Mannion named as Beaver starting QB

Guest Frito Bandito

Guest Frito Bandito

Riley makes bold decision to start redshirt freshman Sean Mannion at QB... sort of a Sean Canfield clone.

Ryan Katz has great talent, but hasn't put it to great use to this point.

Guest nakedmolerat

I'm glad coach finally made a decision, and this is the right one in my opinion. Though Katz is only a junior, he has been in the program for going on four years, because he reported early thereby getting an "extra" spring camp.

I think a lot of what goes in to this is that Katz doesn't make the quickest decisions, and Riley's offense can be complicated. The fact that he still appeared flustered if his primary receiver was covered (and he would stare the primary down) was disconcerting after so long in the program. Mannion seems to make a quicker decision, but definitely doesn't have the arm strength or footwork that Katz did.

Once Mannion has Halahuni and James Rodgers back, he might be able to be even more effective than he has shown so far. As a Beaver fan, let's sure as shit hope so.

RAT

Guest Bone Crusher

Sounds a lot like the Dan Hawkins offense and Hawkins did visit OSU before CU announced the move to the P12. It seems to me that Hawkins tried to run CU like Riley runs OSU since they are friends. CU usually had better games when they made the playbook simpler...something Riley ought to do especially after getting shutout last week.

IMO, I think we are seeing the last days of Riley in Corvallis...that new P12 TV money will make it easier to buy him out. Coaches from BCS conferences do not last when they lose to FCS schools.

Guest nakedmolerat

IMO, I think we are seeing the last days of Riley in Corvallis...that new P12 TV money will make it easier to buy him out. Coaches from BCS conferences do not last when they lose to FCS schools.

There's plenty of fans calling for his head. On the other sites that I frequent, a "perhaps Riley should go" thread appears about every fifth one these days.

With the extra P12 media money, you may be right that it would be easier to buy him out, but I don't think it is easy anyway. I'm not sure of the specifics, but his buyout is pretty big. His contract is through 2019, and every year he has a non losing season, another year is tacked on :blink:. It's one of the worst contracts ever.

I don't think that he will be fired after this year, even if it ends up only a 2 or 3 win season. I think his body of work over the last decade warrants another year at least. But, if I were Bob DeCarolis, I would force his hands on shaking up his coordinators and assistants. I would use the new P12 media money to lure a top OC or DC or both, perhaps implementing a "coach in waiting" type situation. However, with the 28 years of losing still fresh in a whole lot of people's minds, and only being 12 years ago, if he doesn't win the next year, than he will definitely be gone.

RAT

Guest RogueDuck

There's plenty of fans calling for his head. On the other sites that I frequent, a "perhaps Riley should go" thread appears about every fifth one these days.

With the extra P12 media money, you may be right that it would be easier to buy him out, but I don't think it is easy anyway. I'm not sure of the specifics, but his buyout is pretty big. His contract is through 2019, and every year he has a non losing season, another year is tacked on :blink:. It's one of the worst contracts ever.

I don't think that he will be fired after this year, even if it ends up only a 2 or 3 win season. I think his body of work over the last decade warrants another year at least. But, if I were Bob DeCarolis, I would force his hands on shaking up his coordinators and assistants. I would use the new P12 media money to lure a top OC or DC or both, perhaps implementing a "coach in waiting" type situation. However, with the 28 years of losing still fresh in a whole lot of people's minds, and only being 12 years ago, if he doesn't win the next year, than he will definitely be gone.

RAT

Personally I think OS should bring back Pettibone. :lol:

Archived