non-conference games

glduck

• Replies 204
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Northern Colorado is playing at CU tomorrow night.  In the CUBuffs.com article, Boyle did sound concerned about UNC for good reason since the Bears lost by just four at CSU in an exhibition game and CU has nine players on the roster who have yet to play for the Buffs.

image.jpeg.8a7645d686cfdc6abea64f0febf171e4.jpeg

Still very disappointed with Evan Battey being declared an academic redshirt by the NCAA for repeating the 9th grade...really was looking forward to seeing him play.  Now I wonder how he will play after not playing in a game for two full seasons.

That is why I have been pretty quiet about CU basketball this preseason.

There are a sprinkling of great non-con games lined up this year for the Pac-12, an important way for the conference to get national attention, particularly with the late starting times of many Pac-12 games.  Six of the schools face at least one top 20 out-of-conference team.

Stanford plays North Carolina, Florida, and Kansas; ASU plays top-5 Kansas and also decent a Vandy team; Cal plays top-10 Wichita and top-20 St. Mary's; CU faces top-15 Xavier and also a decent Iowa team; UCLA plays Kentucky also decent Michigan; and Washington faces Kansas and difficult Gonzaga.

It might have been better for the conference, though, if Arizona, USC, Oregon, Oregon State, Utah, and WSU had at least one top 20 high profile team on their current out-of-conference schedule (not including tourney games where they might meet somebody).  The best is #25 A&M facing both USC and Arizona.

9 hours ago, Downthefield said:

There are a sprinkling of great non-con games lined up this year for the Pac-12, an important way for the conference to get national attention, particularly with the late starting times of many Pac-12 games.  Six of the schools face at least one top 20 out-of-conference team.

Stanford plays North Carolina, Florida, and Kansas; ASU plays top-5 Kansas and also decent a Vandy team; Cal plays top-10 Wichita and top-20 St. Mary's; CU faces top-15 Xavier and also a decent Iowa team; UCLA plays Kentucky also decent Michigan; and Washington faces Kansas and difficult Gonzaga.

It might have been better for the conference, though, if Arizona, USC, Oregon, Oregon State, Utah, and WSU had at least one top 20 high profile team on their current out-of-conference schedule (not including tourney games where they might meet somebody).  The best is #25 A&M facing both USC and Arizona.

Utah playing Butler and Missouri, both just out of the top 25. You don't make the schedule after the rankings for that year come out.

Buffs win 66-51.

Lots of new faces on this year's squad.  Buffs were picked to finish 9th in the Pac-12 and I think the media was right on the mark about that prediction.

The Buffs is a team that will have to play up tempo basketball quite often this season as the Buffs don't have that many big bodies for the inside game and if the Buffs face a strong interior defense, they will get beat handily.

I think if the Buffs were to finish close to the middle of the pack of the conference, I'd call it a good season in Boulder.

That Denver-CU game on Tuesday could be a test for the Buffs since Rodney Billups (Chauncey's brother) who coached under Tad Boyle in Boulder and is now the head coach at DU.

Namon Wright IV might be a player to keep an eye on.  He's wearing #25.

oregon beat coppin state 70-54. i thought things went perfectly: the team got up by 30 in the first half, showing a bit of the flash that they’ll hopefully develop later in the season; and then completely no-showed after halftime, meaning altman is going to have plenty to yell about during film study. best of both worlds.

roman sorkin, little used reserve big man his first three years, got his first career start and scored 23. nice moment for the kid. troy brown is easily our best player, he finished with 18.

2 hours ago, glduck said:

oregon beat coppin state 70-54. i thought things went perfectly: the team got up by 30 in the first half, showing a bit of the flash that they’ll hopefully develop later in the season; and then completely no-showed after halftime, meaning altman is going to have plenty to yell about during film study. best of both worlds.

roman sorkin, little used reserve big man his first three years, got his first career start and scored 23. nice moment for the kid. troy brown is easily our best player, he finished with 18.

Sorkin finally looked like the player people hoped he would when we landed him, like Dirk Jr.  6'10 and he was making NBA 3's.  Hope this isn't a flash in the pan, and that he plays this way all year.

Archived