Utah at USC

DCtheUteFan

• Replies 161
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Had this as a loss before, but with all the turmoil at USC right now, I think the Utes could win.

If Utah goes into LA and beats USC this week then the division race would essentially be over, if it isn't already. Would basically give them a 3 game lead over ASU and a 4 game lead over USC w/ tiebreakers and due to injuries I don't see either Arizona or UCLA being able to win out.

Even if Utah loses this week, which I think they might since I can't remember the last time SC lost three in a row, the Utes would still be comfortably ahead of the Trojans due to remaining schedules. All the Utes have to worry about are Zona and UCLA. While USC still has Zona, UCLA, Cal, and Oregon to contend with.

The Utes have done a great job handling their run of success and the building expectations that go along with it. They've successfully vanquished the Sun Devil voodoo, even when things looked in doubt heading into the 4th. Because that's what championship teams do. And whether they go on to become the South division champions, Pac-12 champions, Rose Bowl champions, or national champions, this team definitely has the makings of a championship caliber team like those 2004 and 2008 Utah teams. 

A very tough test awaits them at the Coliseum next week. USC may be the most talented team they face all year. Their playmakers are faster than Cal's, their quarterback is more efficient than Cal's, and their lines are bigger than Cal's (although that hasn't proven to be much of a factor on defense for the Trojans this year). Utah swept the LA teams last year, so they'll have the confidence of knowing they can go toe-to-toe with the Trojans and Bruins. But winning in the Coliseum is something the Utes have yet to accomplish and I fully expect USC to come out in full desperation mode. The Utes are certainly talented enough to win next weekend but I don't think this one sets up well for them.

Win or lose against SC, I don't believe Utah drops another one the rest of the way. Against Washington and Zona, the road environments will present a greater challenge than the actual teams they'll be facing. UCLA could be a very tricky game, especially if Rosen continues to improve. But the MUSS will be going nuts in what I expect to be Utah's home blackout game (they typically reserve those for the LA teams). And last but not least, the Utes always have the Buffs to contend with at the end of the season. And no matter how bad the Buffaloes are, they always seem to play their Rocky Mountain rivals close. But let's be honest, we all know that one's going to be a win. Which would leave Utah in prime position for a CFP, Rose, or Fiesta Bowl bid at worst, no matter what the outcome of the Pac-12 Championship is.

The Utes have done a great job handling their run of success and the building expectations that go along with it. They've successfully vanquished the Sun Devil voodoo, even when things looked in doubt heading into the 4th. Because that's what championship teams do. And whether they go on to become the South division champions, Pac-12 champions, Rose Bowl champions, or national champions, this team definitely has the makings of a championship caliber team like those 2004 and 2008 Utah teams.

A very tough test awaits them at the Coliseum next week. USC may be the most talented team they face all year. Their playmakers are faster than Cal's, their quarterback is more efficient than Cal's, and their lines are bigger than Cal's (although that hasn't proven to be much of a factor on defense for the Trojans this year). Utah swept the LA teams last year, so they'll have the confidence of knowing they can go toe-to-toe with the Trojans and Bruins. But winning in the Coliseum is something the Utes have yet to accomplish and I fully expect USC to come out in full desperation mode. The Utes are certainly talented enough to win next weekend but I don't think this one sets up well for them.

Win or lose against SC, I don't believe Utah drops another one the rest of the way. Against Washington and Zona, the road environments will present a greater challenge than the actual teams they'll be facing. UCLA could be a very tricky game, especially if Rosen continues to improve. But the MUSS will be going nuts in what I expect to be Utah's home blackout game (they typically reserve those for the LA teams). And last but not least, the Utes always have the Buffs to contend with at the end of the season. And no matter how bad the Buffaloes are, they always seem to play their Rocky Mountain rivals close. But let's be honest, we all know that one's going to be a win. Which would leave Utah in prime position for a CFP, Rose, or Fiesta Bowl bid at worst, no matter what the outcome of the Pac-12 Championship is.

Not a bad take. Utah's blackout game will probably be Halloween against OSU. A bit of bad blood there with former UTE coaches there and stealing a few of our recruits.

I expect the UTES to beat USC by a TD. USC is talented no doubt but they seem to be rudder-less right now.

Their defense is very suspect.

It's my turn to say something positive about the Utes for a change.  I've already made my opinion known about what I ultimately think will happen to Utah and their season.  However, I don't understand why Utah is a 3-point dog in this game.

One thing Utah has in spades is mental toughness, something the Trojans don't seem to have at all.  USC is without a true leader, is reeling, and will be playing an opponent that at minimum, is going to force them into a close game heading into the 4th.  I have no confidence in USC's ability to win a close game, particularly against a team that has done nothing but win close games all season.  I'd take the Utes on the moneyline and feel pretty damn good about it. 

I think this team refuses to consider a loss as an option.

UTES have great Sr leadership at key positions.

They have great talented underclass men.

They are physical and athletic across both lines.

If they can stay focused...who knows?

I'm taking UTAH to W.

I thought I was reading a Jalapeño take for a second

It will be interesting if USC will play like a wounded animal.

I feel like we might've seen that in South Bend.

But who knows, maybe they need another week to process and regroup.  Definitely not a game Utah should take lightly.  Remember what USC did under Orgeron.

Archived