18 conference games for basketball?

Guest Bone Crusher

Guest Bone Crusher
Still up in the air is conference scheduling. Boyle said he expects the Pac-12 to have an 18-game league basketball schedule. The Big 12 uses a 16-game conference model. It's unclear if the Pac-10's current Thursday-Saturday conference scheduling format will continue. Under that arrangement, Colorado would play at Cal on a Thursday, for instance, spend all day Friday preparing for Stanford and play the Cardinal on Saturday.

The Big 12 plays conference basketball games on Tuesday or Wednesday, with time to return home before hosting or traveling to the next league game on Saturday.

Read more: CU's athletes fired up about move to Pac-10 - The Denver Post http://www.denverpost.com/cu/ci_16148146?source=rss#ixzz10MlArw5O

I wonder how this 18 game conference schedule would work with a 12 team conference.

Guest FountainofUte

I wonder how this 18 game conference schedule would work with a 12 team conference.

I thought I read somewhere that it will likely be 6 home-and-homes, and then 6 one offs. Kind of a bummer. I'd rather see us play a true 22-game round robin. But I thought I heard somewhere that the NCAA doesn't allow any more than an 18-game conference reg season. Can anyone confirm this?

Guest BuffZilla

I thought I read somewhere that it will likely be 6 home-and-homes, and then 6 one offs. Kind of a bummer. I'd rather see us play a true 22-game round robin. But I thought I heard somewhere that the NCAA doesn't allow any more than an 18-game conference reg season. Can anyone confirm this?

I'm not sure of any NCAA regulations, but the Pac-12 coaches would probably all have heart attacks over a 22 game conference schedule. Right now, the remaining Big XII coaches are lamenting going from a 16 game schedule to an 18 game schedule. The reasoning is twofold: 1. Playing the extra conference games (over a 16 game schedule) will increase the probability of even the top teams having another loss or two on their record, and thus a lower potential seeding in the NCAA tournament. 2. Playing the extra conference games decreases the ability to schedule creampuff home games to fatten up the W-L record and add $$$ to the till.

18 game schedule doesn't seem to work mathematically to me. If you play 6 home-and-homes (12 games), and a single game against the 5 remaining teams (5 games), then you are short a game. Am I missing something here?

Guest FountainofUte

I'm not sure of any NCAA regulations, but the Pac-12 coaches would probably all have heart attacks over a 22 game conference schedule. Right now, the remaining Big XII coaches are lamenting going from a 16 game schedule to an 18 game schedule. The reasoning is twofold: 1. Playing the extra conference games (over a 16 game schedule) will increase the probability of even the top teams having another loss or two on their record, and thus a lower potential seeding in the NCAA tournament. 2. Playing the extra conference games decreases the ability to schedule creampuff home games to fatten up the W-L record and add $$$ to the till.

18 game schedule doesn't seem to work mathematically to me. If you play 6 home-and-homes (12 games), and a single game against the 5 remaining teams (5 games), then you are short a game. Am I missing something here?

Nope, you're right. That comes to 17.

Just speaking for myself, I hate the creampuff games. I mean, you need a couple to tee off on to start the season, but how many regular season hoops games are there? About 30? How many creampuff games does a program need? I know a 22 ain't happening, but if it did that would still leave 8-ish games to fill; that's more than enough to tailor a pre-season to be as tough or wimpy as you want.

Guest 520james

I'm not sure of any NCAA regulations, but the Pac-12 coaches would probably all have heart attacks over a 22 game conference schedule.

meh, 22 games is not that crazy. right now they play 18 games plus the tournament. if they get rid of the pointless tournament, adding four games means just one more week of games. if they make both rivalry games the same week on top of that, they play 22 games over the same number of weeks as now

Guest Bone Crusher

meh, 22 games is not that crazy. right now they play 18 games plus the tournament. if they get rid of the pointless tournament, adding four games means just one more week of games. if they make both rivalry games the same week on top of that, they play 22 games over the same number of weeks as now

Welcome to the board...why don't you tell more UA fans to check this board out?

I can agree with what you said because those NCAA auto-bids should be awarded to a team that was the best team in conference play...all 22 games instead of one team that did so-so or worse and caught fire at the right time.

I'd love 22 conference games. Aside from a handful of made-for-TV games and the early-season tournaments, the first half of any team's college basketball season is an ABSOLUTE JOKE. I love the hoops, I really do, but there's no reason to pay attention to it until the bowl games are done and conference games start.

Guest FountainofUte

I'd love 22 conference games. Aside from a handful of made-for-TV games and the early-season tournaments, the first half of any team's college basketball season is an ABSOLUTE JOKE. I love the hoops, I really do, but there's no reason to pay attention to it until the bowl games are done and conference games start.

I totally agree. A full round robin in the PAC 12 would be awesome.

Guest jjones163

The idea of 22 games is not gaining any traction. The most likely is 18 and they will preserve traditional rivalries such as Arizona and UCLA playhing twice. They may very well use the POD system some. Over the years the arizona Utah series has been a good one. NOt so much the Arizona ASUas Arizona is 60 games ahead all time in that one and it has not been close. HOwever I would expect aRizona to p0lay Utah twice, ASU twice and UCLA twice as well as Colorado twice. This is one sport where it would be nice to have Kansas in with us.

Jim

Archived