Pitfalls of Low Unemployment

PAC MAN

https://www.cnn.com/2019/11/06/business/midland-texas-boomtown/index.html

I'm seeing similar problems here in Denver but more mainly towards the bus drivers and light rail operators.  It's so nice that so many people have jobs but is that a good thing overall?  Anyone notice the food prices going up?  It's to pay the increase in salary towards the grocery store workers plus their dirty union overlords.  Anyone notice it takes forever to order food up front at a fast food restaurant compared to just ordering your food on the app and sit in your car in the drive thru lane?  I noticed myself eating at home far more often these days because I simply do not want to wait for my food these days and those fast casual food chains like Chipotle actually move faster than Burger King/McDonald's in person.

Your link isn't reflective of your thesis.  Traffic in a boomtown is a result of a huge amount of population entering a place that doesn't yet have the infrastructure to keep up.  The U.S.'s problem has always been a lack of investment in infrastructure, and that has little to do with unemployment.

8 minutes ago, Orange said:

Your link isn't reflective of your thesis.  Traffic in a boomtown is a result of a huge amount of population entering a place that doesn't yet have the infrastructure to keep up.  The U.S.'s problem has always been a lack of investment in infrastructure, and that has little to do with unemployment.

The link is an article to simply give an idea about the pitfalls of low unemployment rates.  My biggest fear is inflation at this point caused by employers having to raise the hourly wages to keep their employees and the customer is the one that pays for those increases in wages through higher prices on merchandise.  Given that my wife works at Target, I haven't had to shop at King Soopers (Colorado's Kroger chain store) and Walmart.  Lately, I have been going to those stores for the fun of it and was shocked at home much those cost more than Target when in the past, I'd say Target cost more.  Right now, my wife and I only go to Walmart for one specific type of headache medicine for her.  If we can find a different place to get that headache medicine, we are 100% done with Walmart.  I hate going to Walmart and they have those electronic gate doors that open and close when you enter and I'm not sure if that is becoming standard at all Walmarts but I'm freaking human not a cow or animal.  That is something that also turns me off from Costco where they try to cordon off checkout lanes where you could have walked through on the way out because sometimes I just want to go to Costco just to look at stuff.  I haven't renewed my Costco membership as well.

And I love that Target Circle stuff you have on the Target app...sorry for the shameless advertising but it's so awesome to have money earned from Target Circle to use towards a cold drink while shopping in the store.  I'm guilty of introducing her to Target as a place to work since I worked at three different Targets during my college years and enjoyed it...Fast Fun Friendly....I still remember those three Fs but are they in the correct order? :lol: 

Back to topic...

While studying for my accounting major within the business department, everyone had to take core business classes and I'm not sure if it was Economics 101 or a different class but I learned that extremely low unemployment rates are not necessarily a good thing and right now we are seeing just that and an increase in costs across the board maybe except Arizona tea which might be still stuck at 99 cents...maybe I need to go check at Walgreen's at some point.

Have you seen the news about Oklahoma letting non-violent offenders out early?  Perhaps not only to right the wrongs but get more people into the labor pool.  Perhaps just a thesis on my part as you say.

1 hour ago, Orange said:

We have this issue in Reno.  With so many people relocating here and the building that’s going on the traffic is absolute garbage.  It takes me 45-60 minutes to go 10 miles to work in the morning.  Just a year ago the commute was 25 minutes in the morning.   

2 hours ago, mugtang said:

We have this issue in Reno.  With so many people relocating here and the building that’s going on the traffic is absolute garbage.  It takes me 45-60 minutes to go 10 miles to work in the morning.  Just a year ago the commute was 25 minutes in the morning.   

Try driving on the parkway in Bend, OR, at 5 pm during a work week (like I need to in about 30 mins).  This thing was constructed when our town had 40,000 people, but the plans were written when we had 25k.  Now we've got 100k.  Forget east/west routes in Bend.  Get a hotel wherever you are and let  your kids fend for themselves if they're on the other side of town.

12 minutes ago, Orange said:

Try driving on the parkway in Bend, OR, at 5 pm during a work week (like I need to in about 30 mins).  This thing was constructed when our town had 40,000 people, but the plans were written when we had 25k.  Now we've got 100k.  Forget east/west routes in Bend.  Get a hotel wherever you are and let  your kids fend for themselves if they're on the other side of town.

I can only imagine.  The city council (at least here) continues to approve more building permits without regards to what it does to the current residents.  And here it takes the state a decade to approve widening a freeway.  They just finished (within the last 5 years) a bypass between Reno and Carson city that was being planned when I moved here in 1999. 

Archived