It doesn’t fit anywhere else, so put it here

KUGRDON

27 minutes ago, KUGRDON said:

I was talking Cal.  I agree that California, indeed the West Coast, is less than enthusiastic about college sports as measured by SEC standards, but Cal’s attendance in light of potential audience is an outlier.  Deeper problems than general California apathy.

Yeah, Sonny Dykes. Wilcox isn't nearly as sexy of a hire as say a Chip Kelly.  It takes time and winning to bring in a California crowd that has far better things to do on weekends than spend 4-6 hours watching crappy football.  Cal was top 4 in the confernece in attendance during most of the Tedford years. 

23 minutes ago, MrBug708 said:

If you're Tony Bennett, and you get the call that the AP voted you Coach of the Year...how much do you want to tell them to give the award to the runner-up?

reminds me of the year dirk won MVP and the mavs got bounced in the first round as a 1 seed. we acknowledge the award was bestowed but we never talk about it. 

6 minutes ago, glduck said:

reminds me of the year dirk won MVP and the mavs got bounced in the first round as a 1 seed. we acknowledge the award was bestowed but we never talk about it. 

Or when Kershaw wins a CY Young and then gets slapped around in the playoffs?  Oh wait, that happened both times. You're welcome Don. 

1 hour ago, All Hail said:

Yeah, Sonny Dykes. Wilcox isn't nearly as sexy of a hire as say a Chip Kelly.  It takes time and winning to bring in a California crowd that has far better things to do on weekends than spend 4-6 hours watching crappy football.  Cal was top 4 in the confernece in attendance during most of the Tedford years. 

In Tedford's last year, Cal improved to 6th in attendance in the conference with their newly freshened digs, moving up from their 11th place the year before when they played at AT&T park.

23 minutes ago, Downthefield said:

In Tedford's last year, Cal improved to 6th in attendance in the conference with their newly freshened digs, moving up from their 11th place the year before when they played at AT&T park.

Yeah, those were the two worst years of Tedford. AT&T Park only holds about 40k.  Memorial Stadium holds about 66k

Given that this apparently is the "doesn’t fit anywhere else" thread, I'll toss out a question that I've been wondering about.  The Big Ten has a policy of only having AAU (Association of American Universities) in their conference, although they were embarrassed by Nebraska, which lost their AAU status shortly after being admitted into the conference.  The other conference that places a high value on academic standing of its members is the Pac-12.

Right now, eight of the twelve Pac-12 member have AAU status.  The AAU embraces leading research universities devoted to maintaining a strong system of academic research and education.  My question is whether there are efforts underway for the four Pac-12 schools without that standing to gain it.

Pac-12  Schools in the AAU and Year of Admission:

• Stanford (1900 -- charter member)
  • California (1900 -- charter member)
  • Washington (1950)
  • Colorado (1966)
  • Oregon (1969)
  • USC (1969)
  • UCLA (1974)
  • Arizona (1985)

Pac-12 Schools not in the AAU:

• Utah
  • Arizona State
  • Oregon State
  • Washington State

Is there any move by Utah, ASU, OSU, and/or WSU to gain AAU status?

14 minutes ago, Downthefield said:

Given that this apparently is the "doesn’t fit anywhere else" thread, I'll toss out a question that I've been wondering about.  The Big Ten has a policy of only having AAU (Association of American Universities) in their conference, although they were embarrassed by Nebraska, which lost their AAU status shortly after being admitted into the conference.  The other conference that places a high value on academic standing of its members is the Pac-12.

Right now, eight of the twelve Pac-12 member have AAU status.  The AAU embraces leading research universities devoted to maintaining a strong system of academic research and education.  My question is whether there are efforts underway for the four Pac-12 schools without that standing to gain it.

Pac-12  Schools in the AAU and Year of Admission:

• Stanford (1900 -- charter member)
  • California (1900 -- charter member)
  • Washington (1950)
  • Colorado (1966)
  • Oregon (1969)
  • USC (1969)
  • UCLA (1974)
  • Arizona (1985)

Pac-12 Schools not in the AAU:

• Utah
  • Arizona State
  • Oregon State
  • Washington State

Is there any move by Utah, ASU, OSU, and/or WSU to gain AAU status?

https://wsu.edu/drive-to-25/measuring-progress/

3 minutes ago, MrBug708 said:

As I stated in another thread, my brother got into Harvard's MBA program and now just found out he got into Stanford's MBA program. Still waiting on MIT, and Cal waitlisted him. Feel proud AH

Congrats to your brother!  Thats a big friggin deal!  And hey, us Cal fans don't have much going for us these days so we can't afford to miss an opportunity to feel a little proud. 

Just now, All Hail said:

Congrats to your brother!  Thats a big friggin deal!  And hey, us Cal fans don't have much going for us these days so we can't afford to miss an opportunity to feel a little proud. 

He did say his interview didn't go well so he wasn't surprised. He was kinda hoping he'd only get into one of Harvard or Stanford, to make the decision easier.