Football Buzzwords and Catch Phrases

Quack 12

I’ve been thinking about starting this thread for awhile, but last weekend sealed it. I’m sure we’ve all noticed that when someone comes up with a “new†phrase, everyone in the broadcasting business jumps on the bandwagon, so let’s make a list of these silly expressions.

I’m not talking about so-called “signature phrases†like ****** Raible’s donkey bray “TOUCHdown, SEAhawks!†or former Beaver announcer Darrell Aune’s infamous “Holy jumpin’ up and down Martha!†I’m referring to descriptive phrases that become popular then get beaten to death.

On the radio this week I’ve heard several clips of play-by-play guys describing the final seconds of the Seahawks/Vikings game. Every one of them used the phrase, “Are you kidding me?†I realize this one’s been around a long time, but apparently nowadays everyone is questioning whether or not we’re serious.

For me, this all started with Frank Gifford on MNF back in the day, and his use of “nifty.†Even today, “nifty run†remains a staple of broadcasters.

“Explosion plays†is another heavily trodden term, as though the tight end is dropping an IED 40 yards downfield.

I’ve noticed in recent years that once one of these “fresh†terms becomes popular, it spreads through sports media like impetigo at a middle school.

A few years ago, some clever commentator described a speedy receiver as being able to “take the top off the defense.†Before long, topless defenses were everywhere.

But then someone (I blame Herbstreit) mentioned that once an opponent got to the red zone, the defense would “bow up†to stop them. Now I regularly hear about defenses bowing up, without actually lobbing arrows at the offense, of course.

How ‘bout “chunk yardage� Can’t you just hear Danny Kannell?

So what else?   

I'm getting sick of "downhill runner."

Really?  Now they put a slope in the field?  Goddamn Goddell is ruining everything about the sport!

(seriously though anyone who's been on a football field -- or maybe the older fields? -- notices that there is a slope for drainage but it typically runs from the middle of the field to the sidelines, so the OPPOSITE of what the announcers term a "downhill runner" is literally running downhill.)

"It's getting chippy out there" always made my ears perk up.

I'm getting sick of "downhill runner."

Really? Now they put a slope in the field? Goddamn Goddell is ruining everything about the sport!

(seriously though anyone who's been on a football field -- or maybe the older fields? -- notices that there is a slope for drainage but it typically runs from the middle of the field to the sidelines, so the OPPOSITE of what the announcers term a "downhill runner" is literally running downhill.)

"It's getting chippy out there" always made my ears perk up.

someone apparently doesn't know what downhill runner means.

someone apparently doesn't know what downhill runner means.

http://www.sportingcharts.com/dictionary/nfl/downhill-running-style.aspx

Refers to a running back's style of rushing the football where the ball is ran in a usually straight and direct manner through the defensive line, and has very little to do with actually running down a slope.  A downhill rusher primarily runs the ball up the field with power towards the opponents endzone with the help of the offensive line as opposed to running out to the sides towards open field

Therefore, running toward "the edge" of the O-line instead of straight at the defense is NOT "downhill running" in the announcer's sense, yet IS downhill running in the literal sense if they're going from the middle of the field to the sideline.

Once again, you're up your own ass...and incorrect.

http://www.sportingcharts.com/dictionary/nfl/downhill-running-style.aspx

Refers to a running back's style of rushing the football where the ball is ran in a usually straight and direct manner through the defensive line, and has very little to do with actually running down a slope.  A downhill rusher primarily runs the ball up the field with power towards the opponents endzone with the help of the offensive line as opposed to running out to the sides towards open field[/size]

Therefore, running toward "the edge" of the O-line instead of straight at the defense is NOT "downhill running" in the announcer's sense, yet IS downhill running in the literal sense if they're going from the middle of the field to the sideline.

Once again, you're up your own ass...and incorrect.

And here I thought running uphill was the opposite of running downhill. Thank you for being you Org.

And here I thought running uphill was the opposite of running downhill. Thank you for being you Org.

Ahh, I see, you're confused.  The opposite of being a "downhill runner" is not being one.  AKA, being shifty, running sideline to sideline.

I suppose you could quibble and claim that it's running backward.  But then you'd be you: Stupid.

Archived