Jon Wilner on next Pac-12 TV contract

Guest superdeluxe

Guest superdeluxe

http://blogs.mercurynews.com/collegesports/2011/02/16/pac-12-football-and-basketball-thoughts-on-the-tv-negotiations-and-a-pac-12-network/

Fox is the leader in the clubhouse:

Meanwhile, Fox has given numerous indications that it was to continue its relationship with the Pac-12, including the $25 million pot of cash it handed over for 2011-12 broadcast rights.

Look at what the network has done elsewhere:

It bid for, and won, a contract with Conference USA.

It bought the rights to the first six Big Ten football championships.

What’s more, Fox won the retransmission fight against New York CableVision that should result in more cash in its coffers, and over at News Corp., let’s not forget, income is soaring.

I’m not saying Fox plans to overtake ESPN as the leader in college sports broadcasting.

But it’s clearly ramping up its coverage – to the point, one source said, that it may consider broadcasting Pac-12 football games on the Fox over-the-air network (not FSN) to compete against ESPN/ABC in the 8 p.m. Eastern window.

Prime time games on Fox national network :blink:

Guest NashBuff

Larry Scott can only talk with Fox right now due to the exclusive window...but Fox showed Scott the money for this year's Pac-12 CCG...so it seems like Fox ain't messing around.

Guest NashBuff

Looks like the Pac-12 TV Network could be difficult to get going since Time Warner in LA still doesn't show the NFL Network...I still want the Pac-12 to be serious about an online network and that would be the smart way to go given how the means of getting television is evolving to where you can get it online.

Guest 520james

Looks like the Pac-12 TV Network could be difficult to get going since Time Warner in LA still doesn't show the NFL Network...I still want the Pac-12 to be serious about an online network and that would be the smart way to go given how the means of getting television is evolving to where you can get it online.

to be fair, one of the comments pointed out that there isn't an NFL team in LA, lol i usually forget that. So maybe that is why they aren't interested

it seems like the Pac-12 will mostly go to Fox, FX and FSN, in that order of authority

Guest mattsarz

He can talk with both ABC/ESPN and FOX, but he can only talk to them about their existing packages. So he can only negotiate with ABC/ESPN about their 20 game football package and only with FOX/FSN about the cable packages, which is the FSN football package and all other sports, including men's basketball.

If the conference wants everything under one roof, nothing gets signed in the exclusive windows.

Guest Bone Crusher

to be fair, one of the comments pointed out that there isn't an NFL team in LA, lol i usually forget that. So maybe that is why they aren't interested

it seems like the Pac-12 will mostly go to Fox, FX and FSN, in that order of authority

Larry Scott can point out that fact about LA having no NFL team and wouldn't that benefit the Pac-12 when it comes to hammering out a deal with the TV networks? Plus the Pac-12 just added another non-NFL market in Salt Lake City as well.

Guest MrBug708

Fox is strengthening its West Coast operations so I don't think there is any reason to assume Fox Sports won't own the rights to the PAC-12

Guest jjones163

Mr Bug I have to agree that Fox will land the contract. ESPN is not even really trying to make a deal and Fox wants it really badly. The only other possibility is if COMCAST or CBS wanted basd enough to ovepay for it. I believe the deal will not be done during the exclusive window period but will be done with Fox sometime late spring or early summer. I just hope it is over the $170 million total (including the PaC 12 football Championship game which should be owrth about $20 million a year. Anything under $170 and USC still get the extra $2 million per year and USC may pursue independent status which would be a really dumb move.

Remember that while Wilner has beengood at prjecting how things work out he has consistently underestimated the value of our league to TV markets. Teh Fox deal for the PaC 12 Football championship for the one year was at least twice what Wilner projected so I suspect we com in around $180 million for every thing including the football championship game and our own network. I just not am sure if the league will run the TV network or let the TV vendor run it for us.

Jim

Archived