Could Big 12 conference survive if...........??

Guest DenverUte

Guest DenverUte

Just wondering if the 10 members of the MWC + Utah State & Louisiana Tech would be better off joining the remain 4 Big 12 teams and expanding the "Big 12", then inviting the 4 teams to the MWC or WAC, as Big 12 has the reputation as a premier conference. Would be a 5th super conference, and as the Big 12 is BCS, it might allow the 12 new members to Backdoor their way into BCS.

If/when Oklahoma and Texas leave the Big-12 they take the conference AQ status with them. Adding teams like Utah State or Louisana Tech wont help at all

Guest FountainofUte

Not that my opinion is worth a tinker's damn, but if super conferences happen, I think there should be five of them anyway.

People often think in terms of four 16-team conferences. That makes 64 FBS schools and the rest of the 120 are left to blow away in the wind. I think this is too drastic. Yes, there are some perennially and historically awful programs, but it's not half of the FBS.

Let there be a 5th super conference. Let it form itself. It will probably be the B12 leftovers and the best of the MWC, CUSA and maybe WAC. Then there are 80 teams in the FBS. The other 40 move down--probably where they belong anyway (MAC, Sun Belt, WAC, some of MWC and CUSA). Give all 80 schools the same access to the NC and make them all AQ. The bowls stay the same. Each conference is guaranteed to get their champ to one of the five BCS bowls. The other five spots are at-large; no more than three from one conference. Everyone gets rich. Everyone is happy.

Not that my opinion is worth a tinker's damn, but if super conferences happen, I think there should be five of them anyway.

People often think in terms of four 16-team conferences. That makes 64 FBS schools and the rest of the 120 are left to blow away in the wind. I think this is too drastic. Yes, there are some perennially and historically awful programs, but it's not half of the FBS.

Let there be a 5th super conference. Let it form itself. It will probably be the B12 leftovers and the best of the MWC, CUSA and maybe WAC. Then there are 80 teams in the FBS. The other 40 move down--probably where they belong anyway (MAC, Sun Belt, WAC, some of MWC and CUSA). Give all 80 schools the same access to the NC and make them all AQ. The bowls stay the same. Each conference is guaranteed to get their champ to one of the five BCS bowls. The other five spots are at-large; no more than three from one conference. Everyone gets rich. Everyone is happy.

When superconferences happen I think there will only be three of them in the Pac, Big-10 and SEC. Now I see the ACC/Big East going to 16 as well as some sort of merger between the MWC & C-USA (including BYU) but honestly I don't see either of those conferences being on the same level as the big three.

Guest FountainofUte

When superconferences happen I think there will only be three of them in the Pac, Big-10 and SEC. Now I see the ACC/Big East going to 16 as well as some sort of merger between the MWC & C-USA (including BYU) but honestly I don't see either of those conferences being on the same level as the big three.

I agree and disagree.

I don't think they'll be on the same competitive level, but I think they should have their champ represented in the BCS bowls just like the other conferences. The "5th conference" probably wouldn't be as good top to bottom as the other four (assuming a BE/ACC hybrid is #4), but just like the MWC and WAC of recent years, I think the 5th conference's champ will be good enough to deserve a seat at the table. I think Utah, Boise State, and TCU have proven that point by now, don't you?

I agree and disagree.

I don't think they'll be on the same competitive level, but I think they should have their champ represented in the BCS bowls just like the other conferences. The "5th conference" probably wouldn't be as good top to bottom as the other four (assuming a BE/ACC hybrid is #4), but just like the MWC and WAC of recent years, I think the 5th conference's champ will be good enough to deserve a seat at the table. I think Utah, Boise State, and TCU have proven that point by now, don't you?

I wouldn't have a problem with them getting a bid as they have continued to win when they get the opportunites to play the big boys. I would however rather see the better halves of each the MWC and C-USA (along with BYU) join together under a new banner rather then one conference absorbing the other leaving them with a couple bottom feeders like New Mexico or Louisiana Tech.

Guest DenverUte

I still think that the WAC/MWC would do better perception wise, if they agreed to be merged into what remains of the Big 12, than to keep their brand.

Guest Bone Crusher

clpp01 is correct...if OU & UT leave the Big 12, the Big 12 will eventually lose its AQ status but it'll be cool to see the Big 12 try to keep it.

Guest DenverUte

clpp01 is correct...if OU & UT leave the Big 12, the Big 12 will eventually lose its AQ status but it'll be cool to see the Big 12 try to keep it.

I agree with you it being cool to watch Big 12 try to keep it's status. I think Beebe, will try like hell to keep the the conference going with whatever members don't find a new home.

The Big East is not a good football conference. TCU will go in and dominate for years.

Boise State

Kansas

Kansas State

Air Force

Fresno

Nevada

Baylor

San Diego State

Would make up a decent football conference that would compete equally with Big East football.

Guest CalHawk

The Big East is not a good football conference. TCU will go in and dominate for years.

Boise State

Kansas

Kansas State

Air Force

Fresno

Nevada

Baylor

San Diego State

Would make up a decent football conference that would compete equally with Big East football.

KU would never do that type of conference. It wouldn't be an AQ conference, but more importantly for KU, its not a conference that KU could showcase its basketball program. Top recruits and coaches are not going to come to KU to watch us play Boise St, Air Force, Fresno and Nevada. There's no way that conference is better than the Big East with TCU, USF, Pitt and WVU. Heck, you could throw UConn into that as well. That conference gets decimated ratings wise by the media markets in the BEAST.

Guest DenverUte

I just don't think Beebe will let the Big 12 die without a fight, and I read an article, where Texas was gloating over all it's options, one being staying in the Big12 regardless of who leaves. The more I think about it, the more I think Texas might do just that. They could stay after OU, OSU, and a couple more leave for PAC, then as one of the final 5 left invite BYU, and 6 of the stronger MWC, WAC and C-USA teams to get back up to 12. This would assure the same Texas dominance of the conference as they have now, and with Texas still a member, they would remain an AQ conference, which would make it an easier pill to swallow that the newbies get less money, influence in their new conference.

Here's the problem with that scenario: people don't trust Texas. If OU and OSU leave and Texas doesn't go to the PAC, do you really think Larry Scott is going to sit on his hands and not call KU and MU for an invite? If Scott doesn't do that, do you think MU will balk at the SEC if they get an invite? What happens in 2-4 years if Notre Dame decides it is time to go to the B1G and they want Texas, KU and MU to fill out a region for them? Or what if KU and MU think Texas will fly the coup by themselves and leave them in a mess of a conference? That's the problem with the scenario. Why would schools with options trust the Longhorns with any long range plans? I think the conference folds if OU goes.

I can't see Missouri or Kansas staying for what essentially would be Texas and the C-USA. At that point the Big East would be more attractive conference that would pay out more than the Big-12 and that is if they didn't find a home in one of the Pac/Big10/SEC.

Archived