Pac-12 Hoops

glduck

An ongoing thread because I can no longer be counted on to create weekly threads in a timely manner.

Pritchard's lack of development finally forced Altman's hand. Frosh Will Richardson is now the primary ball handler, with Pritch sliding over to the 2-guard. So far, so good: an easy win at home against WSU, a road win last night in Salt Lake. Richardson is the best we've got at getting to the rim for easy buckets, so the offense has picked up a bit now that we're not watching Pritchard over-dribble for 20 seconds before finally initiating something. 

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Starting to see some internet comments about Mike Hopkins being the number 1 target for schools looking for a new coach this off season. UW is going to need to give him a raise if they want to hang on to him. 

Question for the board: at this point, if the money was even, would Hopkins take an offer from Syracuse over staying at UW? 

9 minutes ago, Downthefield said:

The answer, unfortunately, for both the Huskies and the Pac-12, is an unconditional "Yes."

I am not so sure.  He is a West Coast guy (born in CA, dad is from Seattle).  UW is his program, while at Cuse he would be upholding Boeheim's legacy.  What he is building could be special (two 5 star talents coming in next year with the potential for a third).  Much easier path to glory in PAC 12 (no Duke, Virginia, UNC, ...)

16 minutes ago, win2bfree said:

I am not so sure.  He is a West Coast guy (born in CA, dad is from Seattle).  UW is his program, while at Cuse he would be upholding Boeheim's legacy.  What he is building could be special (two 5 star talents coming in next year with the potential for a third).  Much easier path to glory in PAC 12 (no Duke, Virginia, UNC, ...)

I see your point, but 'Cuse isn't just any program -- it's not a Pitt or Clemson or FSU.  It's a program that can reasonably be a regular Elite Eight/Final Four contender.  And the ACC isn't a zero sum conference -- multiple schools are annually there vying for the national championship (e.g., this year with UVA, Duke, VaTech, and UNC).  The ACC currently has six teams in the Top 25, which is typical; the Pac-12 has sunk to having none.  There is tremendous media coverage for 'Cuse, whether they're playing Notre Dame or Louisville or whomever.  Syracuse is at the center of the basketball universe, playing in the ACC/B1G challenge, frequently featured in prime time, and within easy striking distance of the high school hotbeds along the east coast.  They also, of course, play in the nation's largest arena and annually are #1 or #2 in basketball attendance.  As for Washington, ask any high school blue chip from Detroit or Philly or Chicago or DC or Fort Lauderdale what they think of UDub, and they'll say "who???"

1 hour ago, MrBug708 said:

His zone is highly effective but his offenses are a little unstructured right now. The offensive efficiency doesn't lend support to elite on a long term scale right now

Good point, the offense has not been that great under Hopkins. I hope that means that UCLA is not looking poach him ... 

1 hour ago, glduck said:

I don't know the first thing about him, so I couldn't say. Prestige-wise, Syracuse is the no-brainer. But if he and his family love Seattle and/or the west coast, you never know. 

I agree about the prestige of the two jobs, but likely much more pressure at the Cuse as well. There is very little chance that Hopkins would outperform Boeheim over the course of his career. In fact, if he fails to get the Cuse to a Final 4 in the near term I imagine fans would grumble. Meanwhile, he can be the best modern coach in UW history if he takes the team past the Sweet 16. 

26 minutes ago, row Z said:

I agree about the prestige of the two jobs, but likely much more pressure at the Cuse as well. There is very little chance that Hopkins would outperform Boeheim over the course of his career. In fact, if he fails to get the Cuse to a Final 4 in the near term I imagine fans would grumble. Meanwhile, he can be the best modern coach in UW history if he takes the team past the Sweet 16. 

You're right.  If he's not up to the challenge of a big-time blue-blood program, he should stay right where he is.  However, you may be underestimating Hopkins' willingness to swim in the deep water.

Archived