose Bowl in 1988 when we were the #1 team in the country. "

So, it is more than just the product on the field right now.

That's fine. He wants a 30k stadium too, which is stupid. How many fans came in 1988 to games? Ucla is a couple of years from having led the conference in attendance. The fans aren't coming because the product sucks. I've been at UCLA games with 80,000 UCLA fans. Selling out the Rose Bowl is tough, but 30k is stupid. He's just covering for Chip as that's his hire he pushed.

On 9/18/2022 at 5:01 PM, Utefan1211 said:

Can you imagine being Orange’s child, husband or wife? They’ve probably all left his miserable world. 

I would dare say many of us like his posts more than Orange person. He has absolutely no value or worth in his posts. Pac 12 guy posts actually have substance and passion about his team.  

If the Orange prick was not on this page, there would me a lot more posters. 

Go yell at your cats Orange freak. 

Orange is often misunderstood I think.  Sure, he’s brash and can make a sailor blush with his foul mouth but there’s good material in his posts if you read correctly.  I’ve always liked him. 

But to each their own. 

On 9/19/2022 at 5:29 PM, MrBug708 said:

That's fine. He wants a 30k stadium too, which is stupid. How many fans came in 1988 to games? Ucla is a couple of years from having led the conference in attendance. The fans aren't coming because the product sucks. I've been at UCLA games with 80,000 UCLA fans. Selling out the Rose Bowl is tough, but 30k is stupid. He's just covering for Chip as that's his hire he pushed.

30k is too small for a Pac/B1G school in LA, however a modern 50-60k capacity stadium on/close to campus with luxury boxes and suites would be better than what I am seeing at the Rose Bowl. I keep hearing weekly excuses that it is too hot, team sucks, late school start, etc, but the fact of the matter is that the attendance issues have been an ongoing thing. UCLA may not have played great last week, but they are undefeated, and were undefeated going into the game. Fans clearly are not willing to drive out to Pasadena unless everything is perfect ( great weather, great opponent, team doing well and nothing else going on ). Having a venue on/close to campus would likely help.

On 9/20/2022 at 8:09 AM, Mano said:

30k is too small for a Pac/B1G school in LA, however a modern 50-60k capacity stadium on/close to campus with luxury boxes and suites would be better than what I am seeing at the Rose Bowl. I keep hearing weekly excuses that it is too hot, team sucks, late school start, etc, but the fact of the matter is that the attendance issues have been an ongoing thing. UCLA may not have played great last week, but they are undefeated, and were undefeated going into the game. Fans clearly are not willing to drive out to Pasadena unless everything is perfect ( great weather, great opponent, team doing well and nothing else going on ). Having a venue on/close to campus would likely help.

While football and basketball isn't quite the same (4:30 start times on Thursdays) with more games, there are times where we only put 5,000 at Pauley for some of the basketball teams. When the team is rolling, location of the team doesn't really matter. I think if we played in a 50,000 stadium in Pasadena, we probably don't have the rep as a poor fan base either. When the stadium holds 80,000+, there are a lot of empty seats when the announced attendance is 30,000. The stadium as rocking last year for LSU and we still had a ton of fans for Fresno State last year and this was coming off a bad season.

On 9/19/2022 at 7:00 PM, utenation said:

Orange is often misunderstood I think.  Sure, he’s brash and can make a sailor blush with his foul mouth but there’s good material in his posts if you read correctly.  I’ve always liked him. 

But to each their own. 

The fuck are you talking about, shitburger??

On 9/19/2022 at 3:36 PM, HLB said:

It's just symbolic of the fact that people in L.A. could care less about college football and seem to prefer other forms of entertainment.

I hope that the jump to the B1G re-ignites the fan base.

It absolutely won't.

On 9/20/2022 at 8:09 AM, Mano said:

Frankly, I don't blame them.  Part of the joy of college at OSU was walking from our house to the games.  Same thing when I transferred to UO.  I can hate the ducks AND still love that walk across the river before and after games.

I think I've said in the past that it would be far better for UCLA to have a campus stadium where you don't need a telescope to view the field.  Right now, it just seems like they're counting on casual suburbanites to fill the stadium.  That hardly makes for a good CFB fan atmosphere.  Put it on campus, like you said, with 50k capacity, and it's an entirely different atmosphere.

Teams that formerly had off-campus stadiums are moving to find ways to put them on campus.

UCLA's recent opponent South Alabama used to play in a stadium 9 miles from campus. Their new stadium opened in 2020. 

Although Snapdragon Stadium sits on the old site of Qualcomm, the university was smart to include future university growth with the Mission Valley site. 

Colorado State played in a stadium 4 miles from campus and just opened a new on-campus stadium in 2017. 

Tulane played 10 minutes away in the Superdome for 40 years. They built an on-campus stadium in 2014. 

FAU played 16 miles away in a stadium mostly used for soccer. They opened their on-campus stadium in 2011. 

Akron played 6 miles off-campus in the Rubber Bowl for 68 years, before moving to on-campus in 2009.

UCF played 16 miles away in the Camping World Stadium until they opened the Bounce House in 2007. 

Archived