2019 Transfers

Scscsc89

According to the LA Times (quoting Steele’s father), at the time of his commitment to Oregon, USC didn’t have scholarship room for him.

Apparently, they have since found room — IDK, perhaps the recent Jones or McCoy developments freed up space.

The Transfer Portal is even weirder than its name.

• Replies 280
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 2 weeks later...

Regarding the Transfer Portal, an article in The Bleacher Report lists UCLA as one of the Big Losers.  Here's what they say about the Bruins:

Key Acquisitions: Colson Yankoff (QB, Washington)

Key Departures: Jaelan Phillips (LB, Miami); Mique Juarez (LB, Utah); Rahyme Johnson (LB, TBD); Chigozie Nnoruka (DE, Miami); Josh Wariboko-Alali (OG, TBD); Justin Murphy (OT, Houston); Colin Samuel (CB, Houston); Brandon Stephens (RB, TBD).  This isn't even the full list of players leaving UCLA. Eighteen Bruins have entered the transfer portal, more than half of whom are still trying to decide between choosing a new school or remaining in Los Angeles.  For the most part, they are inconsequential losses. A total of six running backs, wide receivers or tight ends are leaving UCLA, none of whom recorded a single rushing attempt or reception last season.

Only one of the departing defenders recorded eight or more tackles last season, and even he (Jaelan Phillips) didn't rank among the top 15 on the team in tackles. However, many of them feel like huge losses because they failed to live up to their potential.  Phillips was the No. 1 overall recruit in 2017, but injuries kept him from ever coming anywhere close to that level of production. Mique Juarez was also a 5-star recruit, rated as the No. 11 overall prospect in the 2016 class. He and Phillips should have lit up Pac-12 quarterbacks for a few years, but concussions limited Juarez to only two tackles over the past three seasons.  Four of the aforementioned skill position players were 4-star recruits, most notably Damian Alloway, who was the No. 3 all-purpose back in the 2016 class. Josh Wariboko-Alali was rated just outside the top 100 overall in 2015. Rahyme Johnson and Colin Samuel were both 4-star recruits who never panned out.  Losing those players doesn't necessarily hamper UCLA's potential in 2019, but it has been a harsh reminder of how little the Bruins were able to get out of their top-20 classes in recent years.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
21 hours ago, MrBug708 said:

Mique is supposedly no longer with the Utah program

I don't think that's the case. Whittingham was asked about him, and his response was something like "he isn't with our team". He can't comment on him because he's still finishing his classwork at UCLA. I understand that he won't enroll at Utah until fall semester.

8 hours ago, MussMan said:

I don't think that's the case. Whittingham was asked about him, and his response was something like "he isn't with our team". He can't comment on him because he's still finishing his classwork at UCLA. I understand that he won't enroll at Utah until fall semester.

Possibly but i cant imagine UCLA is letting him take summer school to get eligible at Utah. If it were winter. Plus summer school goes until like the last week of August. Is he going to join the Utah program the week before game 1?

8 hours ago, MrBug708 said:

Possibly but i cant imagine UCLA is letting him take summer school to get eligible at Utah. If it were winter. Plus summer school goes until like the last week of August. Is he going to join the Utah program the week before game 1?

I don't know why UCLA would stop a kid from enrolling at school assuming he qualified for admissions earlier. The football program shouldn't cause him to get kicked out of school because he left the team. Especially if he's paying his own way.

If I understand correctly, he's planning on graduating at the end of summer school. I'm not sure if he'll be in the program before game 1, but there will be plenty of time to join the team late. They're not really counting on him to contribute much this year.

• 2 weeks later...

Washington is blocking the eligibility of UCLA transfer Colson Yankoff, sort of. 

The Pac-12 has a one-year sit-out rule for intra-conference transfers, but the school from which the player is transferring can waive that stipulation, which then requires approval of the conference.

According to Yankoff, UW informed him in writing that they would not waive the sit-out rule, before he even asked for the waiver! He's appealing to the NCAA, but it's not likely to be successful.

So, is this a dick move by the Petersen and the Huskies? They don't play UCLA this year, and Yankoff loses a year of eligibility because of UW's refusal to grant him a waiver.

https://247sports.com/college/oregon/Article/UCLA-Bruins-Football-Washington-Blocks-Immediate-Eligibility-of-Transfer-Yankoff-134154282/ 

Archived