Breaking News Thread

glduck

Begala of the Clinton Administration

Imagine what 340 billion over 10 years could do for homelessness, child nutrition, assimilating immigrants, first time home buyer programs for people earning less than median income giving them mortgage payments less than rent for apartments.  A whole world of people more deserving of assistance.  Not a dime should be going to anyone earning over median income.

People of color are also disproportionately burdened by student debt.  40% never graduated, and have a debt burden the size of a mortgage, but no benefit from a degree.

In other words, Biden's policy will benefit a disproportionate number of poor and black and brown people.

Of course @KUGRDON hates it.

On 8/28/2022 at 10:41 PM, KUGRDON said:

Begala of the Clinton Administration

Imagine what 340 billion over 10 years could do for homelessness, child nutrition, assimilating immigrants, first time home buyer programs for people earning less than median income giving them mortgage payments less than rent for apartments.  A whole world of people more deserving of assistance.  Not a dime should be going to anyone earning over median income.

Nothing's stopping us from doing all of those things , too....

oh, except every republican on earth, who would rather burn down public education as a whole than give one red cent to those fucking kids or poor people.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Make sure you vote.  Not all of us are lucky to live someplace like Oregon, where we make voting as easy as humanly possible, so get in line early if you don't.

Of course if Drazan is elected, she'll probably try to end all forms of mail-in voting or some shit, so if you vote for her, fuck you, hope you trip on a curb while dropping off your ballot.

Well, the red wave fizzled, which is great. Both chambers still TBD, but election deniers were rebuffed in large chunks of the country and apparently younger voters don’t take part in polling as this has been yet another debacle for that particular industry.

Lots to break down, and I’ll leave that for people smarter than myself, but one takeaway that stuck with me after last night — the GOP has been given yet another opportunity to jump off the Trump train. Last night went terribly for him in particular, a bunch of his wacko fringe candidates lost, and DeSantis will be much easier to push into the mainstream. Will they take it?

In DeSantis's creepy victory speech he mentioned "woke" 6 times in 20 seconds, which suggests that he plans to learn absolutely nothing from the most tepid republican midterm performance anyone has seen in more than 50 years.

My guess is over the next two years he picks up ground, and becomes the GOP nominee.  I wouldn't have imagined that a year ago, but I think that's where we're headed.  Trump's handpicked candidates shit the bed hard and that means a GOP showdown is coming.  Get ready for clown-car 2024.

Still way too nervous to opine on most of the Oregon races.  That Lori Dermer chick is fucken scary, and will definitely embarrass the state.  Baby-voice Drazan is hanging within 16k votes but I keep hearing most of the outstanding count is in metro areas.

Measure 114 is barely ahead.  It's nice to see most Oregonians are sick of seeing children get liquified by 30-round AR-15s.

On 8/26/2022 at 8:02 PM, KUGRDON said:

I think there’s going to be criticism from all angles.  Angry American college educated white kids are one of the most privileged group of people in world history.  Not many are going to buy into their politics of grievance.  Even Nate Silver has said this is naked transactional politics, paying for votes.  As blatant a payment  for votes as the Trump tax cuts.

Thread

Lol, we saw what Nate silver’s opinion was worth.  

On 11/9/2022 at 8:02 AM, Orange said:

In DeSantis's creepy victory speech he mentioned "woke" 6 times in 20 seconds, which suggests that he plans to learn absolutely nothing from the most tepid republican midterm performance anyone has seen in more than 50 years.

Make that 60 years since ANY midterm recovery that resembles this.  

with a president in office that 42% of us like.  And 8% inflation.   

People motherfucking hate republicans.    

Biden is a strange one because I think it’s kind of hard to rally against him? They tried to say he was too old and senile, which set the bar way too low when he started delivering political wins. When they try to say he’s a radical leftist people scoff, because it’s not remotely true. He’s not a woman with opinions, and he’s not a minority, so he avoids the Hillary and Obama treatment. It’s just hard to hate him. Hell, they tried to make so many things stick they eventually got to “he’s a good father who truly loves his son.” Even the Let’s Go Brandon crowd seem to go after him more because he’s the Head Liberal, and these MAGA chuds really hate liberals.

Anyway, I think that’s one reason we didn’t see what *should* have been a 2010-esqu bloodbath for Dems. Without a figurehead to attack they had to go after the issues, and hey inflation played but nowhere near the levels of the-black-man-wants-to-give-you-healthcare 12 years ago.