Pac 12 Basketball Preseason Thread

All Hail

• Replies 186
  • Created
  • Last Reply

ok, a few thoughts before we burn it and move on:

1. we lose this game with or without brooks.

2. altman teams are always pretty good at attacking zones. yesterday was strange. altman was not pleased.

3. rogue is right, we often start slow and pick up steam in january. i was hoping to avoid this with such a large returning roster, but alas.

4. altman is a fairly straight shooter. listening to him post-game, it sounds like the team bought into their preseason ranking even though altman has said repeatedly over the last month that "we are nowhere near that team at this time." sounds like he let the team do their thing, and now that they've got their butts handed to them they're going to do it his way. 

Interesting scores here:

UCLA 102 CSUN 87

Stanford 96 CSUN 69

The UCLA game was close for a long time while the Stanford game was never close.  Obviously, it's only one game but I think there's growing evidence that Stanford might not suck as bad as everyone was predicting.  Most of the media had Stanford as either the 10th or 11th best team in the conference.  However, after an easy win over a quality Harvard squad and a convincing win over a CSUN team that gave UCLA some trouble, perhaps the Cardinal will be tough this year.   They also had two guys off the bench score over 15 points in both games.

Cal plays UC Irvine today, who is usually a pretty decent team.  No word yet on whether Rabb will play today but Cal could really use him back for the sack of cohesion and chemistry alone.   

Csun also ran a whole lot in ucla's game and boarded a bus for Palo alto at midnight for a game two days later. Fatigue might have been a factor

I'm not sure if I buy fatigue being a factor with 18-21 year olds this early into the season but you can't rule it out.  

For Cal, rookie PG Charlie Moore is getting more hype than either Rabb or Brown was receiving at this time last year.

"charliem will be way better than me, all he has to do is keep on working...i have a lot of faith n him"

-former pac 12 POY jerome randle

"i wouldn't be surprised at all if charlie is one of the best ever to ever come out of cal"

-coach martin at Pac 12 Media Day

I think they need to slow down the hype train but apparently people at Cal have some big expectations for the very small pg.

Charlie Moore shattered Cal's freshman scoring record by scoring 38 points in only his 2nd ever college game. What made it more impressive is that he had virtually no help. Moore's 38 points were more than the rest of the team scored combined.

If Rabb, Mullins, and Bird can come back healthy, this team should be pretty damn good.

Didn't realize there was a preseason thread up and running & set up a thread for CU's Legends Classic (I will discontinue that one immediately).

I like what I saw so far from CU's defense and rebounding so far and would like to see CU cut down on giving up second chances.  Now we'll see where CU could stand within the PAC this season as the BUFFS take on Norte Dame and either Texas/Northwestern next week.

Dominque Collier is out for 4-8 weeks due to a broken foot.  I think he'll be ready by conference play.

GO BUFFS!

Archived