WEEK FIVE PREDICTIONS - Conference Play

HLB

Some interesting matchups in Week Five, as teams are beginning to become more identifiable, and the Top-to-Bottom hierarchy is taking shape.  Projected winners are listed in bold.

Washington @ UCLA - Biggest test of the year for the Huskies, and they will easily pass.  (42-30)

Oregon State @ Utah - PAC12 Game of the Week (imo).  In the end, the Utes will overcome a valiant effort from the Beavers. (23-20)

Stanford @ Oregon - Look for the Ducks, and Bo Nix, to stand tall among the trees.  (41-23)

Colorado @ Arizona - The Wildcats will officially hand over the baton as the worst team in the PAC12, when they take down the Buffalos.  (34-17)

California @ Washington State - Wazzu bounces back from a tough loss and won't let this win get away.  (44-27)

AZ State @ USC - USC didn't play to Lincoln Riley's expectations last weekend, and you can be sure that the Trojans will encounter a week of practice that will be more spirited and physical.  This isn't good for the Sun Devils.  (62-20)

Enjoy the games!

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

HLB quoted:

Oregon State @ Utah - PAC12 Game of the Week (imo).  In the end, the Utes will overcome a valiant effort from the Beavers. (23-20)

It will be loud. The standing only tickets are sold out and the secondary market is strong. If we could add 5,000 temporary seats, they would sell them. Noon Mountain is early.  All the little league soccer and football parents will show up late. 

I am surprised Vegas line is 11 points. I thought it would be closer. I believe it will be close through 3 quarters but Utah will pull it out and win by 14. 

UCLA beats UW. This sets up a huge game in Pasadena the next week. Utah fans will purchase 10k tickets to this game. 

Oregon over Stanford 

Arizona beats Colorado in front of 8,000 fans. 

WSU beats CAL

USC spanks ASU. 

On 9/25/2022 at 6:14 PM, Utefan1211 said:

HLB quoted:

Oregon State @ Utah - PAC12 Game of the Week (imo).  In the end, the Utes will overcome a valiant effort from the Beavers. (23-20)

It will be loud. The standing only tickets are sold out and the secondary market is strong. If we could add 5,000 temporary seats, they would sell them. Noon Mountain is early.  All the little league soccer and football parents will show up late. 

I am surprised Vegas line is 11 points. I thought it would be closer. I believe it will be close through 3 quarters but Utah will pull it out and win by 14. 

UCLA beats UW. This sets up a huge game in Pasadena the next week. Utah fans will purchase 10k tickets to this game. 

Oregon over Stanford 

Arizona beats Colorado in front of 8,000 fans. 

WSU beats CAL

USC spanks ASU. 

I don't see UCLA beating UW.  Washington is a much better team.

On 9/29/2022 at 12:50 PM, Orange said:

And you have extensive knowledge of the UW Cougars', I mean Huskies, greatness, right?

HLB has been getting names and number of conference members wrong for a few years. All he knows is what's in a box score or an ESPN article. And he just got burned on the SEC having tickets at Costco. 

Him coming over here to claim he's a top shelf college football insider and a renowned CFB author of many publications and books was his big mistake.  He's been trying to cover up his mistakes since day 1.

On 9/29/2022 at 12:16 PM, utenation said:

HLB has been getting names and number of conference members wrong for a few years. All he knows is what's in a box score or an ESPN article. And he just got burned on the SEC having tickets at Costco. 

Him coming over here to claim he's a top shelf college football insider and a renowned CFB author of many publications and books was his big mistake.  He's been trying to cover up his mistakes since day 1.

I think he's just a sad, lonely old man barely making ends meet in a dixieland shack (or trailer).

On 9/29/2022 at 12:19 PM, glduck said:

Me, nice and calm heading into Saturday night against a pathetic Stanford team because there certainly isn’t a 20-year history of wild upsets in this series:

Scared 30 Rock GIF by HULU

They have a legitimately good passing game. Oregon has the worst pass defense in the conference. Shout out to Arizona. 

On 9/29/2022 at 9:57 PM, MrBug708 said:

UCLA is bad at pass defense as well. We like 10 yard cushions with not turning back to watch the ball

UCLA is 25th in QBR D, Oregon is 116th. Down the line it's like that. 

YPA 18/109

Comp % 65/129

Total 53/125

Overall YPP 14/108

3rd down: 62/128

RZ score % 102/117

RZ TD % 63/130

TFL 52/83

Sacks 24/80

Total D 20/79

And the rankings don't really tell the story. The difference between Oregon and UCLA on most of those is the same as UCLA and if there were 50 more teams ranked ahead of the Bruins. 

The only reason the total D isn't worse is because the offense has done a decent job controlling the clock. Imagine how bad the D would be if the Ducks didn't have a good offense. 

Oregon's D is Don Pellum garbo. 

Archived