2019-20 NBA

PapaG

• Replies 360
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My overall thoughts on the playoffs.. Being partial to the Western Conference of course. 

Portland/Lakers: Cheering for Portland but the Lakers pulled their head out of their ass.

OKC/Houston: I think some of Houston's player losses in trades have hurt them. Very evenly matched teams. OKC is gritty.

Dallas/Clips: Biggest surprise for me of the playoffs. Without Porzingis for the most part.. I think the Clips win in 7. Not sure how long Doncic can keep up the magic with a bad ankle. Very fun player to watch..

Utah/Denver: I knew this would be a good match up for Utah despite our regular season record against Denver.. Denver is soft.. Utah could be in trouble in the next series(assuming we don't blow a 3-1 lead). Donovan has to continue to be Superman in the playoffs for us to go further.. Not sure if that's sustainable.

East: Meh... I think it comes down to Boston and the Bucks but Toronto might have something to say about this..

Now that Lillard has been ruled out tomorrow we can put a bow on the series... (yes the series would be over even if he played).

Stunning to see how brutally ineffective Nurkic and Whiteside were, and how massively they got outworked by LA’s big men. You expect AD to dominate, but you’d like to think you can make up for that a little with busting ass... but LA easily won in that department too. They’re better than Portland and outworked us, which is how two of these games turned into routes.

The Damian Lillard era, in two stats:

1. Thanks in no small part to running into GSW seemingly every year of their dynasty, Blazers are 0-5 in series against 1 seeds. No series ever went farther than 5 games.

2. Portland is 4-2 in all other series. We remain a nice little mid-market franchise with nice little players and sometimes Lillard does something so wacky we catch some national attention, but by and large we’re a “second round is a great success” franchise who can’t compete with the elite.

2 hours ago, utenation said:

East: Meh... I think it comes down to Boston and the Bucks but Toronto might have something to say about this..

Something really needs to be done about the East.  If it weren't for one of the biggest playoff upsets in the past 20 years, the 4 best teams (even though Indiana was higher seeded, Miami is the better team) in the East would be 16-0. 

22 hours ago, glduck said:

Now that Lillard has been ruled out tomorrow we can put a bow on the series... (yes the series would be over even if he played).

Stunning to see how brutally ineffective Nurkic and Whiteside were, and how massively they got outworked by LA’s big men. You expect AD to dominate, but you’d like to think you can make up for that a little with busting ass... but LA easily won in that department too. They’re better than Portland and outworked us, which is how two of these games turned into routes.

The Damian Lillard era, in two stats:

1. Thanks in no small part to running into GSW seemingly every year of their dynasty, Blazers are 0-5 in series against 1 seeds. No series ever went farther than 5 games.

2. Portland is 4-2 in all other series. We remain a nice little mid-market franchise with nice little players and sometimes Lillard does something so wacky we catch some national attention, but by and large we’re a “second round is a great success” franchise who can’t compete with the elite.

And that is all Portland will ever be, except for once every 20-25 years where we have a small window of opportunity.

So which is more powerful?

1. Boycotting the playoffs which essentially puts more pressure on the NBA and NBA owners to try and drive government reform? Will this really work? Hitting the pocketbooks of possibly influential people?  Leaving talking heads from sports media yammering on the rest of the year trying to save face for ratings? Once the teams go home, their voices will likely be silent. The message so far from the Bucks is calling for local reform.. Which IMO stems from political problems on a national level. So what will this choice really accomplish?

OR

2.  Continue to push for reform with a national audience and give our country some much needed sports outlets in an already terrible year? The message of the player meetings so far has been "The NBA and NBA owners need to do more". Can't this be done while continuing the season?

So take your ball and go home or continue to market your message on a national stage? I'm pretty sure if they shut it down, most people will tune out sports media as they did during the COVID shutdown. How many ways can they really spin, we have no sports? 

BTW, in reference to the 17 year old shooting and killing 2 people in the protests in Wisconsin.. I have no idea why there would be an open carry law in any state.. Just mind boggling.. His facebook page said it all..

1. I really don't think voices like LeBron James etc will all of a sudden be silent because there are no games being played.  Let alone players like Lillard, Mitchell, etc that have significant voice and power in their local markets.  

2. Sounds like you already know which option you believe they should take.  I just don't believe in your this or that ultimatum.  

4 minutes ago, duckfandan said:

1. I really don't think voices like LeBron James etc will all of a sudden be silent because there are no games being played.  Let alone players like Lillard, Mitchell, etc that have significant voice and power in their local markets.  

2. Sounds like you already know which option you believe they should take.  I just don't believe in your this or that ultimatum.  

The folks you mentioned may not go silent but the local impact is nothing like the national market.. As of now, we have games everyday on national TV. I highly doubt even Lebron could schedule enough press conferences to do anything close.. And opening up questions to the subject isn't having my mind made up..  I 100% believe in the cause for reform. I'm just wondering which is a more powerful platform..

This question is some what moot now as the playoffs are going to continue.. 

5 minutes ago, utenation said:

The folks you mentioned may not go silent but the local impact is nothing like the national market.. As of now, we have games everyday on national TV. I highly doubt even Lebron could schedule enough press conferences to do anything close.. And opening up questions to the subject isn't having my mind made up..  I 100% believe in the cause for reform. I'm just wondering which is a more powerful platform..

Yea...I gotcha.  I just wonder what the impact would be if the Player's Union decide to, in unison, go to each home teams market and support LeBron's voting campaign.  That's a completely tangible and active thing to get out and support.

31 minutes ago, utenation said:

I think nailing pocketbooks is the only way change is really enacted at ANY level.  Stopping the games is the only thing that does that.

It's the only reason Mississippi took the stars and bars off their flag; the SEC threatened to cut into their pocketbook.

1 hour ago, Orange said:

I think nailing pocketbooks is the only way change is really enacted at ANY level.  Stopping the games is the only thing that does that.

It's the only reason Mississippi took the stars and bars off their flag; the SEC threatened to cut into their pocketbook.

You very well could be right..

What's going on is unprecedented and some are saying the biggest unrest in this country since the US Civil War.

Sports aren't important right now and Orange is right...the only change that could happen is to threaten the pocketbooks.  Sacrificing sports even for one year if it results in needed change would be worth it at this point.

Well, my Utah/Denver analysis is looking like shit.. How the fuck do you blow a 3-1 lead? Utah is now the soft team.. Horrible defense. They need to get physical with Murray and quit watching him in practice drills.. He's getting a lot of screens.. But fuck... I don't feel good about game 7. Utah is hot garbage right now.

Snyder is now the lost coach.. Props to Malone for making adjustments with his starting line up.

• 3 weeks later...

I totally misread Denver.  But so did the rest of the world. I believe the Clippers were favored by about 7-8 points each game and blew it like Utah did.. Doc Rivers had Murray shut down the first few games with a George/Beverley combo.. But props again to Malone for getting him open in the last few games. Porter did a few nice things in this series too. Not to mention, 85 year old Paul Millsap.

Denver is the only team EVER to come back from a 3-1 deficit TWICE in the playoffs.. I had the Clips going to the Finals this year..

I would say the Lakers are gritty and experienced enough to get past Denver but I'm done counting out the Nuggets..

Looks like the Heat were underrated all year too.

Archived