Syria

Scscsc89

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, glduck said:

good god

I totally agree.  He is an idiot.  But be honest, were the results in Syria any better while Obama was President?  Quantify.  Did Russian and Iranian influence in Syria increase or decrease?  Violent deaths of civilians?  Refugees?  Homeless?

We, meaning none of us, have this disengagement thingy worked out.  We cannot arm and train indigenous armed forces (such as the Kurds) to do our bidding (fighting ISIS) in places like the Middle East without upsetting the regional balance of power and thereby inflame historic rivalries.

The Kurds want an independent state bordering Syria, Turkey, Iraq, Iran, Georgia, etc. taking land from most of those countries.  How’s that going to work?  I find the abandonment of an ally like this just horrible and as a breach of faith.

At the same time, looking out 100 years, no matter what happens now, there will be war most likely leading to a practical genocide of the Kurds without a dramatic and ongoing commitment of American force.  Much of this problem is due to the fact that we’ve armed and emboldened the Kurds to fight ISIS (so that we didn’t have to put “boots on the ground” in a sufficient number to defeat ISIS ourselves.)  The Kurds are now turning the weapons and training they obtained (from us) to fight ISIS on Turkey who they view as an interloper into “Kurdistan” the same way ISIS was.  

For its part, Turkey does not want an armed Kurdish military along the Turkey/Syria border sending weapons and fighters into Turkey in pursuit of their nationalist desires.  Understandable.

The Kurds were not fighting ISIS for the US. They were fighting to remove ISIS from “Kurdistan.”  They were our allies in the same manner that the Soviet Union was our ally in WWII.

I have not a fucking clue as to what to do.  The glib answer is the creation of an autonomous, if not independent, state for the Kurds on far less ground than they currently occupy in combination in Syria, Turkey, Iran, etc.  That’s probably a hundred year project.

Lets not pretend Trump’s idiocy means that anyone else has a long term solution.

1 hour ago, KUGRDON said:

I totally agree.  He is an idiot.  But be honest, were the results in Syria any better while Obama was President?  Quantify.  Did Russian and Iranian influence in Syria increase or decrease?  Violent deaths of civilians?  Refugees?  Homeless?

We, meaning none of us, have this disengagement thingy worked out.  We cannot arm and train indigenous armed forces (such as the Kurds) to do our bidding (fighting ISIS) in places like the Middle East without upsetting the regional balance of power and thereby inflame historic rivalries.

The Kurds want an independent state bordering Syria, Turkey, Iraq, Iran, Georgia, etc. taking land from most of those countries.  How’s that going to work?  I find the abandonment of an ally like this just horrible and as a breach of faith.

At the same time, looking out 100 years, no matter what happens now, there will be war most likely leading to a practical genocide of the Kurds without a dramatic and ongoing commitment of American force.  Much of this problem is due to the fact that we’ve armed and emboldened the Kurds to fight ISIS (so that we didn’t have to put “boots on the ground” in a sufficient number to defeat ISIS ourselves.)  The Kurds are now turning the weapons and training they obtained (from us) to fight ISIS on Turkey who they view as an interloper into “Kurdistan” the same way ISIS was.  

For its part, Turkey does not want an armed Kurdish military along the Turkey/Syria border sending weapons and fighters into Turkey in pursuit of their nationalist desires.  Understandable.

The Kurds were not fighting ISIS for the US. They were fighting to remove ISIS from “Kurdistan.”  They were our allies in the same manner that the Soviet Union was our ally in WWII.

I have not a fucking clue as to what to do.  The glib answer is the creation of an autonomous, if not independent, state for the Kurds on far less ground than they currently occupy in combination in Syria, Turkey, Iran, etc.  That’s probably a hundred year project.

Lets not pretend Trump’s idiocy means that anyone else has a long term solution.

I love middle east preaching from guys who gave full-throated support to W and President Dick Cheney.

1 hour ago, KUGRDON said:

Unfortunately, this is completely true, but abandoning the Kurds is essentially condemning them to death, and they'll take a boatload of Turks and Syrians and Iranians and Russians with them. 

If we can live with ourselves, then so be it, although we might have staved it off for quite awhile. 

16 hours ago, KUGRDON said:

You’re usual contribution to conversation.

Your*

I'm unclear what more was needed.  You've been pretty terrible on this issue.  You supported the Iraq War, and then blamed Obama for ISIS.  Your judgment is either terrible, or you're chronically dishonest in your discussions of how ME events have unfolded.  Or, more likely, you're so blatantly partisan that the idea of the GOP bearing ANY responsibility for anything terrifies you.  Hence you've NEVER criticized Trump without including some tit-for-tat bullshit about Obama or Hillary.

Your party nominated a deranged, emotionally disturbed moron with megalomania issues that ALL of us saw coming.  Own it, fuckstain.

Sorry Pac12 Chickenhawk warmongers, cease fire announced.  Where is your next place to send #notyourkids to die?

https://abcnews.go.com/Politics/vice-president-mike-pence-seeks-syria-ceasefire-turkey/story?id=66345538

Turkey has agreed to a ceasefire in northern Syria between its forces and their allied rebels and U.S.-backed Syrian Kurds, Vice President Mike Pence announced.

3 minutes ago, PapaG said:

Sorry Pac12 Chickenhawk warmongers, cease fire announced.  Where is your next place to send #notyourkids to die?

https://abcnews.go.com/Politics/vice-president-mike-pence-seeks-syria-ceasefire-turkey/story?id=66345538

Turkey has agreed to a ceasefire in northern Syria between its forces and their allied rebels and U.S.-backed Syrian Kurds, Vice President Mike Pence announced.

lol

"It will be a pause in military operation for 120 hours, while the United States facilitates the withdrawal of YPG (the People's Protection Units) from the affected areas in the safe zone. And once that is completed, Turkey has agreed to a permanent ceasefire and the United States of America will work with Turkey -- will work with nations around the world -- to make sure peace and stability are the order of the day in this safe zone," Pence said at a news conference.

So it's temporary, and then it will be permanent...which begs the question "why are they calling it temporary"?

I mean, far be it from this administration to lie its ass off...

3 minutes ago, Orange said:

lol

"It will be a pause in military operation for 120 hours, while the United States facilitates the withdrawal of YPG (the People's Protection Units) from the affected areas in the safe zone. And once that is completed, Turkey has agreed to a permanent ceasefire and the United States of America will work with Turkey -- will work with nations around the world -- to make sure peace and stability are the order of the day in this safe zone," Pence said at a news conference.

So it's temporary, and then it will be permanent...which begs the question "why are they calling it temporary"?

I mean, far be it from this administration to lie its ass off...

Go enlist, Rambo.  Chickenhawks...

Archived