UW @ Oregon

row Z

I am hoping the huskies can make it competitive, at least for a while. Would be fun to see a QB duel. The -13.5 points seems low to me. Oregon looks like a steamroller on offense. 

At the very least, I can't imagine that DeBoer will punt on 4th and 10 down 8 with 1:59 left like Jimmy Lake did last year ... causing a weird mix of confusion and disgust for husky fans. 

sad husky.jpg

On 11/8/2022 at 12:03 AM, dtd said:

the doom and gloom in Seattle is sandbagging. 

I agree. They can put UCLA-esque drives together against Oregon, and the weather - probably the only thing that can slow down their passing game -  doesn't look too bad.

I don't think they can slow down the Ducks' running game though, so if Bo is Bo, Oregon should pull it out.

I’m torn. We weren’t stopping UW, so giving them the ball there or punting and having them make up the yardage in 3-4 plays?? I don’t mind going for it, but if Nix was ready to go in I don’t know why Lanning didn’t call the TO and put the country’s best QB sneak threat in. Even if you ultimately hand off, at least UW has to respect it. Everyone knew the call with Thompson in there.

Congrats Board Husky fans. Penix is that guy.

Well, hope Nix’s ankle is ok, try to beat Utah and OSU, find yourself in Vegas and the Rose is still in play.

What a game. Six lead changes in the second half, I believe. Two very high level quarterback performances. Two very different, but highly effective offenses. I could not have asked for more from UW in this game. The players laid it all out there, and the coaches delivered as well. DeBoer's post-game comments were pretty calm ... he planned for this, and was not shocked they won. 

I feel like the ball finally bounced the dawgs' way in this game. If we get a few more close games like this, it might start to live up to the hype around the rivalry. I will be savoring this one in any event. It is probably the best win against Oregon, one of the best QB performances from a husky, and up there with the best husky road wins (i put it behind the win at Nebraska in 1991). These games just don't come around that often. 

One of my Husky friends mentioned the "Whammy in Miami," so he was clearly stoked.

As I read somewhere. I think Lanning got hung up on Washington's first drive, and believed his defense couldn't slow down Penix, which was obviously true. Still, I'm not convinced that the onsides kick attempt or the late 4th and 1 were prudent decisions. Also regarding Lanning, Washington was smart getting another play run after that disputed catch (2nd quarter?). I think the Ducks should have called a time out and let replay have a look at it. I thought it looked incomplete.

Regardless, it was a fun but frustrating game to watch. Congratulations to UW!

Yes, the Whammy in Miami was also one UW's top road wins, and very comparable to this game: UW snapped Miami's home win streak (58 games), Miami was ranked #6 and UW #17, and UW had something of a rivalry with Miami based on split national title in '91. Let's call it a tie for 2d best road win, IMO. 

Very glad there was no video review of the McMillan catch. Could have gone either way, although i don't believe the ball ever touched the ground.

Any word on Nix's injury? What happened there, by the way? Helmet to knee? 

Just saw this on reddit, and i think it sums up the UW mood: 

"An upset on the road against a top-10 Oregon team with their playoff hopes on the line snapping their home winning streak preventing them from breaking their all-time home win streak record? COOK THIS SHIT IN A SPOON AND INJECT IT INTO MY EYEBALLS."

Found another road win that might be ahead of this one: 2002 Apple Cup, unranked UW beats No. 3 Cougs in Pullman in triple overtime. That game was a full on circus, complete with Coug fans bombing the field with bottles after the game. 😂

Archived