Tiebreaker Scenarios

MrBug708

Because we went away from divisions, it of course dicks UCLA over more than it should. But they only have themselves to blame for yesterday. But here we go.

It would be Oregon vs. Utah if the following happens: Oregon wins out, UCLA wins out, Washington wins out, Utah loses to Oregon and beats Colorado.

That would result in four way tie between UCLA, USC, Washington and Utah. UCLA and Washington would get knocked out first having lost to Arizona and Arizona State as common opponents among all 4 teams involved in the tie, respectively.

Now with two teams left, USC and Utah, Utah would win the head-to-head against USC.

Now if WSU beats Washington, we have a three way tie with UCLA, USC and Utah. Between these three teams were looking at the traditional Pac-12 South as common opponents. Now, I'm not sure if common opponent includes the teams within the tie or all the teams outside of it (ASU, Arizona and Colorado). If it's all the team's not within the tie then UCLA will be the first out having lost to Arizona. If the tie includes the win percentage against the teams within the tie then USC would be eliminated first having lost to UCLA and Utah. We would then move to a head-to-head decision and UCLA would advance having beaten Utah.

TL;DR - UCLA only goes if Oregon and UCLA win out, UW loses a game. I think UW is screwed ether way.

On 11/13/2022 at 12:06 PM, utenation said:

And just how has UCLA been dicked over this year?  They played a cupcake OOC, they play 8 home games overall, only 4 road conference games against CU, ASU, Oregon  and Cal.  Give me a fucking break. 

TIL that someone believes OOC plays into conference standings. 

On 11/13/2022 at 2:16 PM, MrBug708 said:

TIL that someone believes OOC plays into conference standings. 

I addressed conference play as well. Again, tell me how UCLA is getting dicked over this year other than you being a little whiny bitch?

Btw, how big are those blue tarps they put in your stands to cover up apathy?  They must cover 1/2 of that stadium. 

On 11/13/2022 at 2:02 PM, utenation said:

I addressed conference play as well. Again, tell me how UCLA is getting dicked over this year other than you being a little whiny bitch?

Clearly did not understand since you brought it up in a conference tiebreaker scenario thread. Like you were going to throw down like an ace of spades card haha 

On 11/13/2022 at 3:12 PM, MrBug708 said:

Clearly did not understand since you brought it up in a conference tiebreaker scenario thread. Like you were going to throw down like an ace of spades card haha 

So UCLA isn’t getting dicked over this year? I’m confused now. 

On 11/13/2022 at 9:20 AM, MrBug708 said:

Now if WSU beats Washington, we have a three way tie with UCLA, USC and Utah. Between these three teams were looking at the traditional Pac-12 South as common opponents. Now, I'm not sure if common opponent includes the teams within the tie or all the teams outside of it (ASU, Arizona and Colorado). If it's all the team's not within the tie then UCLA will be the first out having lost to Arizona. If the tie includes the win percentage against the teams within the tie then USC would be eliminated first having lost to UCLA and Utah. We would then move to a head-to-head decision and UCLA would advance having beaten Utah.

If it is a three way tie among those three then simple head to head will suffice since all 3 played, and UCLA would get the nod for beating Utah & USC.

On 11/13/2022 at 2:36 PM, win2bfree said:

If it is a three way tie among those three then simple head to head will suffice since all 3 played, and UCLA would get the nod for beating Utah & USC.

Threeway tie between UCLA, USC, and Utah, UCLA gets the nod, correct. UW being the team to beat Oregon, throws a wrench in things. UW losing to ASU, UCLA losing to Arizona certainly made it harder for those two teams, which is their own fault. The head to head tiebreak in the conference only applies if all tied teams have played each other. Since Utah and USC never played Udub, the tiebreak doesn’t count. In case you’re wondering, yea, that carve out is unique to the Pac12. Other conferences simply use overall head to head record. So if you play 2 teams and another plays 3, lucky you.

If you had divisons this year, you get a completely different set of scenarios for who plays in the title game.

On 11/13/2022 at 9:20 AM, MrBug708 said:

I think UW is screwed ether way.

"Easiest" path for UW would be a USC vs UW title game.

1. UW wins out (7-2)

2. USC (8-1) beats UCLA, clinches bid and eliminates UCLA (3 losses with 1 game left).

3. Oregon (7-2) beats Utah and loses to OSU

4. Utah loses to UO and Colorado eliminating Utah (6-3)

UW would go over UO because of last night.

Probably not going to happen.

On 11/14/2022 at 6:11 PM, HLB said:

There won't be a tiebreaker.

USC will thump UCLA while Oregon will defeat Utah.

That leaves USC v. Oregon for the PAC12 Championship.

After losing to ND, USC will beat Oregon in the PAC12 Championship, but miss the CFP.

"uSc wIlL rUn tHe tAblE iN tHe CoNfEreNce aNd wiN eVerY gAme bY doUblE diGitS"

@HLB in September.

Just shut up.

Archived